Electric Kettle or Gas?

I've always tried to be "green" with my kettle - i.e. only putting in the water I need, but I was at my friend's today and noticed despite having an electric kettle, when he made tea, he boiled an old fashoned whistle kettle on the gas stove.

He says this is cheaper and more efficient than using an electric kettle? Is he right? Because if so I will follow his example.
Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A small electric kettle with an exposed element close to the bottom of the water jug is about as near to 100% efficient for heat transfer as you can get.

A gas flame is not only having to heat the kettle before any heat gets to the water but it's heating the hob, the kitchen, you, etc, etc..

Also, if it's started whistling, you are wasting energy on that !
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    It's definitely not more efficient using a gas kettle. It may be cheaper since gas is half the price of electricity per KWh.
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Gas may be half the price but how much longer does it take to heat using gas rather than electric? It is much more than double the time!
  • tr3mor
    roses wrote: »
    Gas may be half the price but how much longer does it take to heat using gas rather than electric? It is much more than double the time!

I wouldn't know, but that has nothing to do with the question asked.
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    I would tell you that I use a whistling kettle on a gas hob and believe it to be efficient but really can't be bothered iwith the kind of stuff that started on the Eco kettle thread. :rolleyes:
  • tr3mor
    I would tell you that I use a whistling kettle on a gas hob and believe it to be efficient but really can't be bothered iwith the kind of stuff that started on the Eco kettle thread. :rolleyes:

To be fair, as soon as the OP put the words "eco" and "kettle" in the title, the thread became pretty much a waste of time.
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    tr3mor wrote: »
    To be fair, as soon as the OP put the words "eco" and "kettle" in the title, the thread became pretty much a waste of time.

Probably best to ignore it then. :D
  • tr3mor
    Probably best to ignore it then. :D

But she wanted our opinions, and she got them! ;)
  • navig8r
    navig8r Posts: 553 Forumite
    tr3mor wrote: »

Yes! but it has a certain, "entertainment" value:rotfl:

Dave
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    i think an electric kettle will always boil alot quicker than gas
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts