PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Sale - How long left?

Options
Hey all

My father inherited a house and managed to find a seller around the 20th of Feburary this year.
He said that it's apparently a cash sale although they have used an Estate agent.
On the 28th the sale left the estate agents hand and moved to the Solicitors
On the 5th he recieved a letter saying that his solicitor is in contact with the buyers and has asked for some details about the house
On Monday called and they said that they are waiting for a date of completion to be decided on.

How long do you guys think is left on the sale to be completed?
I've read solicitors can take a very very long time and my father isnt the best at calling them and staying informed.

I'm receiving some money from the sale and me and my girlfriend are taking the step to get a place to live.
Considering it's not my money i'm finding it hard to find out about the sale as i dont want to come across as a pest and be rude.

This period of being in limbo is hard as we cant time our move yet. :money:

Thanks guys

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I guess you mean the buyer is a cash buyer - i.e. they don't need a mortgage.

However, do they have to sell a property in order to buy your father's house? If so, that sale (and any chain below it) will govern the speed of the transaction.

It's the estate agent that does 'sales progression' (i.e. chasing the buyer and seller), not the solicitor.

So you or your father should be asking the agent to check with the buyer how things are progressing.

The agent can also ask each party when they would like to complete - and then your father can inform his solicitor accordingly.

(But bear in mind that agents often put a 'positive spin' on information, so factor that in to your assessments.)
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't understand the bit about cash sale and using an estate agent? Do you mean that your father used an estate agent or the person buying has used a buying agent?

Someone offering cash does not have to sell a property first. A cash sale means that the person buying a house has got all the money needed to buy the property in the bank now ready to be paid out.

If the person buying the house has to sell a property first to get the money then this is a normal transaction it just means that the person buying your father's inherited house doesn't need a mortgage. They are not a cash buyer because they are relying on a sale to get the money needed.

A cash buyer would be better because then the only people involved would be your father and the buyer.

You need to see if you find out what it actually is that is going on. If it is a genuine cash buyer this will probably be quicker if it is someone who has to sell a house first then that could mean a long chain and so could take much longer.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 May 2017 at 4:26AM
    Options
    'Cash buyer' can be used to describe different things:

* paying cash ie not getting a loan or mortgage, but has to sell a property to get the cash
    * paying cash ie not getting a loan or mortgage, and already has the cash sitting in their bank

In some cases, people also use it for
    * Do not need to sell a peoperty so no chain, but getting a mortgage

Confusing eh?

As the delays & timeframes will be different for each, you need to know what they mean.

And whichever it is, there could be other reasons for delay arising from legal searches, probate on the property, structural survey etc

So the answer to
    House Sale - How long left?
    is "Between 2 weeks and 6 months."
  • spiretishappy
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    'Cash buyer' can be used to describe different things:

* paying cash ie not getting a loan or mortgage, but has to sell a property to get the cash
    * paying cash ie not getting a loan or mortgage, and already has the cash sitting in their bank

In some cases, people also use it for
    * Do not need to sell a property so no chain, but getting a mortgage

Confusing eh?

As the delays & timeframes will be different for each, you need to know what they mean.

And whichever it is, there could be other reasons for delay arising from legal searches, probate on the property, structural survey etc

So the answer to
    is "Between 2 weeks and 6 months."

Apologies for the lack of information. I'm receiving information second hand so i'm afraid i don't know too much.
    What i believe has happened so far is:
    I do know the buyer has bought to resell and won't be getting a mortgage.
    Everything left the hands of the Estate agents two weeks ago.
    Legal Searches have completed.
    Last week i believe Structural Survey questions were answered.
    Like i said i’m hearing second hand so i’m not 100% on everything.

The Solicitor also said he doesn't believe it will be much longer.
    He’s apparently calling today so hopefully i’ll get some more information
    It’s hard because i don’t want to pester and seem ungrateful over a situation that is due to a family loss.

Thank you :money:
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Everything left the hands of the Estate agents two weeks ago.
    The agents may have passed details to solicitors but they are very much involved as they won't get their fee until the sale goes through. As others have said it is a good idea to ask them how things are progressing.
  • spiretishappy
    Options
    He rang today they said they are waiting on the buyers solicitor to respond with a closing date.
    He's happy with all of the answered questions and such.
    Hope its not too much longer now then
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport