MSE News: MSE tells MPs of need for urgent reform to ombudsman ‘farce’

Options

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't had time to read the whole report but it seems dean Dunham was probably the benchmark for what an ombudsman probably shouldnt be.

If he has managed to behave the way he did, clearly anyone else could.

It appears dean Dunham “ resigned”. Some would call that jumping before they are pushed .

It would have been interesting to see the report on his company if he hadn’t resigned, but everyone’s Being very tight lipped about that
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    But the consumers aren’t on trial.
    Why do you say it’s a poor survey?

Do you think people who have complained and have had their complaints dismissed are impartial? its hard to be impartial when you are invested in the result.

Its like asking a load of used car salesmen if used car salesmen are trustworthy!

Instead of using a survey they could have highlighted cases when the ombudsman was obviously biased, if 60% of people thought they were (and they are right) there must by a lot of clear cut evidence, must be thousands of them.
  • hollydays
    Options
    Do you think people who have complained and have had their complaints dismissed are impartial? its hard to be impartial when you are invested in the result.

Its like asking a load of used car salesmen if used car salesmen are trustworthy!

Instead of using a survey they could have highlighted cases when the ombudsman was obviously biased, if 60% of people thought they were (and they are right) there must by a lot of clear cut evidence, must be thousands of them.

So are you saying all the participants had their complaints dismissed?
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    So are you saying all the participants had their complaints dismissed?

No, stop using strawmen.

I am saying that everyone in the survey was emotionally involved in the process, so an objective assessment of whether the ombudsman is actually biased against consumers is inherently floored.

but IF 60% of people thought the ombudsman was biased, and they were right (ombudsman biased in 60% of cases), that would equate to about 40,000 biased decisions a year (about 75k cases resolved per year), so surely finding some clear cut examples would be a piece of cake and would provide irrefutable evidence that the system doesn't work.
  • hollydays
    edited 2 November 2017 at 6:51PM
    Options
    Bearing in mind everybody surveyed after making a complaint will be emotionally invested.

Perhaps a large proportion of those surveyed( I think
    I remember mse asking people for their opinions on using ombudsmen ) were using the retail
    Ombudsman who resigned so perhaps they couldn’t include those cases accordingly.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    If the adjudicator had wanted more details he could have asked, part of the code they work with says that if they think they are lacking any information they can request more before making a judgement, he has actually stated in the judgement he did not have enough information but still made a judgement anyway, directly going against the code. If they wanted to be totally fair, should they not have charged me for my usage as a proportion of my contracted minutes/data used over the disputed period?

So where did he state he didn't have enough information?. This is the only bit you have posted related to this:
    boatman wrote: »
    I have not been provided with any information regarding any other deals he might have done had his termination request been accepted, or savings that he may have been able to achieve from this.

But that doesn't say he didn't have enough information, that says you didn't provide any information related to this so he has to assume you didn't have this information. If you had moved to another contract or could have got a better deal elsewhere then you should have mentioned this in your original complaint.

If he specifically requested information of any better deals available then people will simply go looking for this even if they hadn't considered it before so it would give them an unfair advantage.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2017 at 2:03PM
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    But that doesn't say he didn't have enough information, that says you didn't provide any information related to this so he has to assume you didn't have this information. If you had moved to another contract or could have got a better deal elsewhere then you should have mentioned this in your original complaint.
    If he specifically requested information of any better deals available then people will simply go looking for this even if they hadn't considered it before so it would give them an unfair advantage.
    To be honest I wasn't aware I would have to provide an alternative to compare contracts, I was simply not aware that that would be a requirement on deciding if EE/TMobile did or did not abide by the contract, which is what I focused on. There were a few cases before mine that had been refunded, so as far as I was concerned, provided I won, like the others, I would be repaid the money I had been forced to pay. As I said before, we were all on the same contract and leaving for the same reason, so I don't think it unreasonable to expect the same outcome from CISAS.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect most of the problems with ombudsmen services are caused by Governments creating useless regulators. eg Ofcom.
  • Dakota_2
    Dakota_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My own experience energy ombudsman biased, slow, and as much use as a chocolate fire guard. Will check if I can sue via money claim on line, much less hassle and unlikely to be biased'
  • Dakota_2
    Dakota_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yup, absolutely useless I won't waste my time with any ombudsman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure