£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• armchairexpert
    Options
    Mr Expert does the same thing with grocery shopping - buys expensive pastries or whatnot as a snack for him and the girls on the way around. Drives me batty.

Your weekly shop is only 1/8th of what you spent on food last month, so that's not the main culprit anyway. You're doing well to be keeping such careful track.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 26: day 4

Morning! Up slightly-less-insanely-early for yoga as DH is off again today (so another day of maximum work levels to try to catch up before he goes back to the office tomorrow).

I'm feeling very powerless about our pathetic budget this month - I feel like I have no particular means to improve our income, but also no means to cut our spends any further as there are certain commitments this month - children off school, holiday that we are committed to and want to actually enjoy, car service. Not a relaxing place to be.

Going for a coffee with a friend today, as both our DHs are off work for the day. I shouldn't really have agreed, but just feeling a bit frazzled and like I need a treat. I recognise this is Not A Good Thing from the point of view of debt busting - I generally try to avoid any sense of 'deserving' a treat as it's a slippery slope to expensive indulgences for me. Please feel free to give me a reality check if I start saying I 'deserve' things on a regular basis. But not today please.

Suffolk - will check out Morrisons and/or local health food shop for jumbo oats next time I need to stock up, thank you!

to do today
    1. social media for work.
    2. book surfing lesson.
    3. unpack and tidy upstairs.
    4. more laundry and ironing.
    5. make quiche for lunches while camping.
    6. 6hrs work.
    7. batch cook macaroni cheese.
    8. investigate making some homemade sandwich wraps - we go through clingfilm like it's going out of fashion, between covering bowls with it when bread making and wrapping up sarnies on days out. Also, in my hippy way, I don't like using that much plastic, in environmental or 'my food is permanently encased in plastic' terms.
    9. book DH's trains for next week - I am away seeing one of my parents with the DC so he needs a weekly train ticket plus a ticket up to meet us at the end of the week.
    10. check gas bottles - if we have enough for this weekend I might be able to avoid a trip to the camping shop entirely, which can only be good for the wallet.

to do this week
    1. as much work as I can squeeze in - any extra earnings will really make the difference this month!
    2. trip to the camping shop for gas, possibly sleeping mat, anything else that crops up as we unpack and clean everything.
    3. car service - panic about the price and wish I'd been better about saving.
    4. I'm sure I'll add more to this list as I work through my bullet journal lists today.
    5. Ooh, talk to DS1 about his birthday party - he seems up for taking one or two friends on a day out to a trampoline place or climbing wall, need to discuss further.

to do this month
    1. Pay some extra off the MBNA card - I'd like this card gone asap. More than the £15 I managed in July would be nice.
    2. Find ourselves with more than £228 in the savings account on 31st August.
    3. Keep that overall spend figure down below £3,900 (baby steps!)
    4. business planning and scheduling, so that I am ready to start making some immediate profit in September when DC3 starts preschool.
    5. think outside the box with the food budget and keep a close eye on anywhere it might be going wrong.
    6. Try not to need the child benefit money to balance August’s money, so it can go towards Septmber’s (it is paid four weekly, which is currently falling towards the back end of the month, so I have balanced the budget to work without it, and will aim to put it towards September’s income rather than August’s. We’ll see).
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • mizmir
    mizmir Posts: 3,710 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Enjoy your coffee with a friend. As indulgences go that is a good value one for the benefit it will bring. :)

You have my sympathies on the DH spending front. I always struggled to budget successfully as I'd think everything was sorted then my OH would spend on something we hadn't accounted for. It was the lack of control I couldn't manage. We have now divided our finances - extreme and probably not practical for you! - but the relief of knowing I am the only one spending is huge. We have a joint account to which we both contribute agreed amounts for household stuff. I have less to budget (OH earns a lot more) but it feels easier.

The alternative is just to give DH a rollicking for unauthorised spending! ;) Although perhaps he gets a reprieve for finding (and fixing?) that puncture!

Love your lists and good to find another BuJo addict!
  • arsenalbarnie
    Options
    Hi TOPM glad you're enjoying the camping and it does take all day just living! I remember one of mine asking my dad once, 'grandad what did we do today?' and he replied " well by the time we got up, washed dressed ate, went for a swim, ate again it was time to go back to bed!" The children had forgotten in all that time they were just playing with friends they made near us whilst we were catering, sit down, go wash up, sit down etc! I love camping, still do and wish I could go.

As for the cling film, I read Bea Johnsons book called Zero Waste Home, since then have never used it. Nor kitchen roll, only if the dog has been sick! When bread making could you use a damp tea towel to cover it? That's what I use. As for stuff in the fridge I cover bowls with plates which is quite handy as you can then stack stuff. I buy the cheap 40p wrapping foil for sandwiches which if you're careful you can smooth it out and reuse, then recycle it after. That's if you don't want to be carrying stuff around in sandwich boxes. There is a type of wax wrap you can make but can't be bothered with the faff.

Take a look at her blog one day it's called Zero Waste Home. The part where she show you her minimalist wardrobe and all the outfit combinations is very interesting and I love her house.
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Am with you on the clingfilm. When making pizza I remembered I have a large pyrex bowl with lid that I now put the dough in. And I have seen some reusable sandwich wraps that I like the look of but of course they would cost money. I think you mostly eat porridge but cereal bags are good for using for sandwiches (ask your friends to keep them, ha :p). Or could you just use sandwich boxes? We seem to have a tupperware drawer that breeds, I assume most people do.
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Enjoy your coffee it's ok as a one off. I never turn down a trip for coffee but if moneys tight I only get the coffee (or even tea as it's cheaper) and avoid the bun, sometimes toast is cheaper aswell. As far as going out with friends goes coffee is pretty cheap.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Re clingfilm on bread - we use a disposable shower cap - it lasts for ages. Just wash it up in that nice new washing up bowl along with the bowl!

I saw it on a Hairy Bikers programme and we now use disposable shower caps for any round bowl that needs a cover.

I don't think it helps with sandwiches though (!) but I use greaseproof paper (or greaseproof bags, when I can get them) for sandwiches in a plastic box. I just price-checked on my supermarket and Sainsbury's 25p a metre, Tesco 23p and Asda & Morrison's 15p
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re clingfilm on bread - we use a disposable shower cap - it lasts for ages. Just wash it up in that nice new washing up bowl along with the bowl!

What a great idea, I'm def stealing that one!

Asda do wee sandwich shaped lunch boxes for £1 in the £1 section, they are aimed at kids but who really cares?
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    quintwins wrote: »
    What a great idea, I'm def stealing that one!

Sorry to barge in but me too. Why didn't I think of that. Thanks Suffolk lass :beer:
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • emmie26
    emmie26 Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow so many good ideas, I'm from the camp of lidded Pyrex dishes and plates on bowls.

I've got to say regarding the coffee, don't sweat it. I have debt busted in two ways now, the first time I went all out and we really deprived ourselves and I worked myself into the ground. It was not enjoyable and all that happened was that as soon as the debt was repaid we went crazy having holidays and gadgets etc because we had gone without anything for so long. This time I'm not going crazy, I want to see my friends and I want to enjoy my children while they still want to spend time with me, but I have changed my budgeting so I try and balance things more and I honestly don't ever think I will stop budgeting in this way. So what I'm getting at is don't beat yourself up, you are having a coffee it's not like you just went out and spent £50 on a washing up bowl :) this month is a tough one for everyone it seems but hopefully September is better. X

Total Debt: [STRIKE]£24,359.79[/STRIKE] £16,452
    debt reduced by 32%
    Debt free date: May 2019
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family