Am I being accused of something?

Options
dekaspace
dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
Back in Jan I changed to Ebico as I am a low usage person, and due to screw ups with gas side of things ended up £30 in credit for that (they didn't wipe former tenants debt and I kept having to top up more until it reset)

At same time they gave me a £20 credit to electric meter even though I had just put on £50 myself to cover the summer.

Shortly after I recieved a letter stating Ebico was no longer going to be my supplier so I decided once the credit runs out I will change.

About 3 weeks ago I decided it will take at least another month to get rid of credit on elecric and only used £1 the entire time in gas (as its summer and only have hot water and heating for gas) so signed up with new supplier.

Got rejected by new supplier, and then swamped with letters from old supplier (well not Ebico but the supplier of Ebico) stating I haven't topped up since I opened my account, how they were thinking of sending round someone to check meter due to this, and if anything was found they will get a court order against me, or if I don't make an appointment they will get access through court.

Not an actual slip of paper but generic headered paper.

I contacted them as was angry and was told it was just badly worded, not to worry and they would log on system I had credit and was wanting to leave anyway and would get no further letters.

Got a letter today stating they need access to gas meter to do a checkup and access must be given by law and gives a date when they are in my area, and how I can arrange a direct time with them, and if I have electric meter in property they will check that too.

Seems they are eager to see my meters but letter says they havent been checked in 2 years and they haven't been able to access them in the past 6 monthly visits, well I am on pay as you go, I moved here at Christmas and have the signed documents to show meters were checked then for safety, and have a seperate Saltire gas safety checkup on Monday which includes checking the meter.

So are they treating me like an idiot and indirectly accusing me of theft? if so what can I say to them as very angry at the wording of their letters.

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    So are they treating me like an idiot and indirectly accusing me of theft? if so what can I say to them as very angry at the wording of their letters.

In a nutshell, yes. Although perhaps 'suspecting' you of theft rather than 'accusing'.

I've had numerous such letters over the years, all claiming that they need to carry out an 'essential' safety check. It is true that they have to carry out a safety check from time to time, but whenever I have had one done it has been limited to the checker flashing a torch around in the meter cupboard for no more than a minute and taking a reading.

My conclusion is the urgent need for a 'safety check' is always when my name comes up to the top of the list of people they suspect are stealing energy (partly because I am a very low user anyway).

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it apart from allow them to go through the charade and then look forward to them repeating the whole exercise in a couple of year's time.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • TheEnergyThread
    Options
    The letter stating that “We haven’t received any of your top-ups” is an automated letter that is sent out via the system if a topup has not been made in a certain amount of time due to meters prone to go into a mode where you can receive free gas/electricity especially electricity after a power cut. This mode is called freevend where the meter goes blank and you do not need to top up & continue to receive electricity even if emergency credit is used. With this mode you would be unable to check meter readings but sometimes depending on the situation they may need to send an engineer out for proof.

Regarding changing suppliers you should have a start supply date which is when the supply would of went over & not from when the credit has ran out. For example if you have £20 left on your meter on the date you are due to change, the energy would be used with the new supplier & not the one you topped up £20 with. Causing £20 credit with your old supplier & £20 Debit with your new. You should be able to claim a refund 28 days after COS date or when you receive your final statement & place it towards your new suppliers bill or depending on the T&Cs they will clear this amount of for you.

Regarding the appointment if it is a must inspect it has to be booked or they will apply to the magistrates to get a warrant & apply fees. Better just to get it booked In with piece in mind. Regarding the gas ofcourse there is a safety check that needs to be done every 2 years, or they will cap that & leave you without gas until a safety check has commenced.

Hope this helps :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a similar problem, you could try ringing Ofgem.

I was billed for electricity I hadn't used, due to a mistake that wasn't mine. Each time I rang they said they'd put it right, but then just sent another copy of the wrong bill. After a year I got a letter from a debt collection agency but they waived the whole bill and sent £30 compensation after I rang Ofgem. I checked if they had credit blacklisted me, and they said no.

Wind the clock forward about 10 years, and I was trying to switch back to the same company (SSE), but they said that I would have to pay in advance because of a bad credit rating. When I challenged them to tell me who was giving me a bad rating and why, they backed down immediately and stopped asking for payment in advance.
  • TheEnergyThread
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    I had a similar problem, you could try ringing Ofgem.

I was billed for electricity I hadn't used, due to a mistake that wasn't mine. Each time I rang they said they'd put it right, but then just sent another copy of the wrong bill. After a year I got a letter from a debt collection agency but they waived the whole bill and sent £30 compensation after I rang Ofgem. I checked if they had credit blacklisted me, and they said no.

Wind the clock forward about 10 years, and I was trying to switch back to the same company (SSE), but they said that I would have to pay in advance because of a bad credit rating. When I challenged them to tell me who was giving me a bad rating and why, they backed down immediately and stopped asking for payment in advance.

Never come across this before if you was billed incorrectly and you are not at fault but the supplier is you may be eligible for back billing, due to you stating that it has been over 12 months & would need to mention this to the supplier. Also regarding the bad credit rating you can find that out, usually majority of energy suppliers use equifax if you get in contact with them they will advice where & who has blacklisted you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Also regarding the bad credit rating you can find that out, usually majority of energy suppliers use equifax if you get in contact with them they will advice where & who has blacklisted you.

I don't think I am blacklisted with a credit reference agency, it must have just been SSEs own records from the previous incident. It can't still be there now, because I'm currently back with them for a third time, and they didn't ask for any advance payments this time round.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 3:08PM
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Back in Jan I changed to Ebico as I am a low usage person, and due to screw ups with gas side of things ended up £30 in credit for that (they didn't wipe former tenants debt and I kept having to top up more until it reset)

At same time they gave me a £20 credit to electric meter even though I had just put on £50 myself to cover the summer.

Shortly after I recieved a letter stating Ebico was no longer going to be my supplier so I decided once the credit runs out I will change.

About 3 weeks ago I decided it will take at least another month to get rid of credit on elecric and only used £1 the entire time in gas (as its summer and only have hot water and heating for gas) so signed up with new supplier.

Got rejected by new supplier, and then swamped with letters from old supplier (well not Ebico but the supplier of Ebico) stating I haven't topped up since I opened my account, how they were thinking of sending round someone to check meter due to this, and if anything was found they will get a court order against me, or if I don't make an appointment they will get access through court.

Not an actual slip of paper but generic headered paper.

I contacted them as was angry and was told it was just badly worded, not to worry and they would log on system I had credit and was wanting to leave anyway and would get no further letters.

Got a letter today stating they need access to gas meter to do a checkup and access must be given by law and gives a date when they are in my area, and how I can arrange a direct time with them, and if I have electric meter in property they will check that too.

Seems they are eager to see my meters but letter says they havent been checked in 2 years and they haven't been able to access them in the past 6 monthly visits, well I am on pay as you go, I moved here at Christmas and have the signed documents to show meters were checked then for safety, and have a seperate Saltire gas safety checkup on Monday which includes checking the meter.

Npower use the same generic "must inspect " wording which mentions the possibility of warrants but they were the only one going as far as at.
    Prepay meters are more important to safety check than credit meters IMO. At least 90% of the dangerously bypassed meters I find are all prepayment meters, simply because they are much easier to fiddle. All suppliers should be checking these at least every year, just to save the occupiers from their own ham fisted fiddles putting their lives and their families and the next doors property at risk at the same time,
    Looks like RHE , or their former bosses at SSE, have also copied this rather extreme wording.You will not see this wording on any other of the big 6, they play it safe, even though it is badly needed in gaining access to properties who continue to deny it when a meter reader comes knocking.
    Personally I can t see what your problem is, just do what most people do and let the supplier have what is their legal right to check both meters as and when they require, not when you think it is needed.
    Odd that you are not crediting the gas prepay, is it a no standing charge tariff ? Standing charges build up and show as debt on the first screen of the gas prepay meter
    My meter reading friend found a bypassed gas prepay only last week with £480 standing charges in debt.Scottish Power , who the supplier is, had not achieved access to this fiddled meter allowing the occupiers to steal approx 5 to 6 years of gas. Scottish Power have a policy of not forcing the issue with accessing properties and are loathe to take out any warrants of access. This leads occupiers to get away with it for years and years when suppliers like Npower, Scottish Power, EDF abuse the two year meter inspection rule set by OFGEM.
    A small detail which applies to anyone refusing access for meter inspections.Their house insurance will not be covered if in the unlikely event that a gas explosion from leaking meters/bypassed and wiring associated with the electric meter is tampered with.
    So your question "Am I being accused of anything ? No, certainly not, but there are good reason for suppliers to sometimes force the issue a little. I would suggest to suppliers to drop the little threats in their standard letters to their customers..BG certainly don t do that and they should be the yardstick. They are the experts in Revenue Protection, the only ones to take it seriously and they manage not to send out letters which antagonise people
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Npower use the same generic "must inspect " wording which mentions the possibility of warrants but they were the only one going as far as at.
    Prepay meters are more important to safety check than credit meters IMO. At least 90% of the dangerously bypassed meters I find are all prepayment meters, simply because they are much easier to fiddle. All suppliers should be checking these at least every year, just to save the occupiers from their own ham fisted fiddles putting their lives and their families and the next doors property at risk at the same time,
    Looks like RHE , or their former bosses at SSE, have also copied this rather extreme wording.You will not see this wording on any other of the big 6, they play it safe, even though it is badly needed in gaining access to properties who continue to deny it when a meter reader comes knocking.
    Personally I can t see what your problem is, just do what most people do and let the supplier have what is their legal right to check both meters as and when they require, not when you think it is needed.
    Odd that you are not crediting the gas prepay, is it a no standing charge tariff ? Standing charges build up and show as debt on the first screen of the gas prepay meter
    My meter reading friend found a bypassed gas prepay only last week with £480 standing charges in debt.Scottish Power , who the supplier is, had not achieved access to this fiddled meter allowing the occupiers to steal approx 5 to 6 years of gas. Scottish Power have a policy of not forcing the issue with accessing properties and are loathe to take out any warrants of access. This leads occupiers to get away with it for years and years when suppliers like Npower, Scottish Power, EDF abuse the two year meter inspection rule set by OFGEM.
    A small detail which applies to anyone refusing access for meter inspections.Their house insurance will not be covered if in the unlikely event that a gas explosion from leaking meters/bypassed and wiring associated with the electric meter is tampered with.
    So your question "Am I being accused of anything ? No, certainly not, but there are good reason for suppliers to sometimes force the issue a little. I would suggest to suppliers to drop the little threats in their standard letters to their customers..BG certainly don t do that and they should be the yardstick. They are the experts in Revenue Protection, the only ones to take it seriously and they manage not to send out letters which antagonise people

Its a no standing charge in part because I know over summer months usage will be bear zero as my usage proves since I only have hot water and heating on it,

And I normally used to top up a few quid a month until they screwed up the top up as former tenant left debt, so in the end I was £30 in credit, else I would of topped up a few quid at most in summer.

What I have a problem with is their agression and assumptions, its not my fault they screwed up in past, its not my fault due to those screw ups I had excess credit, its not my fault they had their system to log me as not topping up after I was changed to their system despite not wanting to be, its not my fault they rejected me moving supplier

It also annoys me how they are hiding their suspicions behind lies, for them to put in the letter that "if I have a electric meter it will be inspected at same time" implies they want to check the meters not out of safety.

Also as part of my gas safety check Saltire check my meters and havent found problems.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...BG certainly don t do that and they should be the yardstick. They are the experts in Revenue Protection, the only ones to take it seriously and they manage not to send out letters which antagonise people

BG are no better than any other supplier, and their letters can be every bit as antagonistic as those of other companies.

My favourite BG experience came when they hadn't read my meter for two years. Between sending out a bill and claiming the direct debit payment, the BG computer system cancelled the direct debit. I then got a torrent of demands for payment, threat-o-grams that my supply was going to be cut off, and best of all (received on the same day) notifications that dates had been set for separate applications to the magistrates for warrants to (a) cut me off and (b) carry out a 'safety' check.

After some phone calls I discovered that BG had a system in place that automatically cancelled direct debits if the meter hadn't been read for two years - the logic was to prevent a situation where the customer was sitting dead in their armchair but still being billed for gas.

But due to half-a*$ed programming, rather than blocking the DD and sending a polite enquiry letter, the system just cancelled the DD and then triggered a $h1*storm.

So please don't claim that BG are angels and do everything correctly... many of us on here have experience to the contrary. In my case I earned £50 compensation, so I don't hold a grudge :)
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2017 at 9:24AM
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    BG are no better than any other supplier, and their letters can be every bit as antagonistic as those of other companies.

My favourite BG experience came when they hadn't read my meter for two years. Between sending out a bill and claiming the direct debit payment, the BG computer system cancelled the direct debit. I then got a torrent of demands for payment, threat-o-grams that my supply was going to be cut off, and best of all (received on the same day) notifications that dates had been set for separate applications to the magistrates for warrants to (a) cut me off and (b) carry out a 'safety' check.

After some phone calls I discovered that BG had a system in place that automatically cancelled direct debits if the meter hadn't been read for two years - the logic was to prevent a situation where the customer was sitting dead in their armchair but still being billed for gas.

But due to half-a*$ed programming, rather than blocking the DD and sending a polite enquiry letter, the system just cancelled the DD and then triggered a $h1*storm.

So please don't claim that BG are angels and do everything correctly... many of us on here have experience to the contrary. In my case I earned £50 compensation, so I don't hold a grudge :)
    I would dearly like to see any "threat " letters you have received from BG where a threat is implied to cut someone off or disconnect or apply for a warrant merely because of the two year safety check ove running. Not plausible !
    I have been delivering their safety check cards for years and nowhere is that sort of language used..
    No one gets cut off nowadays anyway unless they have been caught bypassing meters at least three times. Even these are not followed if there are children or vulnerable occupiers in the property.
    The gas meter is occasionally is disconnected only in extreme circumstances but the usual method for people intent on the theft of energy ( by point blank refusal to pay for it ) is to simply replace the credit meters with prepayment meters.If occupiers won t allow it, then a warrant is obtained with a Magistrates backing. No one go s to court neither for non payment or theft and criminal damage for stealing energy in the UK.
    Prosecutions are extremely rare and the ones that do go to court are associated with cannabis growing with bypassing of the electric meter to cultivate is involved.
    Why did nt you allow a meter check or arrange a suitable time ? Its no big deal once every two years
    Cancelling a direct debit because of the over run of a mere safety check seems absolutely stupid ! Thats the last thing a supplier would want to do just because of a formality has not been covered. They want your money as fast as possible surely ! I ve got occupiers on my rota who have never ever allowed BG to inspect meters in over 12 years ! .RPU have checked their payment record and can t be bothered to get heavy handed with this weirdo family, so they leave it at that..No safety checks whatsoever.They are not the only ones neither.
    It is common practice to run a payment check before taking action. If all is OK and they pay the going rate , it is left at that.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would dearly like to see any "threat " letters you have received from BG where a threat is implied to cut someone off or disconnect or apply for a warrant merely because of the two year safety check ove running. Not plausible !

I have the letter in front of me. I'll see what I can do about scanning it, but the body of the letter reads:
    Dear Customer
    FINAL WARNING

We are applying for a warrant to enter your premises

We must carry out a visual safety inspection of your gas meter

We have previously written to you and called at your premises but, despite our efforts, we have been unable to gain access to your gas meter to carry out the obligatory visual safety inspection.

As this is a legal requirement for your safety, we are applying to a Magistrates' court for a warrant to enter your premises to inspect your meter on 31 March 20[**]. This is in accordance with the Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954.

The hearing will take place at [*****] Magistrates' Court, [address of court] on [10 days from date of letter] at 9:30am. If you wish to make any representations you should attend the hearing on the date and times stated. If you wish to discuss these arrangements please call us as soon as possible on 0845 [*******].

If we are granted a warrant you must arrange for us to have access on 31 March 20[**], otherwise we will have to force entry using the services of a locksmith. If necessary, the police may be in attendance to prevent a breach of the peace.

Yours sincerely
    [******]
    Credit Manager

Why would a 'Credit Manager' be signing a letter about a 'visual safety inspection'? :think:
    Why did nt you allow a meter check or arrange a suitable time ? Its no big deal once every two years.
    Because at the time I was leaving home at 7am and coming home at 9pm. BG only worked Monday to Friday 8am to 4:30pm. I had responded to their previous enquiries saying the times offered were not convenient, after a while they stopped asking. I then went away from home (work related) and came back to a pile of letters, just before the date of the court hearing. If I'd been away longer then I imagine I would have come home to find a new lock on my front door.
    Cancelling a direct debit because of the over run of a mere safety check seems absolutely stupid !
    Agreed. But the DD was actually cancelled only because they hadn't read the meter themselves. But they had accepted numerous customer readings. The story about protecting dead customers sitting in armchairs made no sense, as presumably the dead customer wouldn't have been giving regular meter reads either, unless via a medium.
    It is common practice to run a payment check before taking action. If all is OK and they pay the going rate , it is left at that.
    Apparently not then, although things might be different now. After all, they did *promise* to review their proceedures as a result of my complaints ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport