How to make up the difference between benefits and bills

Options

Comments

• bigbulldog
    bigbulldog Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It would be lovely if the Op came back with a humbled response! I won't hold my breath.

I did in which I turned blue and fell over.:D
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    you could 'demand' all you want, but that isn't the same thing as getting it!

first of all you would have to be eligible for social housing in the first place, and then wait, in some areas, MANY years for a property to become available.

just because you 'need' a certain number of bedrooms doesn't mean you would get them!

i know someone that had 7 kids in a 2 bed house.

they youngest were 4 and the eldest had left home before a 3 bed became available
    As Savile stated, he was being sarcastic, but certain council tenants with larger families do demand more.

I think there is a big difference, though, between older children of the same sex sharing (very inappropriate) and older children of the same sex sharing (just desirable to have your own room).

My son has had to wait a number of years for a 3 bed house, as their daughter has had to sleep in her parents' room (again inappropriate),but this should have priority over a family where it would be desirable the 16-year -old daughter to not have to share with her 14-year-old sister.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2017 at 8:33PM
    Options
    NYM wrote: »
    Life is full of 'what if's..'

Sometimes, no matter how well prepared you think you may be, something comes along and totally turns your world upside down.
    Indeed, but common sense should tell you that during the 18 years+ it takes to raise children to adulthood, you are more likely to be in for a tougher time if there's 7 kids to support rather than one or two, should something like job loss or ill-health occur.
  • bunglebus
    bunglebus Posts: 19 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the replies - it has made interesting reading. It seems that a lot of you thought I was moaning or expecting more money than we get; I wasn't, I was questioning the system and how it functions.
    The answers regarding housing benefit V rent are interesting, I could see greedy landlords exploiting that (I think £750 is a lot to pay but the house next door has just gone on the market for £850).
    I agree with some points e.g. we could move, although that has it's own cost implications, 22 year old could get his own place/increase what he pays us, I could look at part time employment (I have investigated this quite a lot actually). The Motability car may go, I was never keen on using the money that way as I have always run cheap cars and looked after them myself. Since having an accident recently my wife is questioning the value of having a Motab vehicle as opposed to buying one cheaply ourselves. Getting rid of the pets? No. They came with the wife and the pleasure they provide far outweighs a few pounds in food, plus the dog eats leftovers - recycling!
    The other son is 17 and in full time (well 4 days per week) education so I can't expect him to get a job - yet. I agree that he especially could help at home more which would free up my time to earn money.
    I would also like to point out I have worked full time since I was 17, I turn 40 on Monday and it does not sit well with me that I don't have a conventional paid job since leaving work in December 2014 - but some have said to me I am paid to be a carer so that is now my employment.

Again thanks for the replies, apologies about any arguments that have come about as a result of this thread but I was just interested in opinions about how benefits are calculated.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 March 2017 at 2:17PM
    Options
    bunglebus wrote: »
    My question is simple: How is one expected to survive off benefits when they do not pay the full amount of the expenditure they're meant to cover?

Our rent is £750 PCM, our housing benefit is £607.64 as per the local government maximum. We are entitled to and need the three bedrooms in our house, 1 adult son who works a low paid job and gives us a bit of housekeeping, one teenaged son in full time education.
    We have a dog and two cats so moving is made difficult as few landlords will accept pets, plus if you don't have any money how do you pay for moving costs, deposit etc etc?

Our council tax is £1419.46 P/A, of which £1102.57 is covered by Council Tax Support. This leaves approx £168.77 PCM shortfall between rent and council tax.

We receive PIP as my wife is disabled, Standard Daily Living and Enhanced Mobility which is used for her Motability car. I receive Carer's Allowance and Income Support.

We moved here just over four years ago, I was working full time until Dec 2015 but now I am her full time carer.

I'm looking into a Discretionary Housing Payment but my main question is, how are we meant to make ends meet? I asked this question during a call about benefits to the powers that be, and they just said no-one gets the full amount.

Please look into this (send in the application with details of income and expensiture) as soon as possible as LA's at this time of the month are desperate to use up the money they receive, as if not they don't get the same in April for the new year
    Sorry forgot to add - that's if they have any left to award a DHP
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The other son is 17 and in full time (well 4 days per week) education so I can't expect him to get a job - yet. I agree that he especially could help at home more which would free up my time to earn money.

He could get part time work. My son is at college full time but got a job last year as a Christmas temp in a shop working weekends plus occasional overtime around his college hours if they're short staffed. They're that impressed with his attitude and work ethic that they've kept him on.

He now buys all his own clothes, toiletries and snack food. This means he's not as expensive as he used to be which would be a help to you.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options

Why? Both my two worked Saturdays and an occasional evening whilst in the 6th form as well as some temp work in the holidays. They were both in full time education and lots of extracurricular activites. They both got good A level grades and went on to do academic subjects at good universities.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When in the sixth form, five days a week and with lots of homework (grammar school which had very high expectations) a number of my friends had weekend jobs (two worked in bakery).
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Plenty of work in Macdonalds for young people, my lads been there since 16 and they give him shifts around his course work to suit him.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Becles wrote: »
    He could get part time work. My son is at college full time but got a job last year as a Christmas temp in a shop working weekends plus occasional overtime around his college hours if they're short staffed. They're that impressed with his attitude and work ethic that they've kept him on.

He now buys all his own clothes, toiletries and snack food. This means he's not as expensive as he used to be which would be a help to you.

My 16 year old daughter is at college 3 days, work placement 2 days and also does 2 dance classes a week, she's worked since she got her NI number, currently doing 2 shifts per week at the local pub, it's a carvery type place, there's loads of teenagers work there. I don't see why the OP's 17 year old couldn't get a part time job to help out financially. It means i don't have to fund her days out/clothes/make up/music/phone etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure