2»

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They say:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I would advise that changes in all the Society's variable interest rates will tend to follow movements in the official Bank Rate, but there may be exceptions to this, for example, due to a change in the competitiveness of a product or its underlying profitability.

However, any changes in our savings rates that represent a material deviation from the movement of the official Bank rate, whether up or down, will be considered to have had a disadvantageous effect on the interest paid on Members. 'Material' is defined as:
    A reduction of 0.25% or more relative to the official Bank rate in any one
    rate change, or
    A cumulative reduction of 0.50% or more relative to the official Bank Rate
    in the previous 12 months.
    If you have a variable rate savings account with £500 or more in it and a change in your interest rate is a material deviation from the movement in the official Bank Rate, we will contact you personally to tell you:
    When the change will take place
    About other savings accounts available and offer to help you to switch to
    one of these accounts if you want to
    That you can withdraw all the money in your account, and
    That you have 30 days from the date you receive notification to switch to
    another account or withdraw the money without any notice period or
    charges.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>

So they have to give you access if they drop the rate, unless it is because base rate has dropped as well. Does that make it better than a fixed rate bond or an access account? Not really.

But it does mean that you shouldn't be scared of notice accounts I suppose (if you can get a higher rate than for instant access) - if they drop the rate, notice accounts become instant access for 30 days. I think this is true for all institutions now due to FSA regulations, not just Progressive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure