eBay 'See Full Item Description' button

Options
Has anyone else seen this? It seems to have just happened today, and only when using Firefox. Instead of showing the full item description it shows a few words which appear to be randomly pulled together from the seller's description and a button that says 'See full item description' which when clicked opens the description in a new tab.

It looks horrible, makes browsing tedious and will surely lead to a massive increase in 'item not as described' issues and returns.

Comments

• goodfella66
    goodfella66 Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks normal on Chrome.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a thread on the PS board. It appears (at the moment) to be browser specific.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,681 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use Safari or Chrome instead.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • GeologyRocks
    GeologyRocks Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not interested in switching browser, Firefox isn't my main browser anyway.

Just thought I'd bring up the issue if not already known about.

What's the PS board?
  • Brywalker
    Brywalker Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

What's the PS board?

The Powerseller Board on Ebay forums.
  • TKPeters
    TKPeters Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Options
    As mentioned yesterday on the PS Board, it was affecting Chrome, today its Firefox
  • TKPeters
    TKPeters Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Options
    From eBay;

Hi Everyone,

Please see below for clarification to your questions and some more information provided by the team:

Why am I seeing this for my listings, and other sellers say they are not?
    Any seller may be included in the test as a buyer. This means you may see this on your own listings (as well as other listings) on the item page. Keep in mind that most of your buyers will not see this experience.

Is this test putting my listings at a disadvantage, compared to listings by other sellers?
    No. Only a small percentage of buyers are seeing this experience, so very few will see it for your listings. Any who do will also see the same experience for all other listings, so you are not at any disadvantage vs other sellers with these buyers.

Are my listings being targeted because I am using a third-party provider?
    No. This experience is only dependent on who the buyer is. It is not affected by which listing is being viewed, or who the seller is.

If you have been included in the test as a buyer, then you will see the same experience on any listings you view.

Is this permanent? Will all of my listings look like this from now on?
    No. This test is being conducted for a couple of weeks, and then it will end.

Should I assume that this is a preview of an experience that will eventually become permanent?
    Not necessarily. Tests are designed to focus on certain capabilities to determine the impact on many marketplace factors such as sales, returns, and not as described cases.
    Like most online businesses, eBay performs short-term tests on a daily basis. We carefully observe the impact of each test:
    • How does this change improve the buying experience?
    • How does this change improve the overall conversion for sellers?
    • Which change has no observable impact?

Please note that if a test demonstrates measurable adverse impact, we discontinue the test.

How can I tell if this test is affecting my business? Can I opt out?
    To ensure validity of results, short-term tests do not include an opt-out capability. Since only a small percentage of buyers is included, you should not see an impact on your sales as the vast majority buyers will continue to see the full description. You can always check your sales trends in Seller Hub.

Hope this helps,
    Sarah
  • emmbrook
    emmbrook Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm seeing this when I view listings in Chrome. It's not an improvement....
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Moving to something similar to the mobile view? So you will just get a list of item title and username etc and you need to click through to actually see the details?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure