eBay purchase arrived damaged. How exposed am I?

Options

Comments

• bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the reponse. It's camera gear worth £600 so I am trying to make sure nothing goes wrong. Unlikely eBay will refund and tell me to keep it!

The address on the sellers eBay account is a flat in oxford. When he accepted the return, he sent a message via eBay messages asking me to return it to a house in Woking (presumably because the return thread wouldn't allow any more messages once the return had been accepted). I have no idea if it's because he has moved or if both addresses are still valid but I know I don't want any issues about sending to somewhere where he isn't.

I thought if he sent a prepaid label then that would remove the problem as I could demonstrate I sent it where he wanted. The issue is if eBay generate the label then surely they'll go off of the address on the account?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bluep wrote: »
    Thanks for the reponse. It's camera gear worth £600 so I am trying to make sure nothing goes wrong. Unlikely eBay will refund and tell me to keep it!

The address on the sellers eBay account is a flat in oxford. When he accepted the return, he sent a message via eBay messages asking me to return it to a house in Woking (presumably because the return thread wouldn't allow any more messages once the return had been accepted). I have no idea if it's because he has moved or if both addresses are still valid but I know I don't want any issues about sending to somewhere where he isn't.

I thought if he sent a prepaid label then that would remove the problem as I could demonstrate I sent it where he wanted. The issue is if eBay generate the label then surely they'll go off of the address on the account?

If he sent a prepaid label, he would have full control. As he hasn't, then the Ebay label will take priority.

You could reply to his message along those lines. He can still provide you a label.
  • bluep
    Options
    I've sent him a message stating the issue with the discrepancy around the eBay address and the address he has provided. I also said that as he hasn't provided a pre-paid postage label I am going to ask eBay to step in therefore he needs to make sure that his ebay account reflects the appropriate address for the return as that is the one they will use.

He's been a bit rubbish at responding to messages though so I'm kind of stuck at the moment. I REALLY don't want to send it (even with eBay's label) to an old address as it's worth so much money and it could go missing or the couriers return it.
  • bluep
    Options
    So still no response from the seller. I escalated to eBay and they are sending me a prepaid label. They will not do this for any other address than registered to his account and according to them he apparently is unable to change it now. So they said return it to that address and it's his responsibility to go get it. They will refund me as soon as it's delivered. If it gets returned to me by the courier as undelivered then they said I'd get a refund anyway. I'm nervous about doing this but the seller has not been cooperative at all and I can't see what else I can do. If I were him I'd be might cheesed about such a valuable item being sent like 3 hours away. I'm going to write on the parcel DO NOt LEAVE WITH NEIGHBOUR. ADDRESSEE ONLY.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So still no response from the seller. I escalated to eBay and they are sending me a prepaid label. They will not do this for any other address than registered to his account and according to them he apparently is unable to change it now. So they said return it to that address and it's his responsibility to go get it. They will refund me as soon as it's delivered. If it gets returned to me by the courier as undelivered then they said I'd get a refund anyway. I'm nervous about doing this but the seller has not been cooperative at all and I can't see what else I can do. If I were him I'd be might cheesed about such a valuable item being sent like 3 hours away. I'm going to write on the parcel DO NOt LEAVE WITH NEIGHBOUR. ADDRESSEE ONLY.

I can only carry on saying what I have said before, you do not need to prove delivery, only an attempt at delivery. So if a neighbour takes it in that is the sellers problem not yours.

However, if you prefer not to follow the advice of random people on the Internet , and I don't blame you, then read the rules on eBay yourself or use Live chat and get them to confirm that you will get a refund as soon as any attempt at delivery is made.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bluep
    Options
    As I said in my post, I am following eBay's advice that is the same as ours. And I wouldn't do anything else - the seller has just messaged me to insist I return it to his other address and he will take it for testin and repair and then refund me. I have very firmly said no and either he provides me with a prepaid label today for his other address or I will be sending it with eBay's label to his registered account address. He just isn't understanding how this works so my sympathy for his £600 camera set ending up with some stranger is starting to wane.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As I said in my post, I am following eBay's advice that is the same as ours. And I wouldn't do anything else - the seller has just messaged me to insist I return it to his other address and he will take it for testin and repair and then refund me. I have very firmly said no and either he provides me with a prepaid label today for his other address or I will be sending it with eBay's label to his registered account address. He just isn't understanding how this works so my sympathy for his £600 camera set ending up with some stranger is starting to wane.

DO NOT send it to any other address than the one on the ebay records.

If he has moved any didn't update his details that is his fault not yours.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Why are you asking seller to send you a label with a different address? The ebay label is the one you need to have the tracking show as an attempted delivery, if seller sends you another one now what are you going to do then, just risk it and post and gamble he will suddenly turn nice and refund you?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're greatly overthinking this. Follow Ebay's instructions and return the item using the label they have provided.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

If you now use his label you may find that eBay don't refund you. If they have supplied a label you should use it and there will be NO dispute about the delivery address as it's tough luck on him.

Ask yourself this. If he was so adamant he wanted it to his abc address, why didn't he supply a label when he had the opportunity, all 8 days of opportunity.

If you ignore ebay's label now that it has been escalated then do so at your peril. You will not be guaranteed to get your money back. Any of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure