£700 Housing benefit over payment??

Options
I received a letter today saying that my housing benefit has been stopped and following on from new information from HMRC from April 2014 to June 2017 my award has been reassessed and I owe £750 in overpayment.

It goes on about me getting pay rise in April 2017 from X company. Now I have not worked for the mentioned company since 2013 nor have I had a pay rise since 2014.

I phoned them they passed the buck onto HMRC information and to contact them. They were closed when I phoned but I phoned tax credits as I also receive tax credits and both tax credits and HB seem to be linked, when one goes down the other goes up and vice versa but according to Tax credits everything is perfect on there end.

Not sure what I do now??

Comments

• you need to phone them back. You can't just say "oh I phoned them but they were closed".
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The problem isn't going to go away. You need to call back tomorrow, and keep calling until you get things sorted. The error may not be your fault but it does fall to you to inform the correct people about the issue.
  • We get updates from HMRC so it looks like they have had updated wage details from HMRC that differ from the details you have previously provided the HB Department.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We get updates from HMRC so it looks like they have had updated wage details from HMRC that differ from the details you have previously provided the HB Department.

They know what I earn though, they have to because if I do overtime they phone to inquire about the extra money. Similarly, if something in my circumstances changes and I phone tax credits about it, its changed instantly with HB, Like when I had a slight overpayment in tax credits a few years back, they reduced tax credits slightly, HB went up. I phoned CAB about this today and they found it quite confusing as they also told me all is linked, both parties know exactly whats coming in and whats going where.

If there is a !!!! up its certainly not my doing but I won't know until tomorrow whats happened.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ring HMRC shortly before 8am.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    - and confirm what was said, with whom, which office, date, time in writing, keep copy.
  • n1guy
    Options
    Well I phoned hmrc. Nope everything is fine on there end including my employment history. No pay rises etc. It’s clear someone in hb has made a !!!! up years ago and is now trying to cover there tracks. What do I do now
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does the letter from the council give you the chance to appeal or ask for a reconsideration of the decision?
  • n1guy
    Options
    Yes within 1 month. I’ve caught them out I think. Someone made a !!!! up years ago, they reviewed the information and someone has spotted this and tried to blame things like pay rises etc when hmrc have denied all this. I’m defenatly not in the wrong but will that really matter at the end of the day?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure