We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Chives clump

Options
Gers
Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
I've been out this morning to cut some chives and found that it's been invaded by grass. Now it's impossible to cut a chunk of chives and so did it one by one - not ideal.

Seems that long grass is springing up everywhere, the type with tube like leaves folded over.

Is the only answer to this problem to nuture a new sowing of chives and keep an eye on it better?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Is the only answer to this problem to nuture a new sowing of chives and keep an eye on it better?

Keep an eye on it better, in its own space, but no need to sow fresh.
    Just dig it up, tease the chives from the grass.....or the other way round ;)....and replant slightly deeper, taking care to water well , not that you usually need to where you are! :rotfl:

If you want to plant seed, get some garlic chives. Nice flowers at a different time from t'other chives, and a different taste too. :)
  • Justagardener
    Options
    Are you sure it's grass and not baby chives that have germinated in the warm weather?
  • Gers
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Keep an eye on it better, in its own space, but no need to sow fresh.
    Just dig it up, tease the chives from the grass.....or the other way round ;)....and replant slightly deeper, taking care to water well , not that you usually need to where you are! :rotfl:

If you want to plant seed, get some garlic chives. Nice flowers at a different time from t'other chives, and a different taste too. :)

That's what I thought... :( the chives are in a bed a little way from the lawn so I think it's just spread. Got lots of clumps of out of place grass growing. Garlic chives sound perfect!
    Are you sure it's grass and not baby chives that have germinated in the warm weather?

No, definitely grass - I tasted it. :rotfl:

thanks both.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aside from suggesting you just "moo" and enjoy your new-found diet, keeping the grass from spreading in future is certainly a problem to face up to.

The chives will benefit from being dug up and replanted every so often (2 - 3 years) spread out rather more. Even tiny chives will fatten up in a year. You can grow them in a barrier system: kick the bottom out of a large bucket or flowerpot, and plant them in this. The rim can be just below soil level for tidiness.

You'll get better flavour if you treat them a bit mean, bit of gravel/rubble/junk in with your worst soil, planted in your driest (ha ha ha), sunniest (ditto) spot.

You may find it easiest to tease the roots apart in a bucket of water, or under a running hose. They are quite tough, though.

Out of interest, you can just about survive on a diet of grass... just!
  • Gers
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Aside from suggesting you just "moo" and enjoy your new-found diet, keeping the grass from spreading in future is certainly a problem to face up to.

The chives will benefit from being dug up and replanted every so often (2 - 3 years) spread out rather more. Even tiny chives will fatten up in a year. You can grow them in a barrier system: kick the bottom out of a large bucket or flowerpot, and plant them in this. The rim can be just below soil level for tidiness.

You'll get better flavour if you treat them a bit mean, bit of gravel/rubble/junk in with your worst soil, planted in your driest (ha ha ha), sunniest (ditto) spot.

You may find it easiest to tease the roots apart in a bucket of water, or under a running hose. They are quite tough, though.

Out of interest, you can just about survive on a diet of grass... just!

Excellent advice! We've been here two summers now and the chives are well established so it's perhaps best to 'sort them out' now. The soil is often wet and we do get sunshine every third month between the hours of 2.30pm and 2.42pm.

😄
  • Gers
    edited 1 May 2017 at 2:11PM
    Options
    Just an update about my chives - the blokes I hired to tidy up my garden tidied away the chives too.

I've now planted a new chives plant and a garlic chives too. The garlic chives looked a bit weak to start with but it's perked up now. The soil here is very stony, it's as if a whole load (loads and loads) of small gravel type stones have been mixed in everywhere. It's very difficult to dig a large hole.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure