How long can you leave a bank account unattended?

Options
Children have a halifax bank account which was last used in 2007. Was wondering how long can you leave a bank account unused before the bank takes action.
Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D

Comments

• Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    I would have thought any action by them would involve them trying to contact you first so make sure they have the right address for you.

For it to be classed as a 'Dormant Bank Account' its 15 years from when no withdrawals/deposits or account enquiries have been made.
    Even then you can get the money back providing you can prove it was yours.

Don't know how much you have in these children's accounts but as a side note it may be wise to check the rate!
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • tell_it_how_it_is
    Options
    I think the 15 years is the point at which the government can raid the account, but it can be made dormant within 1-3 years, depending on the bank in question.

My current account at Lloyds was dormant when I went to sort it after five years. I chose to keep it going and had to provide all documentation and go through all checks again to reactivate.

I'd advise you visit to sort it just the same, even if it is ultimately to move any remaining funds into a better, more suitable account.
    “In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing at all.” - Roosevelt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure