Can you refund something you bought at full price then buy it straight back in sale?

Options
Hi,does anybody know the law around returning an item bought at full price and buying it back now it's in the sale?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Assuming you meet the terms of the refund in any individual shop then there is nothing to stop you returning an item.

Obviously you have to rely on that same item still being available on the shop floor in the sale, and you can't insist on buying the one you have just returned, but at the sale price.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And further to Soolin's points...

The shop can refuse a sale to anyone.
    So if the shop think you are taking advantage, for example, they could process the refund and refuse your offer to purchase at the lower price.

Unlikely, but you did ask about the law. :D
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    Law also would dictate that as there is no fault with the product the retailer is perfectly within their rights to refuse to return the item if it's bought in store. Most will as a good will gesture return it but legally, they're under no obligation to do so if I remember right.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Law also would dictate that as there is no fault with the product the retailer is perfectly within their rights to refuse to return the item if it's bought in store. Most will as a good will gesture return it but legally, they're under no obligation to do so if I remember right.

Sort of. If the retailer offers a returns policy, then they'd have to uphold that as that would form part of your contractual rights (rather than statutory).

But if the store offers no returns policy, then they wouldn't have to accept it back unless it somehow failed to conform to contract (soga doesn't just cover faulty goods).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »

That's right, and that's why I started my response with "Assuming you meet the terms of the refund in any individual shop".

Most but not all high street shops do seem to offer change of mind returns, and if that is stated on the receipt or within the shop then they must abide by it - as long as buyer complies with any requirements of time scale etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure