Online purchase of wedding dress

Options
Hello,
We purchased a wedding dress online from a company called Aisle style uk. The dress came from a factory in China. Turned out my daughter didn't like the dress. The company say they can only take returns if it is faulty or they Sent the wrong dress. We would like a refund . I am under the impression that anything you buy online you are entitled to a full refund regardless of the reason for returning it. I am sure they are a UK business that have there factory in China. It states on the website that because it is made to order etc. They can't take returns.
Are we still entitled to a full refund?

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it is made to order, then no right to a refund.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    What makes you think they're a U.K. Company?

Factory in China? FAQ full of odd phrasing?

They're a Chinese company, almost certainly. Therefore your rights are the rights of China.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sitemp wrote: »

No, and you wouldn't be even if they were a UK company (which they almost certainly aren't). Wear it or sell it.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It does say clearly on their website that they do not accept returns. The English on their site is appalling too.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sitemp wrote: »
    Hello,
    We purchased a wedding dress online from a company called Aisle style uk. The dress came from a factory in China. Turned out my daughter didn't like the dress. The company say they can only take returns if it is faulty or they Sent the wrong dress. We would like a refund . I am under the impression that anything you buy online you are entitled to a full refund regardless of the reason for returning it. I am sure they are a UK business that have there factory in China. It states on the website that because it is made to order etc. They can't take returns.

I suspect they are not a UK company but they seem to be masquerading as one by having "UK" in their name and giving a UK billing address.

Also I don't see any reason to assume the dress was made to measure. Therefore, as far as I am aware, the purchaser would have had a right to return the dress for a full refund if it was a UK company.

Personally I would make a chargeback claim (or a section 75 claim if the dress cost more than £100 and was paid using a credit rather than a debit card) giving the reason "item not as described". (I would argue the item is not as described as you were expecting an item that would come with a right of return were it not to your daughter's liking.)

More info on chargeback:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
  • Gleeful
    Gleeful Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    Options
    naedanger wrote: »
    I suspect they are not a UK company but they seem to be masquerading as one by having "UK" in their name and giving a UK billing address.

Also I don't see any reason to assume the dress was made to measure. Therefore, as far as I am aware, the purchaser would have had a right to return the dress for a full refund if it was a UK company.

Personally I would make a chargeback claim (or a section 75 claim if the dress cost more than £100 and was paid using a credit rather than a debit card) giving the reason "item not as described". (I would argue the item is not as described as you were expecting an item that would come with a right of return were it not to your daughter's liking.)

More info on chargeback:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

Advising someone to abuse the chargeback scheme....not clever!
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    If it is made to order, then no right to a refund.

Made to order isn't excluded from CCRs. Only where the goods are made to the consumers specifications or clearly personalised.

As they do appear to be a UK company (CNFIRST Trade Ltd), they are subject to UK laws. Of course enforcing that might be another matter.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    Loved this bit on their website -

Management & Advantage
    We have an outstanding management technician group, they will safeguard the whole process in aislestyle will work smoothly and to be perfect and also each work line will be outfit with an management official eventually.

No idea what it means though! :rotfl:
  • robertbs
    Options
    I understand the pain you going through. Is it that you didn't read the instructions on Aisle style site or instructions where not mentioned. Sometimes it so happens that instructions will not be mentioned on site or they are not clear. In any such case we shouldn't buy anything. The first step is to clear all the doubts in the instructions. One of my friend also suffered with same situation. Even after complaining to police she didn't get any refund. To share my experience, I usually buy kurtis for my regular use from gofynd. I have never encountered a situation to return what I buy mainly because size are perfect and quality is good. So, before buying anything ensure following things:
    1. Use familiar website
    2. Look for https://
    3. Use strong password
    4. Check statements or instructions

And finally know what's too good to be true.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure