Dealer intermediate service or non dealer service

Options
My toyota yaris is 3.5 years old. I dont do high milleage less than 5000 miles a year.
I had it full serviced last year with toyota for £234. It is due an annual service which is an intermediate for £160. I was wondering what is the benefit of having a dealer service my car.
I can have a intermediate 40 point service for around £79 from halfords or full 79 point check service for £150.

Is there a benefit by sticking with the dealer.

Thanks

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    My toyota yaris is 3.5 years old. I dont do high milleage less than 5000 miles a year.
    I had it full serviced last year with toyota for £234. It is due an annual service which is an intermediate for £160. I was wondering what is the benefit of having a dealer service my car.
    I can have a intermediate 40 point service for around £79 from halfords or full 79 point check service for £150.

Thanks

If it's not under warranty, there's no advantage to going to a dealer. Even if it is under warranty, you're not required to use the dealer.

Don't go to Halfords; use a decent independent garage and ask for an oil and filter change. That's likely all it needs. Halfords won't actually do much more; most of their '40 points' will be things you should be checking regularly anyway, or at most a brief glance 'visual inspection'.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2016 at 12:10PM
    Options
    I would not trust Halfords to fix a puncture on a pushbike , use an INDEPENDANT garage , ask people who they use , support your local garage

" or full 79 point check service for £150."

point 41 , you need a new rear r/hand shock absorber
    point 42 , you need a new rear l/hand shock absorber
    point 43 you have less than 6000 miles left in your front left pads
    point 44 you have less than 6000 miles left in your front right pads

etc etc etc ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    Don't Toyota's come with five year warranties? If so I would continue to use the main dealer. You can get it serviced elsewhere but you give Toyota a lot more wriggle room on warranty work and lose any goodwill you may have accrued for non-warranty work
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't Toyota's come with five year warranties? If so I would continue to use the main dealer. You can get it serviced elsewhere but you give Toyota a lot more wriggle room on warranty work and lose any goodwill you may have accrued for non-warranty work

My service and warranty book say 3year/60000 miles for comprehensive cover, body panel , rust and paint work 3 years and corrosion perfirmance 12 years
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,424 Forumite
    Options
    My car has done 3000 miles this year. My OH thinks i could hang on and get a full service when its mot is due next spring. It had a full service last november
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    My car has done 3000 miles this year. My OH thinks i could hang on and get a full service when its mot is due next spring. It had a full service last november

He's wrong.

Cars doing tiny miles need more maintenance, not less.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Options

Thanks

At 3.5 years old, theres still a good chance of a significant financial contribution from Toyota, if say the engine went boom, therefore i'd probably get it done by a Toyota dealer and fully stamped up.

Defo dont use Halfords though
  • mr_accountant
    Options
    I thought all toyota are 5 year warranties, not sure the exact date they started this. Ring them and ask to be sure.

If it 5 year warranty, main dealer all the way as they will be more likely to give you goodwill on something that may or may not be under warranty, plus no wriggle out room

if it's 3 years then the choice is yours as the cars out of warranty they probably won't help you now if you have a problem with the car, me personally, this time as it's only £80 more I stick with toyota
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    At 3.5 years old, theres still a good chance of a significant financial contribution from Toyota, if say the engine went boom, therefore i'd probably get it done by a Toyota dealer and fully stamped up.

Defo dont use Halfords though

Exactly what i was going to put. Its not that old and servicing elsewhere will remove the dealers goodwill if anything major went wrong.

If the engine went bang or gearbox went and its out of the warranty, its obvious it should have lasted longer and the dealer should offer some goodwill if serviced by them all the time.

Serviced elsewhere then that goes out the window.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My service and warranty book say 3year/60000 miles for comprehensive cover, body panel , rust and paint work 3 years and corrosion perfirmance 12 years

Toyotas have had 5 year warranties in the UK for about 5 years.

Is yours a UK car or a grey import?

If UK from UK dealer I would check the warranty details. The final 2 years may be a dealer and not manufacturer warranty.

If looking at cheaper options beware of the * by the price which explains the price excludes parts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure