Petition to stop Caerphilly Council charging for car parking at Country parks

Options
Wayne3765
Wayne3765 Posts: 631 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 13 April 2014 at 12:39AM in Wales
http://www.caerphillyobserver.co.uk/news/943603/council-propose-car-park-charges-at-caerphilly-country-parks/

This is disgusting, setting charges for using our countryside! I thought we were trying to encourage people to walk and exercise.

I've sent a letter of objection and just signed the petition "Caerphilly County Borough Council: Say No to implementing car parking charges at our local open spaces and countryside walks in Caerphilly Borough." on Change.org.

It's important. Will you sign it too? Here's the link : Click Here

Comments

• Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    edited 13 April 2014 at 6:29AM
    Options
    Wayne3765 wrote: »
    http://www.caerphillyobserver.co.uk/news/943603/council-propose-car-park-charges-at-caerphilly-country-parks/

This is disgusting, setting charges for using our countryside! I thought we were trying to encourage people to walk and exercise.

I've sent a letter of objection and just signed the petition "Caerphilly County Borough Council: Say No to implementing car parking charges at our local open spaces and countryside walks in Caerphilly Borough." on Change.org.

It's important. Will you sign it too? Here's the link : Click Here

Sorry but I agree with the charges .
    This has noting to do with encouraging people to walk .
    You can walk anywhere it dosent have to be to the park .

They need to raise revenue and implement cutbacks and do as the rest off us do and live within our means.This is one way to do it .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Wayne3765
    Options
    I can walk anywhere but it is a much better experience all round to walk somewhere that has a decent path , no noise , fumes or dust from traffic.

One of the sites has a fishing lake , I know a lot of retired people fish there pretty much daily and they've recently bought membership for the season , no one told them it will cost them £3 a day to park there.

Old_Git wrote: »
    They need to raise revenue and implement cutbacks and do as the rest off us do and live within our means.This is one way to do it .

Another way would be to cut down / stop the functions they put on for the Mayor / Councillors etc all free food and as much booze as you can drink :beer: but that's not going to happen anyday soon.

I'm guessing that you are not from the area or have any knowledge of how this Council has been run ?

A council chief has been charged with misconduct in a public office after his £132,000 annual pay went up by £26,000.
    Anthony O’Sullivan, 54, is said to have written a report recommending the rise.
    Other staff on Caerphilly council were given 1% as part of austerity measures.

Chief executive Michael Anthony O'Sullivan and his deputy, Nigel Barnett, will appear in Bristol Magistrates Court court on April 22
    Pay rises of up to 30% for 21 senior council bosses were agreed by a secret committee of councillors in September 2012. The committee had approved the pay deal after being recommended to do so in a report penned by Mr O’Sullivan

They send all residents a regular paper / newsletter , have a twitter feed and facebook page that are all always full of self praise for doing things that they should be doing anyway but there has been no mention of this plan in the paper , twitter or facebook nor have I seen any mention of it elsewhere apart from the website linked above and any objections have to be in by 25th April, no doubt it's been kept quiet so they can push it through and say hardly anyone objected to it.

They are aiming to raise £80,000 from this but I cannot see how that's going to work.

These parks are in remote locations and the meters are sure to get vandalised , I suppose they will then install CCTV , how much will that cost ?

Some of the sites have roads leading to the car parks where people might park for free , no doubt the Council will paint double yellows everywhere but again , how much will the planning , approval , actual work etc cost ?

If they do this then why can't they install parking meters at the Council offices as well and make the staff pay for parking their cars there ? many others have to pay to park their cars while in work why can't they ?

There's one Office near to me , there must be at least 200 cars there daily ( There's a Council run public car park a few hundred metres away and you have to pay to park there ) charge them a £1 a day, £48,000 a year from one car park , they also have a much bigger office elsewhere so it would raise a lot more.
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't realise Old Git was a Caerphilly County Councillor!

I understand the times we live in but when CBCC continually waste money they've got a nerve to say that money needs to be raised to make up the shortfall.

I too can't understand where they've plucked this figure of £80,000 from.

As there are 5 parks affected, then that's an average of £16,000 per park per year. That therefore assumes that there will be 444 cars parked there per day every day. I can assure you that in the depths of winter that you'd be lucky to get 44 cars up the park that I frequent!

I agree Wayne - the meters are going to get vandalised as soon as they're there.

There was a rumour back in March that these charges were going to be coming in and I emailed CBCC then and guess what -it took them a month to tell me what, by then, I already knew and they conveniently ignored specific questions that I asked?

Totally agree with the Council charging for staff car parking though & it will be interesting to look the expenses of those councillors who vote this in.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    Would also add, if this does go ahead then what's to stop CBCC introducing charges at 'normal' parks???
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Wayne3765
    Options
    You can always depend on CCBC to put it's [STRIKE]citizens first [/STRIKE] sorry , I meant look after those with their noses in the trough.

Before the meeting where the cuts were discussed CCBC put out a survey asking the public where they thought cuts should be made.

381 (51.1%) voted for making cuts to Countryside Services (country parks, educational schemes etc) and 365 (48.9%) voted agains making cuts.

737 (96.1%) voted for making cuts to Mayoral functions while 30 (3.9%) voted against

Over 96% of the voters wanted cuts made to Mayorial functions so that would be the first place they look into making cuts right ?

The problem is , I've read through all the proposals and I cannot see any mention of any proposed cuts or limits to the number of the functions :beer: get another one in mate , we're not paying for them.
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    The council are obviously annoyed that their plan is being opposed.....apparently they've taken down all the notices encouraging people to object to the charges as no permission was given to put them up.

But guess what ? They won't give permission for these notices to go up.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts