How do I stop him barking at vans

Options
2»

Comments

• tiz
    tiz Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    We've pretty much (touch wood) stopped our dog reacting to neighbourhood dogs starting up the woofing telegraph with a similar technique to krlyr suggests. Every time we heard a dog barked we immediately said good girl and gave her a treat. Didn't take long and she was racing over to get the treat as soon as a dog barked and too busy to bark back. We then phased out the treats, and now most of the time she just ignores barking. I imagine the same thing would work. Start a distance away but in sight of what triggers it and then every time you spot one, start feeding treats. So van = rush and collect reward, rather than van = start woofing.
  • robotrobo
    robotrobo Posts: 921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any tips on how to stop my 10 month old Border Collie barking at vans/buses/lorries/noisy cars, it seems to be the noise that he is barking at rather than just a 'blanket' bark.

I have tried shouting at him, spraying water on him, spraying him with compressed air, dragging him back on his lead just before he barks but all to no avail.

It is starting to get me down :o he was almost hit by a van from behind as he was barking the odds at one going the opposite way :eek:

Help!

Give the naughty dog a good whipping with the van aerial:eek:,

but be very careful he doesnt catch vanaerial disease:rotfl:
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tiz wrote: »
    We've pretty much (touch wood) stopped our dog reacting to neighbourhood dogs starting up the woofing telegraph with a similar technique to krlyr suggests. Every time we heard a dog barked we immediately said good girl and gave her a treat. Didn't take long and she was racing over to get the treat as soon as a dog barked and too busy to bark back. We then phased out the treats, and now most of the time she just ignores barking. I imagine the same thing would work. Start a distance away but in sight of what triggers it and then every time you spot one, start feeding treats. So van = rush and collect reward, rather than van = start woofing.

Unfortunately, I have a dog who can still bark as he is eating the treats. Not as loud a bark but still a bark
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I have a dog who can still bark as he is eating the treats. Not as loud a bark but still a bark

The purpose is not to distract the dog but to change the dog's response to the thing causing their barking from negative to positive. This can still be done, even if the dog is barking when you feed the treats, but excessive barking may mean you're too near to the dog's trigger and need to create some extra distance in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure