PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can a negotiate the deal with two different buyers?

Options
Hi

Im in the process of buying a house and i want to have some information about this pocess

They seller has accepted my offer and we are discussing about exchange contracts with the solicitors etc... But, would be possible that the seller has also accepted another offer and is doing the same process with a different buyer?

Thanks

Comments

• RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They shouldn't be no. Has the agent issued the memorandum of sale to you?
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes! When we were selling our EA told us to consider this. We had one buyer who was messing around after his offer was accepted. There was another potential buyer who said they could act quicker. We didn't run the two together in the end, but it was an option and it was the EA who suggested it.
    (I'm not saying it's right/legal)
  • javixeneize
    Options
    Yes, I have everything and it looks like it is progressing, but I want to know if there is any law that prevents this

It is, as a seller, I accept two offers, and the first one that wants to exchange contracts wins

Thanks
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, I have everything and it looks like it is progressing, but I want to know if there is any law that prevents this

It is, as a seller, I accept two offers, and the first one that wants to exchange contracts wins

Thanks

What you are referring to is a contracts race.

I believe the seller's solicitor must by law inform buyer A's solicitor if they are instructed to send out a second contract to buyer B.

It is terrifically rare.
  • Surrey_EA
    Options
    Yes! When we were selling our EA told us to consider this. We had one buyer who was messing around after his offer was accepted. There was another potential buyer who said they could act quicker. We didn't run the two together in the end, but it was an option and it was the EA who suggested it.
    (I'm not saying it's right/legal)

It is legal, but rarely is it a good idea.
  • javixeneize
    Options
    I know is an edge situation but I just want to know about that

So if this is the case, I should be made aware by my solicitors about this, isn’t it?

Thanks
  • Surrey_EA
    Options
    So if this is the case, I should be made aware by my solicitors about this, isn’t it?

Yes, that is correct.

If you have reason to suspect this may have happened/be happening, perhaps ask your solicitor to check with the seller's solicitor that a second contract has not been issued.
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The law comes it at exchange of contracts, not before. It's morally dubious but not illegal.

It's sometimes referred to as a contract race, and the goalpost is who does exchange - wants to is not enough.

Our EA negotiated three acceptable offers on our place. We kept all in play until the point that one party started to spend significant money applying for a mortgage, survey, searches etc. Then we formally rejected the other 2.
  • javixeneize
    Options
    Yes, I have seen that, but only before starting to work officially with solicitors. I have never seen that in the phase where both seller and buyer solicitors are engaged and working on the transfer

Thanks
  • Surrey_EA
    Options
    JoJo1978 wrote: »
    The law comes it at exchange of contracts, not before. It's morally dubious but not illegal.

It's sometimes referred to as a contract race, and the goalpost is who does exchange - wants to is not enough.

In the case of a contracts race I believe there are parts of the law that come in prior to exchange of contracts.

The seller and their solicitor have a duty to inform all prospective buyers involved that a contracts race situation exists.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure