Does anyone trim their cats claws

Options
Our newest addition Misty needs her nails trimming. She got them done when we first got her whilst she was spayed which was around 9 weeks ago but they need doing again as she keeps getting hooked on things like the carpet and bedding. She doesn't really use the scratch posts even though we're tryign to encourage her to. The vet charges £10.95 for nail trimming but I was thinking that if it was simple enough to do and I knew what I was doing I may give it a go myself so was looking for experiences and what clippers/nail trimmers you use. She's booked in for Saturday so obviously I will see how she goes before I make my mind up 100%.

TIA

Comments

• scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    i used to trim my old Sugar cat's claws. I'd had her from a kitten and got her used to having her toes touched and the claw being extended so it wan no problem. i used nail clippers and just took about 2mm of the tip off. i'd cradle her in one arm, using that hand to press the claws out and use the clippers in the other hand.
    My current cat, Giz came to me at 6 mths and he hated having his toes touched so i can't do his but he goes outside a lot so they should be kept in check with his climbing.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I have a severely compromised immune system so have to avoid puncture wounds. I also have a very loving !!!!!cat who loves to knead my shoulders, lap etc. so we have to keep her claws short. It took a few goes to get her used to it and she still not keen but it's not too hard. Since you are visiting the vet anyway why not ask them to show you the best way to do it..
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • lisajane8482
    lisajane8482 Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies, I haven't really touched her feet except to release her from the carpet etc when she gets stuck and the occasional paw stroke and she doesn't seem to bothered when I do so hopefully thats a good sign. I wasn't sure if they would show me as they would be loosing out on money but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask. She only needs a small amount off they're just a tad too long, she's never bothered with a scratch post so I was thinking about trying a horizontal type one as she scratches at the mat down stairs quite regulary but obviously it's not coarse enough to keep her claws trimmed.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ours have scratching posts, one is very active outside and both still need claws trimming.

Its simple to do and if you approach it calmly and with treats and preferably two people at first, for ease, then it should be easy.

I'd do one or a pair of paws at a time rather than hold her for all four and stress her. Then do the others a little later. Mine are used to it from kitten hood so don't make a fuss. Its important not to go into the quick, better to trim more often than trim too short.

Even if you are going to take her o the veg nurse to show you, I'd get her used to you handling and holding her paws and treating her for this 'restriction'.
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    I do! I have a rescue cat who is now a house cat, he just will not use scratching posts for love nor money. There are plenty of tutorials online. Get a decent set of clippers and maybe a stiptic stick in case you cut too far.

Hold the cat comfortably, and if you only do one paw or one toe that's fine, let it go and go back later. Look at the claw, holding the toe gently to pry it out if your cat is being awkward. You'll see sort of a solid white area further into the nail, and then clear nail - the clear bit is all I would chop. To start with, just chop the very tip until you and the cat are more used to it. It will leave it blunt end that should prevent punctures!

Be sure to give the cat time and plenty of cuddles, a treat etc afterwards! You may find the cat is more comfortable with you doing it that a vet anyway. Xxx
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There a special scissors you can buy in the pet stores, they will do for rabbits as well. No sharp points. Mind I did use normal nail clippers for a very long time.

I have been doing my cats for years.

Only clip off the clear part of the nail not up to the pink part.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have always clipped my cats claws with no problems as long as you just take the tips off you should be fine.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIKKI-DOG-PUPPY-CAT-KITTEN-CLAW-NAIL-GROOMING-TRIMMING-CLIPPERS-SELECTION-NEW-/130863637599?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item1e7814a45f
    I use these clippers and it is pretty easy to do.
    I got the vet nurse to show me how to do it so that I felt confident doing it afterwards at home. I am sure either the nurse or vet will be more than happy to instruct you.
  • sinar
    sinar Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I clip the tips of my two cats claws about every two weeks.
  • lisajane8482
    lisajane8482 Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've ordered a set of the clippers, thanks for the link paddypaws. I found her stuck on the curtain this morning poor little mite, I don't think she had been stuck there too long but I'm going to start leaving them open slightly, I'm guessing either she's been trying to get off from the widow sill or they've been playing with through them and she's got stuck. Saturday can't come quick enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure