In-car notification of speed limit

Options
briley
briley Posts: 40 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I was looking at a nifty device, a Snooper MY-SPEED XL, that shows the current speed limit. Now in these days of speed limits changing every couple of yards I thought it could be useful.

It costs around £100.

Then I saw a number of Dash Cams that have GPS that could do the same thing and give me a dash cam for the same price. But the majority only talk about warning of speed cameras - something I tend to disprove of.

Anyone aware of a dash cam that can also tell me the current speed limit? Possibly also beep if I am going too fast.

Comments

• Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Waze (and other) sat navs on your smartphone do the same + speed cameras as well
    (why do you not want to know where they are?)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If only there were regular signs at the side of the road that told you every few seconds what the currently applicable speed limit was, with 100% accuracy. Then there wouldn't be a need for these very fallible gadgets...
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,579 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would never trust any speed limit advice device, none are reliable.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Get married. You will then be presented with a whole array of driving aids. You will be told the speed limit. If you are too slow, too fast round an island, too small a gap, too big a gap.

You name it and you will get advice on it.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If only there were regular signs at the side of the road that told you every few seconds what the currently applicable speed limit was, with 100% accuracy. Then there wouldn't be a need for these very fallible gadgets...
    You invent that, and I'll come up with a dial that can go right in front of a driver's nose to show what speed they are travelling.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    You invent that, and I'll come up with a dial that can go right in front of a driver's nose to show what speed they are travelling.
    With that combo of high-tech and foolproofedness, what could possibly go wrong?

This time next year, Rodders, we'll be millionaires!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    briley wrote: »
    I was looking at a nifty device, a Snooper MY-SPEED XL, that shows the current speed limit. Now in these days of speed limits changing every couple of yards I thought it could be useful.

All of these devices are not reliable. They don't respond to temporary speed limits, variable speed limits and sometimes can be over a year or more out of date when a stretch has had its limit changed.

If you rely on them instead of using your eyes and taking notice of the big number on the big stick then you're likely to find yourself with points on your license and "well my Satnav/Snooper etc said the speed limit was 40 officer" won't get you off.
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options

If you do a speed awareness course, part of it is working out what the speed limit is from various things such as street lights and repeater signs.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    oscarward wrote: »
    If you do a speed awareness course, part of it is working out what the speed limit is from various things such as street lights and repeater signs.
    It's a reminder from what you had to learn to pass your driving test.

But it's very simple...
    Are there regular repeaters? Yes? That's the speed limit.
    No? So are there regular streetlights? Yes? 30mph.
    No? How many carriageways? One? 60mph. Two? 70mph.

(I'm assuming you know what a carriageway is. It's not the same as a lane.)

That's it! All of it! You now know EXACTLY what the speed limit is on every single road in the UK, with no more information than a second or two of looking out of the windscreen...
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a reminder from what you had to learn to pass your driving test.

But it's very simple...
    Are there regular repeaters? Yes? That's the speed limit.
    No? So are there regular streetlights? Yes? 30mph.
    No? How many carriageways? One? 60mph. Two? 70mph.

(I'm assuming you know what a carriageway is. It's not the same as a lane.)

That's it! All of it! You now know EXACTLY what the speed limit is on every single road in the UK, with no more information than a second or two of looking out of the windscreen...

Lots of dual carriageways with 40 / 50 / 60mph speed limits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport