Looking to have a simpler life .......

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ella, I think the two parts of your post above kind of contradict one another? :o:o:o I haven't been posting here very long, so I'm a bit wary of saying it, but giving yourself a rest every now and then and pushing really hard don't go together too well, in my head, anyway ... take care of yourself first! My chronic fatigue came on as a result of not doing that, so I'm very wary of it now.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mmack
    mmack Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ella,
    I'm new to the forum and just having a browse as after finally connecting work pressure and stress with periods of very poor health I want to make a positive change. I also want to work for myself, possibly property development, but would need the security of being mortgage free and having 3-6mths savings behind me to do it. So a lot of what's you've posted resonated and felt inspiring.
    My mortgage is £180k and set to pay off in 13 years! I'd like to aim for 5 although it will be a massive stretch and require £1k / month in overpayment - it doesn't feel impossible - a car loan £500/mth is set to finish soon. So that's halfway, just need to be savvy about finding the rest!
    I'm reading Dr. Chatterjees 4 pillar book for what seem very simple / smart ways to help manage stress and improve health and wellbeing. It's a start - maybe I should start a diary too.
    Anyway just wanted to wish you luck with your journey and making me feel less alone with the thoughts and challenges.
    Good luck to all MFWs
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Hi Karma
    Absolutely fine to point out what is , you are right...a totally contradictory post! ;)

I think the pushing myself too hard for too long has really contributed ( though albeit not completely caused) some of the health issues for me...so I definitely need to put my health first....totally right!
    Sorry you're having to deal with chronic fatigue issues too ....it really sucks!

Hi mmack
    Definitely a good idea to start a diary , it's great for connecting with like minded people and staying on track!
    Sorry that stressful and pressured work has taken its toll ....I think that's a big motivator for me in looking for a different way of being ...but as above probably not stretching myself way too thin in the process! Will keep a look out for your diary :o and will look into the book which sounds great too!

Had a lovely and very relaxing time with sis, hubbies and bump and planning on a film before and earlyish night.

Aim for tomorrow ...relaxing, taking lunch break, doing some yoga and more realistic sums to avoid destitution and living on beans on toast for the next few years :rotfl:
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :j:j:j

NB - the people at my chronic fatigue clinic used to talk about "the four pillars" too ... I wonder if they cribbed it from the book mmack mentions? Hmmm ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Thanks Karma
    Interesting stuff may look into getting hold of the book too! ;)

Lunch break and yoga plans both completed so getting there! :o
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Ahhhhhh Friday!! :D

Had a few hectic weeks but slowly slowing back down and it's looking more manageable after mid next week! :j

In mortgage news, balance clocking in at just over £93,500 :j:j

Need to see what the food spends are looking like but hoping haven't gone too far over £150 for this month! Tho all the Christmas biscuits have now been eaten!! :eek:;)

Been working on self care too as was really feeling the stress the past few weeks ... Lots of healthyish meals, couple of hours of exercise ( definitely need to get more fit! ;) ) And a few nights out with friends and hubby in the pipeline :o

Hope everyone is having a good weekend xx
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    January shop at £92 plus one extra reciept I can't find!! ( But estimate under £25!!) :beer::j

Am super chuffed with that , but has also included using up lots of stores and all the Xmas leftovers ...still I'd estimated we'd be heading nearer to £180 so am really happy with that!! :D
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hiya Ella :wave:. A successful month :j:j. Good luck with your plans for February.

Hope you're having a lovely weekend

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fantastic work on the grocery budget! :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Thanks pinkypig and kittenkirst :)

There is lots of work going on on the downshifter household today ( in between tea and TV breaks! ;) )
    MrDownshifter doing some bits of clearing in the garden ...and I have tackled the spare room and it's looking much tidier in there ....

There is one area in the the hallway I'm determined to get through this afternoon then it's a cinema trip later ( with vouchers!)

Hope everyone is having a nice Saturday!
    X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family