shoes bought online from Germany

Options
Hi,
I bought some Birkenstock's from an online shop based in Germany. After wearing them 2 or 3 times I noticed the leather was coming away from the sole. I'd owned them for 1 week and worn them 2 or 3 times.
I emailed the shop with photos. Their response was that I could either take them to a local shoe repairs and have it re-glued and they'd give me 10 Euros or post back to them, they send off to Birkenstock to be re-glued.
I replied that I wasn't happy with this due to the shoes being brand new and in my opinion faulty. I said I want a new pair.
They've replied "We are sorry, but the producer has the right to repair the pair three times. So we can only send them to Birkenstock for a repair."
This really doesn't sound right to me. I'm sure if I'd bought them in a UK store I would get a new pair.
What are my rights?

Comments

• Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,308 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As you bought them form Germany I would assume your bound by German consumer law.
    Come on you Irons
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Your rights are what ever the German version of our rights are, buying abroad, even in the EU has it's downside as you are bound by their laws, not ours.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How long since you bought them?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    These would be the ideal people to ask:
    http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/contact_en.htm

They offer help and advice specifically for EU residents who have problems with goods purchased in another EU country.
  • annagib99
    Options
    I've had them less than 3 weeks, but I've been discussing the issue with them for nearly 1 week.
    I've read the consumer rights for EU and can't see anything about faulty goods.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you tried contacting Birkenstock directly yourself. They do have a UK website.

Did you really save that much over buying them from Birkenstock in the first place?
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They need to go back to the supplier for repair
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Rhenser
    Rhenser Posts: 69 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2014 at 10:59AM
    Options
    annagib99 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I bought some Birkenstock's from an online shop based in Germany. After wearing them 2 or 3 times I noticed the leather was coming away from the sole. I'd owned them for 1 week and worn them 2 or 3 times.
    I emailed the shop with photos. Their response was that I could either take them to a local shoe repairs and have it re-glued and they'd give me 10 Euros or post back to them, they send off to Birkenstock to be re-glued.
    I replied that I wasn't happy with this due to the shoes being brand new and in my opinion faulty. I said I want a new pair.
    They've replied "We are sorry, but the producer has the right to repair the pair three times. So we can only send them to Birkenstock for a repair."
    This really doesn't sound right to me. I'm sure if I'd bought them in a UK store I would get a new pair.
    What are my rights?

You will be governed by the consumer laws of Germany.

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of such law is that consumers are covered against faults at point of purchase for a period of 2 years from point of sale.
    A fault developing within 6 months is assumed to have been present at point of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise. After 6 months, it is for the consumer to prove the fault was there at point of sale.

You obviously reported this fault within 6 months and the seller does not appear to be disputing the item was faulty at point of sale. Your rights are to have the item conform to the original sales contract. There are various ways this can be achieved. The seller may offer to repair the item or reduce the original cost by an appropriate agreed amount. Alternatively, the seller may offer to replace the item or offer to rescind the contract entirely - in these cases the goods will usually need to be returned.

It appears to me the seller has complied with the appropriate regulations in that they have offered either to have the item repaired or alternatively have offered to reduce the original contract price by way of a 10€ refund.

I do not think you are entitled automatically to a full refund, However, normal procedure is to refund if, after 3 attempts at repair by the seller, the item still fails due to the same fault.

(The seller may make their own claim to the producer as per their business relationship, but the seller is liable in law to the consumer)

Guarantees/warranties provided by either the producer or seller cannot over-ride the consumer laws, but may offer further additional cover for the consumer.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My thought on the subject is that the cost of two sets of postage (ie back to Germany and then return to UK) the shop should be more pragmatic by taking a look at the photos and either agreeing a full refund, new pair or at the very least a 50-70% refund and let the OP keep the shoes.

In the past I have cold printers online and in many cases I would just refund as it was darn sight more cost effective.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    annagib99 wrote: »
    I've read the consumer rights for EU and can't see anything about faulty goods.
    No idea what you were reading, but I think you must've missed a bit. ;)

Get in touch with the people Shaun linked to in post #5.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure