We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Ants in garden - Best way to kill?

Options
ripplyuk
ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
I used Nippon gel in little trays last year, but now they're back again. I've heard that borax or boric acid is good mixed with honey or sugar. Some people say Terro ant killer is good. I've also noticed another gel type bait station on Amazon that uses imidicloprid.

I'd appreciate any advice or tips about how to get rid of them. Also, there's a big old tree stump in the garden. Could this be what's attracting them?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The ants normally travel in lines from the nest to the food and back.

If you watch them you should be able to follow the trail to the nest. If you can, uncover the nest but if not treat the area around the entrance. I used Nipon powder which worked well.
  • Susan_Beaumont
    Options
    Or even better, leave them alone, they,ve been on this planet longer than you have, and are likely to be here long after we human pests have gone
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A sure way to kill them is with two bricks.

Put the ant on one and hit it with the other.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't bother about ants outdoors.

If they invade my house in numbers, I use ant powder.

Once, when I had no ant powder, I mixed up warm water, whisky and sugar, which they loved. Soon the container was covered in them. I left them to it and went to bed.

After that, no ants.:)
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    I find a few in the house but the garden is completely overrun with them. I can't go out at all without getting my legs covered in them. They must bite as I get big red hives. I think I'll try a few more products myself but if that fails, I guess I'll have to get a pest controller in. I'd really like to be able to enjoy the garden at this time of year. Also, I've a pet rabbit and I worry about him getting bitten or annoyed by them.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I read that ants spread disease on plants and I have a whole tribe of them in my greenhouse. I have tried both the powder and gel without success - is there no natural predator for ants? My daughter down south was also inundated with them so perhaps it's because the winter was so mild.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We removed a rockery from our garden and there was an ant city under the stones. Lots of nests with egg chambers linked to one another.
  • malebolge
    malebolge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just leave them, unless i see them in the house. Here's the RHS guide to them - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=503 - they call them a nuisance rather than a pest. You're not referring to red ants re: the biting, are you? They ordinary black ants don't sting. Ants are beneficial in a number of ways but of course they can spread disease so for places I want them (I encourage them in my wildlife garden) I put sugar syrup on discs to attract them, and if they appear where I don;t want them, I use apple cider vinegar
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Yes, they definitely either bite or sting! Yesterday, I was potting up some containers in the garden and felt them on my legs. I'd only been out for about ten minutes. When I looked down, they were loads of them all over me, right up to my knees. Now I've got 14 big red itchy welts on me.

They ate my friend alive when he was in the garden too. He was jumping around all over the place trying to get them off. I know nothing about ants so I'm not sure what species they are, though I'm still reading up trying to identify them.

I'm really beyond caring if people think I'm being mean to kill them. I've ordered 3 different types of ant killer products. Hopefully at least one will have some effect.
  • Grumpyoldmoo
    Grumpyoldmoo Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a problem with ants in my garden.....they are attacking the fence posts :(
    Feb'15 £118411.00 Jan '16 £112665.10 Jan 17 £106790.00, Jan 18 £99268.10 April ‘19 £57052.26, Oct ‘20 £46015.42 £2.00 Savers Club, 🎖, 2015 £332, 2016 £356, 2017 £312, 2018 £254, 2019 £668, 2020 £880.00, 2021 £104, 2022 £158, 2023 £68, 2024 Emergency Fund £2500/£1000 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure