PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rented Housing

Options
124»

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »

Let's face it, the current state of affairs is far worse than what I'm suggesting

No, its not. Since what you are suggesting isn't possible without concentration camps and a dictatorship.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »

At the moment there is a problem in the construction industry. There are not enough young people going into construction work or engineering. There is a big skills shortage. This skills shortage means that only a small number of the new houses needed can be built. So you see what actually needs to be done is to encourage young people to get trade skills rather than degrees in Film Studies.

True, but we also need to get seriously into pre-fabs,which I understand is coming, to reduce the need to have so many of some basic types of skills.

Piling baked clay bricks on top of each other in a muddy field should be no way to build a house these days.
  • Proxima_Centauri
    Options
    People on these boards are not on the whole happy with Assured Shorthold Tenancies, mainly due due to the lack of security of tenure.

What do you think would be a good compromise, to be fair to the tenant AND the landlord?

Do you think there should be more social housing, and if so, on what grounds should it be allocated? And should it be a permanent tenancy?

Your thoughts welcomed.:)

I would look to European countries like Germany as an example, where renting is the norm until you get to your forties and can afford to buy a house. I believe tenants have far better rights there than they do here, but I don't know all the ins and outs.
  • JuneBow
    JuneBow Posts: 302 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 5:08PM
    Options
    I don't normally get involved in discussions like this, but this one really interests me.
    I own some BTLs and have done so for a number of years. I have a tenant with a young daughter in one of them who has had some personal issues. Some of her own making, and some not.
    She is so rude to me when a repair is needed and on one occasion she tried to claim I had caused an injury to her daughter. I hadn't BTW, but it looked like a PI claim waiting to happen.
    As well as this, I just don't like the girl. She has said some nasty things to neighbours. Not about me. But she is also a trouble maker.
    None of this impacts on her suitability as a tenant, as the place is like a palace and she pays her rent on time.
    I told her at the beginning on the year that I would not be renewing the lease, and she went ballistic. Calling me this. Calling me that. etc. How I was exploiting her. How I was leaving her homeless. The list goes on.
    Anyway, I was persuaded to let her stay.
    Probably because I felt guilty, and still do about being a landlord.
    I am about as left wing as you can get. My late parents were avid trade unionists so it rubbed off on me.
    I have done ok for myself. Probably because I have worked very hard and have taken risks and made sacrifices. I have an expensive house in an expensive area. My kids went to private school. I have paid for private medical treatment when an operation could not be done quickly. So I feel like a hypocrite. However, I don't feel as if I have exploited anyone. I give large amounts to charity every year, and give money to some of my extended family who need it.
    I don't mind paying tax at 45%. So why do I feel as though I am betraying my parents?
    My own view is that I should be as free to choose my tenants as much as my tenants are free to choose me.
    So why do I feel guilty over this girl?
    I do also disagree with the selling off of social housing and I think because of TV programmes demonising and exploiting people who claim state benefit some people think there are more lazy !!!!less people than there actually is. So I have no problems with benefit claimants and recent benefit changes worry me as vulnerable people are suffering.
    So am I wrong to want this girl to leave my property because I just don't like her? I know the girl will be rehoused, but I know that she doesn't want social housing. There is a big shortage of private rental properties in the area and she loves the house and the location, so she may have to rent about 5 miles away.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    JuneBow wrote: »
    I don't normally get involved in discussions like this, but this one really interests me.
    I own some BTLs and have done so for a number of years. I have a tenant with a young daughter in one of them who has had some personal issues. Some of her own making, and some not.
    She is so rude to me when a repair is needed and on one occasion she tried to claim I had caused an injury to her daughter. I hadn't BTW, but it looked like a PI claim waiting to happen.
    As well as this, I just don't like the girl. She has said some nasty things to neighbours. Not about me. But she is also a trouble maker.
    None of this impacts on her suitability as a tenant, as the place is like a palace and she pays her rent on time.
    I told her at the beginning on the year that I would not be renewing the lease, and she went ballistic. Calling me this. Calling me that. etc. How I was exploiting her. How I was leaving her homeless. The list goes on.
    I am about as left wing as you can get. My late parents were avid trade unionists so it rubbed off on me.
    I have done ok for myself. Probably because I have worked very hard and have taken risks and made sacrifices. I have an expensive house in an expensive area. My kids went to private school. I have paid for private medical treatment when an operation could not be done quickly. So I feel like a hypocrite. However, I don't feel as if I have exploited anyone. I give large amounts to charity every year, and give money to some of my extended family who need it.
    I don't mind paying tax at 45%. So why do I feel as though I am betraying my parents?
    My own view is that I should be as free to choose my tenants as much as my tenants are free to choose me.
    I do also disagree with the selling off of social housing and I think because of TV programmes demonising and exploiting people who claim state benefit some people think there are more lazy !!!!less people than there actually is. So I have no problems with benefit claimants and recent benefit changes worry me as vulnerable people are suffering.
    So am I wrong to want this girl to leave my property because I just don't like her? I know the girl will be rehoused, but I know that she doesn't want social housing. There is a big shortage of private rental properties in the area and she loves the house and the location, so she may have to rent about 5 miles away.

Your mixing business with personal.

Which I think is always going to cause problems to be honest.

You don't like her as a person, not as a tenant.

(obviously you are free to do as you wish)
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    My opinion is fairly simple.

Remove s.21, make notice 2 months for tenants and if the property is repossessed, make the lender a landlord for minimum 6 month term (ie a new tenancy is created)
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    When I was young there was no really decent private rented housing because landlords with anything decent had got caught by the rent acts and so as soon as the houses became vacant they sold them. This meant that if you wanted somewhere nice to live you basically had to buy it. The choices were live at home with your parents, hope to get a council house or buy something. So people who are retired now and renting would have had those same choices which makes it even more interesting that they are choosing to rent in retirement.

I am not in favour of rent controls because I remember what happened last time. I would prefer to see an increase in supply of rented property rather than something that could lead to a decrease.

At the moment there is a problem in the construction industry. There are not enough young people going into construction work or engineering. There is a big skills shortage. This skills shortage means that only a small number of the new houses needed can be built. So you see what actually needs to be done is to encourage young people to get trade skills rather than degrees in Film Studies.

There are vast numbers of youngsters wanting to go into construction, unfortunately they're unable to do so (or to complete their courses) because employers won't offer them the site experience they need to achieve their NVQs. The solution is wholly within the hands of construction companies and small building firms.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JuneBow wrote: »

If she doesn't want social housing then she needs to take responsibility for her actions. Being pleasant to neigbours costs nothing yet she can't be bothered to be nice.

The way I feel about this is that if she can't be bothered to be nice to people then you don't need to be nice to her. As long as you can make sure that she realises that losing this house is a consequence of her actions you will be doing her a favour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure