Strange eBay finds.

Options

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    Options
    OK, here are my two top favourite picks of the day for eBay finds:

Hire a step ladder with two steps for £5 / day THE KIND YOU USE TO GET IN YOUR TOP CUPBOARD IN THE KITCHEN:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEP-LADDER-HIRE-/122442117209

OK, now for the movie you've all been waiting for, that documentary you set your set top box to record so you could watch it back in slow-motion ;)

By the seller's own witty banter about it being a box office sell out:

Ladies in Gentleman, in original "black and white", that amazing classic you've all been waiting for ... "THE LIFE CYCLE OF THE RUNNER BEAN", yours to keep to watch over and over again to relive the experience...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-BLACK-AND-WHITE-FILM-OF-THE-LIFE-CYCLE-OF-THE-RUNNER-BEAN-BOX-OFFICE-SELL-OUT-/272618468969
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What the heck : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-Vintage-False-Teeth-in-Original-Dainty-Vidler-Dental-Box-/272588817225?hash=item3f778f4349%3Ag%3AbFYAAOSw9GhYgSoA

I was not going to look at the used section as that is quite strange as well but seems to be a very popular market with some people.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    There was a seller based in Crewe (!!!!!!ed if I can find him again) who I guess was just eccentric. He sold old bus time tables, money off coupons for local attractions (out of date), courtesy slips from the local Ford dealer etc. Just random tat you'd throw away.
    Every item listed was meticulously photographed next to an old wooden ruler. His last listing was for the same old wooden ruler :D

Unsurprisingly, he rarely sold anything.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why are these stamps sold as "use at your own risk?"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-x-1ST-CLASS-LARGE-LETTER-SELF-ADHESIVE-POSTAGE-STAMPS-EASY-PEEL-AND-STICK-/182520769975

Surely they wouldn't blatently advertise fake stamps would they?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some ebayers buy car brochures that they could pick up free from the local dealer, so you can see why sellers try it on.

Another odd thing was bags of Werthers original going for silly money bought by Americans IIRC as dressing for their vintage VW campervans. *shrug*
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hire a step ladder with two steps for £5 / day THE KIND YOU USE TO GET IN YOUR TOP CUPBOARD IN THE KITCHEN:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEP-LADDER-HIRE-/122442117209

HIRE'R USES AT OWN RISK

This alone deserves about 10 negs
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    .. and why is he advertising it on ebay.com? Can't see too many takers from across the pond.
  • emmbrook
    emmbrook Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why are these stamps sold as "use at your own risk?"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-x-1ST-CLASS-LARGE-LETTER-SELF-ADHESIVE-POSTAGE-STAMPS-EASY-PEEL-AND-STICK-/182520769975

Surely they wouldn't blatently advertise fake stamps would they?

They're not fake - but they are used, unfranked, stamps that have been 'recycled' with new adhesive. Use of them isn't permitted and Royal Mail will surcharge any that they find. Plenty of similar adverts.

Not to be confused with old stamps sold as 'mint never hinged' or MNH, which are excess stock from dealers and entirely ok to use - it's how I buy all my postage as you can get 20 - 30% discount if you buy enough.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They're not fake - but they are used, unfranked, stamps that have been 'recycled' with new adhesive. Use of them isn't permitted and Royal Mail will surcharge any that they find. Plenty of similar adverts.

But I don't get it. He or she has sold thousands of sheets if you look at their feedback. How would they recycle these stamps cost effectively?

I once put a stamp on a wrong envelope and had to peel it off which can be quite difficult to do and they are doing it by the bucket load?
  • emmbrook
    emmbrook Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But I don't get it. He or she has sold thousands of sheets if you look at their feedback. How would they recycle these stamps cost effectively?

I once put a stamp on a wrong envelope and had to peel it off which can be quite difficult to do and they are doing it by the bucket load?

Well there's plenty doing it so it must be worth their while I guess. Unless I'm mistaken and they are covering up fakes as unfranked genuine. I suppose it is possible but I'm not buying a load to check them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure