Christening Gift for Godson/Daughter?

Options

Comments

• Yorkshire-Lady_3
    Options
    We bought our God Son a small apple tree. It is much admired and growing big and strong. He is 8 now, and very proud of 'his tree'.

Sally xx
  • scottheron_2
    Options
    It may look a bit like advertising (!), but we bought our godson a hand-painted milk stool with his name on it from https://www.fancypantsfurniture.co.uk.
    They were lovely to deal with, and we were able to choose the colour and design ourselves! Well worth a look!
    :j
  • ramellous1
    ramellous1 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    If you want something silver, how about silver coins like the 1oz Britannia. It will make a good investment and is nice to look at. It gets you a lot more silver for your money than jewellery and is easier sold if they want the money when older.
  • yell25
    yell25 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I've gone for a traditional wooden toy on this one not to expensive but beautifully crafted

http://www.!!!!!!/products/shared-earth/small-mixed-wood-snail-toy/

It's only £3.99 you don't need to spend loads you've got the rest of your godsons life to do that!
  • Katyag
    Katyag Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    We have been to one christening (besides our own son) and TBH i cant even remember what we bought! One was a WTP book and a special christening coin.

When our DS was christened we got loads of lovely silver bits but they all sit in a box in a cupboard now, wish we had asked for donations to the neo natal unit where he was after he as born in hindsight.

DH's step mother always said when they went to christenings of boys they gave a St Christopher (which i love the idea) but ironically her and DH's father (so DS's grandfather) gave our DS nothing!!! I was so angry!!! Another story tho!
    Bringing up 2 handsome boys and 1 gorgeous girl the MSE way!
    Joseph born 19th December 2001
    Matthew born 8th August 2007
    Tara born 23rd January 2011
  • 3KIDSNOMONEY
    3KIDSNOMONEY Posts: 811 Forumite
    Options
    On ebay you can buy personalised items, such as blankets with a disney character on and the child's name. Someone on ebay even puts the date of the christening on (i think). Lovely items, it shows you put some thought in and also they are useful items. So many baby gifts are just clutter or keepsakes.
    now mum of 4!!!
  • heather38
    heather38 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    our daughter was given
    a bible and 1st bible stories book
    £50
    a silver birth certificate holder
    a silver rattle
    a silver money box
    a silver cross and chain
    see a theme here?!?
    personally i think a tree is a lovely gift or how about sponsering an animal /child in their name?
  • emactatty
    emactatty Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    what do you think of this - I am going to get one for my kids and thought it might be a nice pressie to get for my Godson aswell - does anyone agree??
    http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/unusual-gifts/my-life-story.htm
  • LucyPask
    Options
    I love that I found this discussion randomly today - some awesome suggestions!

I am an aunty / godmother to 20 (yes really) between the ages of 0-8 so present buying can be an absolute nightmare. Especially Christenings, it has taken me a long time to work out which are the best gifts to buy and which were a waste of money.

In fact I became so passionate about finding the perfect presents, and frustrated with trespassing on mumsites, that I have just started a website just for aunts and godmums called GreatAunt.co.uk. I am hoping it will become a place where aunts can go to share their recommendations and advice with other aunts so we can all help each other make the best of our role.

It's a very basic hobby site and I would love to grow the idea. I know this is a blatant plug, but if you have any advice to share, especially on money savvy gifts for nieces, nephews and godchildren, I would really love to hear from you!

All the best

Lucy :hello:
  • Tamster150
    Options
    I have GodDaughters - We bought them a silver bracelet and a single Cross charm for their Christening and buy them a charm on Birthdays & Christmas. We also just bought the oldest two charms for starting school. If you avoid the wellknown high st brands you can buy silver quite cheaply and the charms can cost anything from £5 upwards.

My youngest Son has silver bookmarks from his Godparents and again for his first Birthday. But these are not as cheap to buy as charms.
    My eldest sons Godparents clubbed together to buy him premium bonds (which I then bought on their behalf)

They also got lots of money boxes but no Bibles (I think everyone thought that the Godparents would buy one)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure