Store gift cards to help daughter?

Options
Hi,

Just looking for some advice, my daughter starts her A-Levels in September, with the view of starting university in 2016.

I'm a single mum, so I am unable to help with costs so she will be applying for student grants and loans.

However I really want to help her with her living costs. I had the idea of between now and then loading gift cards with a lump sum each month. Such as £50 on Tesco's and £25 on something like Primark.

Is this a silly idea? Would I be better doing something different with the money? Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea. But you need to check when the cards expire.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sainsbury do one you can reload as needed

http://www.sainsburysgifts.co.uk/meal_ticket_cards.html
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You mean for when she goes to uni?

I wouldn't load a supermarket gift card yet because it may be that there is one that students tend to use more often.

I'd set up a savings account and not tell her. Keep it in your name. You will need to go and look at uni's (either with her or her on her own). There will be some incidental costs on the way that having some saved cash will be handy for.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Depending on your household income, it may well be that your daughter wont need you to keep her topped up. If she gets full maintenance loan that is more than enough for her to live on

After paying for accommodation my DD has £40/wk from her maintenance loan to live on, thats more than i have to feed a family of 4

As already said, if she plans on visiting potential unis, the costs involved with that soon mount up, so its prob best to put some money away for that instead, of use towards all the household stuff she will need to buy for uni
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our son has just finished at the university and when he first started (4 years ago) hubby got him a sainsbugs card thing and put some money on it so that if got caught out between grant money going in he could use it.
    Just a thought but as she will get grants and have to learn to get on with it - ie real life, why not do the care package thing, we sent him away with all the basic stuff -saucepan/frying pan - etc blah blah and a box of basic food and cleaning stuff.
    I wonder how many toasters they had in the hall the first year.
    xx
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I put money on a sainsburys card for my son, but when he is too busy (medical student) I do an online shop for him and have it delivered at his flat.
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi My Youngest Daughter graduates this Tuesday after 3 year course. I found it helpful to stock up on deodorants, shampoos, conditioners make up wipes. Also tins like tuna, small baked beans/spaghetti etc
  • Skyehusky
    Skyehusky Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,Thanks for the advice. I hadn't really thought about the cost of all the Open days and visits so yes, I might start putting away for that now. I like the idea of a care package with all the household essentials and toiletries as I know these can be the most expensive to buy.I'll probably still think about loading a card for emergencies only closer to the time. I appreciate she has to live in the real world but it doesn't stop me from worrying lol!!Many thanks again.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    flea72 wrote: »
    Depending on your household income, it may well be that your daughter wont need you to keep her topped up. If she gets full maintenance loan that is more than enough for her to live on

After paying for accommodation my DD has £40/wk from her maintenance loan to live on, thats more than i have to feed a family of 4

As already said, if she plans on visiting potential unis, the costs involved with that soon mount up, so its prob best to put some money away for that instead, of use towards all the household stuff she will need to buy for uni

I totally agree with this :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Skyehusky wrote: »
    Hi,Thanks for the advice. I hadn't really thought about the cost of all the Open days and visits so yes, I might start putting away for that now. I like the idea of a care package with all the household essentials and toiletries as I know these can be the most expensive to buy.I'll probably still think about loading a card for emergencies only closer to the time. I appreciate she has to live in the real world but it doesn't stop me from worrying lol!!Many thanks again.

As ive already said, look more into her entitlement for loans and grants and if the unis she might apply to offer additional bursaries for students from low income families. My DD gets an additional £3k from her uni on top of the grant/loan

Basic loan/grant is about £7k. Most unis charge between £3-5k for accommodation, so that leaves £2-4k to live on. Most courses are only 38 weeks, and she will most likely return home in the holidays, so have no expenses then, Unless you charge her board ;-)

Theres also the opportunity for her to to get a p/t job whilst at uni, or work in the holidays to build up a stash.

I really think you are worrying too much about the financial side of it. As someone on a low income, your DD will have access to greater financial support, hopefully leave uni with smaller debts, and ok being sexist, the likelihood of her ever paying back all her student loan is minimal, due to career breaks for having kids
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure