16 to 25 railcard query

Options
Just a query about the student railcard is it open to Phd students? and if so if they are over 25?

If not could one apply for a 3 year railcard just before one's 26th birthday??

thanks

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/eligibility-benefits/mature-students/

It doesn't mention level of study. It just says that for those over 25, it must be full time.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    It makes no difference if you're UG or PhD, mature students just need to print the form and take it into the departmental office at the university who will verify your student status and stamp the form.
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    In answer to the second question, yes you can get a renewal the day before your 26th birthday; whether they'd let you have a 3y one is another matter.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2014 at 5:19PM
    Options
    Actually I was looking at the website the other day (daughter's 3 year card will be expiring in a few weeks) and sadly they have thought of this! You can only buy the 3 year version up until the day before your 24th birthday.

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/using-your-card/railcard-terms-conditions/

It is not actually a 'student railcard' as such but a 'young person's railcard' (ie: 25-year old millionaires are still eligible!). However mature students can get one, but they have to have proof of study for over 15 hours a week from their college or uni, (not sure how PhD studies fit in with that, presumably OK if classed as 'full-time'). Because they have to provide this proof of studying each time, mature students can only get one year railcards.
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had one until I was 30 because I was a PhD student.
  • Annie_Elisabeth
    Options
    you get a yearly renewable 16-25 railcard if you are a fulltime mature student over 25.
    Applications must be signed by the university
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport