Mobility scooters

Options
can anyone recomend a mobility scooter surplier in or around stoke on trent please

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a look on the MSE site for your local Ebay listings. There are often scooters on offer, some hardly used.
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    By all means, look at local mobility scooter supply shops, but avoid buying there. When OH bought one of his scooters a few years ago local shop was quoting over £1000, but same scooter was available from several on-line suppliers at around £680. Since then he has bought on line.

Another good source is your local Gumtree. We sold one of his scooters on our local site - it was in perfect condition, but he needed large model, so buyer got a very good bargain. There were several other scooters for sale on the site. Bear in mind the cost of batteries, as they might need replaced, but again, source these on-line rather than local shop.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with BeHappy, I fell for the sales patter and didn't feel comfortable leaving without buying, and ended up paying 50% more for a second hand scooter than I could have got brand new online.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • hippygran
    hippygran Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Look at Care Co and Betterlife on line. Weigh up all things. In retrospect we would have found a battery which was able to be charged off the scooter a blessing! Hubby has the cheapest Care Co model, which is now nearly 2 years old. (He has had new batteries though). Personally I would advise cheap and cheerful to begin with, you can always move up to a more expensive model later. We hadn't a clue and his little model does the job perfectly well, but his next one (they don't last forever), will be an upgrade with more features he specifically wants. These are features he didn't think he needed on the first purchase, and which he doesn't really 'need' now, but which will make life easier.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One thing you could do is visit your local shop mobility. They often have a range of scooters and quite often the people who work/volunteer there are happy to give advice and even let you try a scooter.

You could even join the scheme and hire one for the day (usually a small cost of £2/£3) and take it round the shops. It would give you an insight as to whether that particular scooter/type of scooter is suitable.

They also often have details of reliable scooter traders.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find that the shops have their own 'favoured brands' that they try to sell, and that may not be what you want. I have even had reps out for quite expensive pieces of equipment that have never sat/driven them which i find ludicrous.

Do some online research or ask on here for some makes to look out for, even ask people out using them. I've been stopped by a few people as I have a transportable wheelchair, if i'm not in a hurry I don't mind.

I too buy online, it's far cheaper but do check its a reliable shop/secure payment. Preloved, local facebook pages and ebay are great places for used scooters and I buy batteries online too.

Good luck with your choice.. i had a number of scooters to start with as i worked out what my needs are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure