Alcohol and Cigarettes are There ?

Options
Hi,

I have created a "bogus" Online Application to get a feel for the real BR form and what it does and does not ask. I highly reccomend anyone considering going belly up to do so as it gives a real insight and enables you to prepare the information needed when you do it "for real".

To be honest it's not half as daunting as I was expecting. It is laid out quite logically particularly the I&E section.

Alcohol Expenditure falls within the Food and Housekeeping Section and Smoking in the Personal and Leisure Section.

As I was led to believe both are forbidden is this a trap ? IE you put down say £30 Month for each and the OR can then disallow them and reduce £60 from your expenses total which could result in the difference between an IPA being feasible or not.

If they are not allowed why are they there otherwise ?

Comments

• VeryInTheRed
    Options
    I have just completed my application today, just waiting till I have the £ to pay the fee then will press the button.

Both my wife and I smoke and have for 20+ years. We were spending £600 per month (20 a day each) 6 months ago but we have really cut down and are now spending £300 per month - so I put £300 on my expenditure section.

We have tried everything to stop so far and ended up smoking again.

No smoking or "stopping is easy" lectures please :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,917 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have just completed my application today, just waiting till I have the £ to pay the fee then will press the button.

Both my wife and I smoke and have for 20+ years. We were spending £600 per month (20 a day each) 6 months ago but we have really cut down and are now spending £300 per month - so I put £300 on my expenditure section.

Ain't called coffin nails for nothing............lost half my family to smoking related diseases, non of them could stop either.........my advice, try an quit, .......while you still can.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • VeryInTheRed
    Options
    Sourcrates,

Please re-read the last sentence of my post. Your comment is not relevant to the thread.

Thank you.
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 July 2017 at 9:18PM
    Options

So have you put an amount down for smoking in The Personal and Leisure

Section ?

Whoops...read the post Butts.

Will the £300 get through ?
  • VeryInTheRed
    Options
    Hi Butts,

I have no idea? It is what we spend as a couple and the section is there to put the amount?

If the OR won't allow it then why have a specific section for it?

I will find out when I get the fee together and press the go button :/
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Butts,

I have no idea? It is what we spend as a couple and the section is there to put the amount?

If the OR won't allow it then why have a specific section for it?

I will find out when I get the fee together and press the go button :/

Hi VITR,

Perhaps someone with a superior knowledge to ours will be able to make an informed comment on your situation and the original query I posed.
  • Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Why should your creditors receive less monies whilst you indulge in OPTIONAL LUXURIES

I do not mean that I this to sound condescending but during bankruptcy some luxuries have to go so that your creditors can get the best possible recoup of their money's.

Health wise this may be the best thing that has ever happened to you.....
  • VeryInTheRed
    Options
    Hopefully!

I know DebtDoctor is actively looking into the new SFS changes and intends to update the forum sometime this week.
  • VeryInTheRed
    Options
    Hi Richey,

You capitalised and underlined "optional luxurys".

Over the last 3 years I have tried every know method to completely stop smoking. Doctor prescribed medication, books, hypnotherapy, acupuncture, vaping (caused me to have major asthma problems of which I have not had for decades), patches, sprays, cold turkey dozens of times etc.

None have worked for me. I hate smoking, I hate the taste, smell, health worries and cost.

I do not consider being tied to something I hate a LUXURY
  • Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    I am sorry but I disagree with you and I did intentionally underline those words.

The only way to stop smoking from my experience is to just stop. No drugs, hypnotherapy, cutting down etc as all you do is set yourself up to fail. Just stop, your body will dispose of the nicotine over two weeks and then after that it is all psychological. You will feel awful for that time you will be grouchy, have headaches, sweats and sleep problems but it will not harm the body in any way. Indeed the opposite as the body will start to heal itself over time.

I went from 20-40 roll ups a day to nothing in one hit. It's tough but I'm promise you it's achievable and when you realise that you are not beholden to it any more it's liberating.

I'm not being condescending I promise. It's just if somebody owed me monies who could not repay me, if I knew they were spending £300 a month on cigarettes I would be pretty mad if I am honest.

Once all this bankruptcy business is sorted, you will be (if you quit) £300 - £600 a month better off, just imagine what you could do with £3600-£7200 a year in your pocket in terms of nice holiday, nice treats or nice car.

I am now debt free (bar mortgage) and I still make sure I keep the smoking money to one side so I can appreciate what I once burnt away. I also feel much healthier too.

Good luck, but my advice is just do it and after two weeks it's entirely psychological.

I still have no fingernails btw but I know this is psychological and not a physical craving, I can overcome that, but even after over 7 years it's tough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure