Donate for transplant or research?

Options
2»

Comments

• clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    My husband has signed up for medical research (Cardiff University) - I'm not too keen on the idea but it's his choice

They do have the provisio that they may not take it, I think it depends on how he dies etc

BTW in Wales it is opt out - I doubt the need for organs is greater than in England (I'm unsure if I can donate all of mine - I have signed up to organ donation when I was about 16 and it's on my drivers license - will they take third hand?)
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    I find it highly objectionable that my decision may be overidden by others after my death. Has anyone found a way round this? For example a clause in my will that disinherits if my wishes are no complied with?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you everyone. The only tobacco products I buy are equities! (Indirectly just by indexing) I'm asthmatic so I actively hate public smokers, and I'm flammable from my paraffin based eczema creams

I don't have strong preferences for location or headstone etc but might make arbitrary decisions if they don't feel up to making decisions, but they probably have stronger preferences than me
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is something I've been meaning to look into, I was hoping that my organs could be used for transplants first and then what's left goes off to scientific research. I know most places want a whole cadaver but there must be a need somewhere for just "bits" even for surgery practice it should be able to be done on just some of the body if some organs have already been harvested.

I hadn't actually considered what would happen if they didn't need to use me, I just assumed they were desperate for donations because most people don't like the thought of it.

I'm not even bothered about a funeral for me, quite happy for any friends and relatives to hold a wake if they want to but I don't want any of the fuss of a full ceremony. I don't like that sort of thing while alive so don't want it when I'm dead.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A friend had a transplant earlier this year. I hope the donor's family and loved ones have some idea how many people are overwhelmingly grateful to them and the donor for making that decision.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 July 2017 at 7:51PM
    Options
    You could always wean your family onto the idea by making an altrustic donation, say of a kidney?

It'll have most of the essential tests done & in your records so accelerating the process later on.

It would also give the medics clear evidence of your active intentions - the scarring is easily read & you need never worry about a misplaced donor card. Your body will already say Donor! Which may help your medics coax your family - see he's already donated one, he wanted to, chose to...

In fact, once the healthy living has really got a grip, you may be able to donate a part of your liver - it regenerates (over a couple of months, not like Dr.Who!) The slightly odder bit would be clearing the psychological screening as to why are you doing this - "training my family" may not be quite the answer they can handle.

I'll presume you're signed up with the blood donors? (Register online here)? Can't see the family grumbling about that & the tea is lovely. Bone marrow register? Both the NHS one here and the more widely known Antony Nolan one here?

Educating the wife is also doable - before the patter of tiny feet there is the possibility of donating the blood from the umbilical cord and placenta (Antony Nolan again, here) - risk free for you, her & the baby & if the first childbirth goes as is to be expected, the dear girl may need reminding how well she's done as if she can recall five things after that 48 hours she'll be doing better than I did.

Go on, sign up. Nothing's certain but death & taxes, and while there are tax avoidance schemes around, isn't it nicer to be on the other team sharing, prolonging quality, saving life?

Headstones are expensive. But so is dialysis. Give someone ten really good years & that they don't know your name & dates is immaterial - they & their families will be just so thankful.
  • kitty4ever
    Options
    OP, get in touch with Gunther von Hagens
    "But afterward he sent his son to them, saying, 'They will respect my son.' "But when the vine-growers saw the son, they said among themselves, 'This is the heir; come, let us kill him and seize his inheritance.' "They took him, and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.
  • troubleinparadise
    Options
    Brain donation is a very altruistic body part to donate, and you don't need to be a super-healthy person - indeed, the more weird and wonderful neurological diseases the better, although healthy brains are also welcomed.

You sign up in advance (!) for this with the Brain Bank, but you will need to have an understanding and onside family member or friend who will contact the Bank upon your death.

The tissue is retrieved, very respectfully, within 24-72 hours of death, and your body is then available for your funeral.

My mum donated her brain to Parkinson's research, the whole event was handled very discreetly and sensitively, and when I saw her afterwards you would not know anything had happened. I received a brief report of their findings some months later.

Here's a bit more information:

https://www.mrc.ac.uk/research/facilities-and-resources-for-researchers/brain-banks/donating-brain-and-spinal-cord-tissue/

And for all aspects of donation, the Human Tissue Authority website makes informative reading:

https://www.hta.gov.uk/donating-your-body
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport