Arctic circle and not a thing to wear!

Options

Comments

• poe.tuesday
    poe.tuesday Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Options
    have a look here about what to wear in places like lapland and norway

https://www.lapland.fruitbandit.com

as for the cotton thing as a base layer, if you are not going to be active then it does not matter if you have a cotton blend etc as it is only when you sweat that cotton is a no no as it absorbs the sweat and does not draw it away from your skin, bit like having a cold wet flannel on

regarding facial creams, the reason you should not use water based creams is that they can freeze but the likelihood is slim, also, it is not advised to put any creams on your face in temps lower than about -20 as your skin does need to breath, as for suntan lotions - they ain't no sun until later on in the year, the sun only starts to come above the horizon in lat jan so in feb you may get a few hours of dim sunlight so don't bother with sun lotion or sunglasses

I would also highly recommend you get ice grips that attach to the bottom of your boots, you can get them in tchibo for under a tenner for a pair, they really will stop you from slipping on the ice and with an older person with you who maybe a little more fragile it could save broken bones
  • meester
    meester Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    Options
    Ugh.

Cold.

Still haven't found my cheap flights to Egypt yet.
  • MsCrow
    MsCrow Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    Great thread, we're also off to Tromso so I'm reading with interest. We're also going by ourselves so will be walking about. I think my major worry is boots, I have a pair I don't mind getting snowy etc, but do I need something better?
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If it is a case of having to buy cold weather clothing can I suggest that you wait until you get to your destination. The shops there will cater for all your needs and will be in a better position to advise you of what you will need to combat the local conditions.
    It is unlikely that you will freeze on your arrival and you can ask your hosts or hotel staff where the best place to shop for clothes is to be found then go shopping for a couple of hours and you will be all set for the rest of your trip.
  • poe.tuesday
    poe.tuesday Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't buy on arrival, not only will it be expensive but you will waste time, not have the choice and you should really be repaired before you go

the stuff you get over here is fine, you just need to follow the basic rules of thin layers with a good ski coat and trousers (or all in one if you prefer), the most important thing is good gloves, hat and boots.

I prefer mittens as it gives more room for your fingers to move about and for air to circulate, as for boots, there are lots of options here but they need to have a good tread as you will be walking on a variety of surfaces including packed down show/ice - I have north face nuptse boots and they have done me well in lapland with temps in excess of -25, they are lightweight and very cumfy

there is a company in the US that has some great stuff which is also cheap, they ship over here and have live help as regards to sizing etc, http://www.sierratradingpost.com/
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MsCrow wrote: »
    Great thread, we're also off to Tromso so I'm reading with interest. We're also going by ourselves so will be walking about. I think my major worry is boots, I have a pair I don't mind getting snowy etc, but do I need something better?

Yes! You need proper outdoor boots with a really good thick sole. I bought mine from an outdoor shop and they are specially made for cold weather with a Thinsulate lining. My feet were lovely and warm all the time except when we were on a Reindeer ride and my feet weren't filling the shoe properly were I was sitting with my legs out in front of me. The cold air got in and honestly, even with multiple socks my feet have never been so cold and painful. I wouldn't even take a chance.

By the way, they don't get snowy like they do here because it's usually always below freezing, it's like dust - it falls straight off. There's no sludge and the heat from your feet will do nothing to melt anything sitting on your shoes. I wore my boots constantly for a week and they came back as good as brand new.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • monkeyspanner
    Options
    Couple of suggestions.
    A neck fleece is useful which you can pull up over your mouth.
    Get some hand warmer sachets from an outdoor shop.
    Don't skimp on gloves and boots.

Keep your carbs intake up and drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.

Strangely it often doesnt feel that cold because it is so dry. Watch out if is windy. We saw the lights in South Norway a few years ago, its an amazing sight.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    :eek:BBBRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!:eek:
    It's making me feel cold just reading this thread!:rotfl:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd appreciate some more advice on the best footwear to take. I'm doing touristy things, not walking/trekking, but my circulation stops at my ankles at the best of times. I looked at the nuptse boots that were mentioned, but the shop assistant in blacks and the cotwold outdoor shop said they weren't windproof, and advised against. The north face shop only had boots left that were £110 and out of my pricerange. Help!

Edit - currently looking at the north face vanton boots (childrens at £50, as I have small feet. )
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Sus1e
    Sus1e Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    Right - I needed everything I took (see earlier post). The Ski pants were only used when we were doing activities such as Husky Sledding/Snow mobiling. Thermals, Layers, Decent gloves are a must - and apparently it wasn't even cold for that time of year!

The pavements were like ice rinks, so solid boots, with good grips are essential.

Don't wait to buy clothes out there as everything is very expensive (especailly alcohol).

Had a wonderful time though and would recommend it to anyone.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member Number #1906
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport