EBay account suspended. Help!

Options
Posting on behalf of my daughter who is at university. I don't know all the facts so please bear with me.

My daughter has just purchased a textbook for her university course, and then received this email from eBay;

Hello *****
Your eBay account was suspended because recent account activity has raised security concerns. We've taken this precaution to protect our members while we make sure that the activity doesn't cause harm - however unintentionally - to the eBay community.

You won't be able to use eBay in any way. This includes using another account or registering a new account.

Any outstanding selling fees are due immediately and any amounts that you haven't previously disputed will be charged to the billing method currently on file.

Regards

EBay customer service"

She's panicking as she only tried to buy a textbook for her uni course (psychology). I don't know exactly which book but I can ask if you think it's relevant.

Please can you help me to help her as she's hundreds of miles away and I'm not there to help.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    Options
    Did she buy this book while on her own laptop or borrow someone elses?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,286 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Posting on behalf of my daughter who is at university. I don't know all the facts so please bear with me.

My daughter has just purchased a textbook for her university course, and then received this email from eBay;

Hello *****
    Your eBay account was suspended because recent account activity has raised security concerns. We've taken this precaution to protect our members while we make sure that the activity doesn't cause harm - however unintentionally - to the eBay community.

You won't be able to use eBay in any way. This includes using another account or registering a new account.

Any outstanding selling fees are due immediately and any amounts that you haven't previously disputed will be charged to the billing method currently on file.

Regards

EBay customer service"

She's panicking as she only tried to buy a textbook for her uni course (psychology). I don't know exactly which book but I can ask if you think it's relevant.

Please can you help me to help her as she's hundreds of miles away and I'm not there to help.

Thank you very much.

It's going to be difficult to advise you without more info, as we can only guess what's happened and may be wildly inaccurate. There is also the possibility that even you won't know the actual truth - just in case something has been done in the past which daughter now regrets.

Firstly though, it might just be a co incidence that the purchase of a text book has triggered this, it just might be completely unrelated. It is almost unknown for a buyer only to be suspended, I can't think of any situation apart from shill building or buying from a linked account where a buyer can be perceived to be at fault.

some random thoughts that might need to be considered:

1) At some point in the past the account has been used for something against ebay rules, perhaps a 'pay day loan' type scam or a false INR/SNAD claim. Young people are often more lax with their passwords around friends than us older more paranoid people tend to be and maybe if it wasn't your daughter someone else used their account.

2) as above, someone in the past has used the account, either with or without your daughter's knowledge and a warning was received but overlooked and this has now resulted in a full ban.

3) the ISP has previously been used by a scammer, this is actually a more likely scenario when using university digs, it is not uncommon for students in certain areas to run small time scams, many years ago I got caught up in one from a uni near Bournemouth that was apparently rife among short term student placements.

4) another family member that has some shared info, maybe an ISP, address or something has been restricted and this is the knock on effect.

I would advise your daughter to phone ebay and keep phoning them- in case it is 3) or 4) above she needs to make it clear she has just moved into uni digs and it might be the ISP has triggered the ban that has nothing at all to do with her.

There was a similar scenario recently on another board, a small B and B owner who sold on ebay as a business was restricted as one of her guests, using the home wi fi was restricted and it linker her to their account, so it can happen.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure the email is actually from eBay? Did you DD read it in her ebay messaging system or was it through her email account?
    Can she still log into her eBay account?
    It could be a phishing scam?
  • soolin
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Are you sure the email is actually from eBay? Did you DD read it in her ebay messaging system or was it through her email account?
    Can she still log into her eBay account?
    It could be a phishing scam?

I did consider that but the cut and paste message had no links - so it didn't seem an obvious phish.

Unfortunately I really don't think we have a lot to go on here until OP comes back with more information.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mossstitchmama
    mossstitchmama Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2017 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Thanks for your replies so far. She's in a lecture atm. I've advised her to try eBay chat when she comes back to her flat and see if that can sort it out.

I think this is the first time she has bought from eBay since moving. I can see that using the uni WiFi may have led to some confusion if there had been a problem with a previous occupant.

I now have the book title, which might suggest the problem.

How children develop by Nancy Eisenberg, Robert Siegel.

Do you think this would have flagged up anything (abuse etc.)?

I'm sure it's a genuine email, she says she has it through email and also on her eBay account.

She also ordered using her own laptop. It's a brand new one but she's ordered things on it before (albeit at home).
  • soolin
    Options
    Thanks for your replies so far. She's in a lecture atm. I've advised her to try eBay chat when she comes back to her flat and see if that can sort it out.

I think this is the first time she has bought from eBay since moving. I can see that using the uni WiFi may have led to some confusion if there had been a problem with a previous occupant.

I now have the book title, which might suggest the problem.

How children develop by Nancy Eisenberg, Robert Siegel.

Do you think this would have flagged up anything (abuse etc.)?

I think it is unlikely the book purchase is involved
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,802 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I think it is unlikely the book purchase is involved

Agree - there are more than a dozen other sellers on ebay currently selling the same book, so it clearly isn't a 'banned' item (and of course shouldn't be -it's a standard text).
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    If her ebay address is her home address, do you think it might be because she's asked for it to be delivered to her halls of residence instead?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If its a shared IP, then she may be caught up being associated with a previously banned account on that IP.
  • soolin
    Options
    tyllwyd wrote: »
    If her ebay address is her home address, do you think it might be because she's asked for it to be delivered to her halls of residence instead?

As long as buyers add the new address to the PayPal payment it's fine, buyers can have as many addresses as they want registered.
    custardy wrote: »
    If its a shared IP, then she may be caught up being associated with a previously banned account on that IP.

That's my gut feeling on this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure