BlackRock Frontiers Investment Trust Tender Offer

Options
As a shareholder I recently received an email regarding the tender offer for (100% of) shares in BlackRock Frontiers Investment Trust. I lost the will to live not far into the 64 page pdf below. This tender seems to have been pre-scheduled and I see the offer is for NAV less costs, but I think I'm struggling to read between the lines as to the 'why?'. Specifically given it's a 100% tender and the possibility of discontinuance is mentioned, yet there's mention of expanding the investment strategy and a C share class issue.

Any other shareholders out there (or Philapdelphia lawyers) care to shed any light in layman's terms?

"At the time of the Company’s launch in December 2010, the Company stated that before the Company’s fifth annual general meeting, the Board would formulate and submit to Shareholders proposals (which may constitute a tender offer or other method of distribution) to provide Shareholders with an opportunity to realise the value of the Ordinary Shares at the applicable Net Asset Value per Ordinary Share less costs. The Company’s fifth annual general meeting is due to be held on 10 February 2016."

https://www.blackrock.com/uk/individual/literature/shareholder-letters/blackrock-frontier-investment-trust-tender-offer-circular-shareholder-letter-en-uk.pdf

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Basically they had committed that although the nature of the things invested in can be illiquid, they would give people an exit option (rather than people have to dive for the exit at below NAV) by the time of the 5 th annual meeting, as you say.

They are making good on the promise - if you want to sell rather than hold, they will put some of the assets into a pool and either sell down assets in an orderly fashion or hopefully have you bought out by Winterflood who then intend to flip them on to 'new investors' and not disturb the portfolio.

However, they make the point that they could probably deploy another $100m on top of the existing $140-150m portfolio, and so assuming they don't get a massive amount of people heading for the exit and there is demand by the new investors who would have otherwise picked up shares via Winterflood, they will perhaps issue some more shares and deploy new cash into the sector (rather than just using new investor cash to allow old investors to exit). This should assure investors that it's not all doom and gloom.

As a consequence of offering a tender at NAV less costs, the shares are trading quite close to NAV without a massive discount. So you could sell them in the market rather than waiting for the tender process. The documentation notes that there's no guarantee the tender price will be better than what you can get on the market for your holding - it might in fact be worse ; markets are fickle.

Emerging and frontier market investments can be illiquid and when out of favour, the discount against NAV for some investment trusts can open up widely sometimes. One thing you could consider is getting out of this one at roughly NAV and getting into another one which is on more of a discount.

Of course, there are often valid reasons why some trusts are on a discount and some not - for example Advance Frontier Markets AFMF is probably 9 or 10% below NAV but that's a fund of funds so not an apples to apples comparison.
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply bowlhead. I think I'll hold onto the shares for now. My shareholding is relatively small (in comparison to my other investments trusts which have also tanked recently) and were bought for the long term, so will stick. The dividend hasn't been bad either surprisingly.
  • Norderney
    Options
    I've been thinking about investing in this trust.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I will be investing this next tax year, for better or worse.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure