PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Areas between Luton and Bromley?

Options
Hi all,

My partner and I are thinking about areas we would like to look at to move into together, but we are struggling to think of areas that would suit us both.

He works at Luton airport and drives to work. I work in Bromley South and get the train. I COULD drive, but it would involve the expense of buying a car etc etc.

Current commute for both of us is 40mins (we live apart currently) and ideally we'd like to keep it below an hour for both of us if we can.

Ideas...?

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Does he need to drive or could he get a train?

Budget/essential requirements?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Does he need to drive or could he get a train?

Budget/essential requirements?

Well, he works shifts and odd hours so when he finishes at 2am or starts at 4am (which is fairly frequently) then he wouldn't be able to get home via train.

We're pretty open minded in terms of requirements. Don't mind being more central or further out but really would like a garden and we're not prepared to share with anyone else. Currently we pay combined rent and bills of around £2400 between us, so quite a healthy budget for a rental in most areas of London.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ok, looking at this, you might consider places just off the M1, but with decent train links.

For example, Hendon. It is a 1hr 6 minute train journey from Hendon to Bromley South with 1 change at Herne Hill. So yes, it's a bit long, but it's a fairly simple route.

It is a 1 hr drive from Hendon to Luton, right up the M1.

You could also look at Mill Hill, which has similar travel times and I think is a bit nicer.

If you drove you could look at places near Brentwood on the M25
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For example, Hendon. It is a 1hr 6 minute train journey from Hendon to Bromley South with 1 change at Herne Hill. So yes, it's a bit long, but it's a fairly simple route.

It is a 1 hr drive from Hendon to Luton, right up the M1.

You could also look at Mill Hill, which has similar travel times and I think is a bit nicer.

Hendon to Luton by car will be a very variable journey. Some days/times 1 hour will be nowhere near enough, others it will be very generous. You also need to get onto the M1 from where you live and in Hendon/Brent Cross that in itself can take quite a while!

With the railway journey it is also worth looking at the different train types - a fast train from St Albans (perhaps even Harpenden) can get you to St Pancras quicker than the slow train from Mill Hill or Hendon.

I'd also consider Stevenage for its fast trains to Kings Cross and in the near future connection to the Thameslink network South of the river. Stevenage to Luton is an easy drive, just follow the planes ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 9 October 2017 at 2:01PM
    Options
    Yeh, I did think of further north but wanted to keep the train commute under an hour. I live near Radlett, and you could easily do Radlett->Herne Hill->Bromley South in about 1 hr 15, and it's not too far from the M1 to get to Luton. Plus it's nice and green around here!

There are trains directly from St Albans to Bromley South several times an hour - it does sound like OPs ideal commuting location. Rent will be pricey and you won't get much of a garden if you live near the station though. St Albans is a good place to live though. The season ticket would be about £3,700 a year though.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thames link comes straight through with several areas to change only once between Luton and Bromley.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/Thameslink_route_map.pdf

Herne Hill, Kentish Town, Elephant & Castle... and many other options. You'll need to look on the north side if he insists on driving, or needs to for work.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

St Albans was somewhere mentioned by others so we'll start our search there.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    Yeh, I did think of further north but wanted to keep the train commute under an hour. I live near Radlett, and you could easily do Radlett->Herne Hill->Bromley South in about 1 hr 15, and it's not too far from the M1 to get to Luton. Plus it's nice and green around here!

There are trains directly from St Albans to Bromley South several times an hour - it does sound like OPs ideal commuting location. Rent will be pricey and you won't get much of a garden if you live near the station though. St Albans is a good place to live though. The season ticket would be about £3,700 a year though.

No offence but Radlett is a real soulless place to live my grandparents were there for 30 years.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 9 October 2017 at 4:36PM
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    No offence but Radlett is a real soulless place to live my grandparents were there for 30 years.

No offense taken, not that I agree with it! It's just a place I tend to get the train to London from and drive through on the way to my children's school.. I don't live in the place!

It's got a nice little theatre, some nice looking Churches and Synagogues, a good park for the kids, Cricket club, a few ok pubs and a bunch of restaurants on the high street. Yes, it's flipping expensive but I wouldn't call it soulless! If you want soulless try the rows after rows of new flats in neighbouring Borehamwood

To the OP: My friend moved from Essex to St. Albans a year ago and loves the place.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    No offense taken, not that I agree with it! It's just a place I tend to get the train to London from and drive through on the way to my children's school.. I don't live in the place!

It's got a nice little theatre, some nice looking Churches and Synagogues, a good park for the kids, Cricket club, a few ok pubs and a bunch of restaurants on the high street. Yes, it's flipping expensive but I wouldn't call it soulless! If you want soulless try the rows after rows of new flats in neighbouring Borehamwood

To the OP: My friend moved from Essex to St. Albans a year ago and loves the place.

St Albans is lovely that I agree with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport