Monday 11th April - what small DFW things will you do today?

Options

Comments

• JHiggins91
    JHiggins91 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all.

Weekend was a financial disaster, left me feeling really, really rotten. Any sort of steps I've taken over the past few months have been null and voided by an unexpectant emergency :( it's taken me since Friday to stop sulking and face up to it as a bigger challenge, so I'm putting on a more determined, braver face lol

Today will be a NSD
    Going to check to see if our tariff for electricity is cheaper overnight and if so do washings overnight
    Tidy house tonight
    Meals from freezer
    Make sure I apply for two jobs

Have a good day all!
    J
  • chiefsfanuk
    Options
    Good afternoon all,
    Lots of great ideas on here!

Myself, I put the change from my purse in a pot on my shelf before coming to work to avoid the temptation of buying food in work. Am now sipping on a cuppa soup that I had in my desk drawer and reading the forums on my lunch break. Planning on an NSD today and tonight I will write my groceries list for tomorrow.
    Have a great day everyone!
    V
    V xxx
    :idea: LBM 5/4/16 :idea:
    DMP Journey starts April 2016. Time to take control once and for all!
    Unsecured Debt £20583/£20583 Emergency fund £0/£1000
  • HelleBelle
    HelleBelle Posts: 96 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2016 at 1:16PM
    Options
    Oh no JHiggins, what happened?
    Those steps are NOT! null and void. You've paid off some which if you hadn't - you would be in a worse place now.
    Plus you've been becoming more and more MSE every day by incorporating MSE things in every day.
    Wishing you well x
    New total: £24,006 :(
    I will do this.
  • JHiggins91
    Options
    Thanks HelleBelle, was a very unexpected bill of 875, I don't get paid until Friday OH the end of the month so was very stressful!
    I know you're right, had I not been as actively fighting the debt we wouldn't have been able to pay what was needed so I suppose it did serve it's purpose.
    Thanks for your kind wishes :) makes things a bit bearable!
    J
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 April 2016 at 7:11PM
    Options
    Afternoon all :)
    Thanks for the start PF :)
    Sorry to hear about your unexpected bill JHiggins, as Hellebelle says, at least you had put in place a strategy to deal with it, so well done for that :)
    MTC, hoping for good news on the job / house search soon :)

Pouring with rain here all night, and stll raining now :(
    Heating is back on :(Off now, wood stove alight :)
    Not a big list today, spent the morning at DD's looking after little GD, who had been sick all night, so her Mum could go to her doctor's appointment. Consequently not much else done, just a few surveys and all food from home really :o

Still to do:
    A dog walk, if it ever stops raining. No point trying to take him out in the rain as he won't walk, and I just end up going for a wet walk with a small dog tucked inside my coat :rotfl:Stopped raining mid afternoon, so we went for a rather muddy walk:)
    Check banks - spendy week coming up so may have to move some money :(Still to do
    Some personal admin which has got left because of business admin overload over last few days And this :o
    Make some fish cakes for supper, using lovely fresh parsley from the garden :)Ended up with a takeaway, which is almost unheard of for us :o:eek:
    See if anythng needs watering (nothing outside will, that is for sure!) Just an old cyclamen plant which has been relegated to the conservatory

Hope everyone has a good day, and better weather than we have here :)

A friend of OH's and his wife turned up mid afternoon, and didn't leave till 6, by which time we were starving, having not had much for lunch - I would have made the fish cakes earlier had we been expecting visitors. So OH took a short trip to the fish and chip shop once we had waved them off instead. Still, it was nice to see them :)

Must do better tomorrow and for the rest of the week, as we have an expensive week :eek: The car is due 2 new tyres, OH's truck needs its MOT and the dog is having a much needed haircut, all of which need to be paid for!

On the plus side, I will do the fish cakes tomorrow, and there will be enough for a couple of days :)

And I have harvested some of the micro leaves I sowed to use up packets of old seed. It looks very posh! I will mix the seedlings with ordinary salad leaves from the supermarket to make it go further / jazz it up a bit! And resow once the containers are empty, as I have more old seed packets (some of which were free) that need to be used up. Currently I have radish, mizuna and rocket, which I harvest once they have their first true leaves. You just uproot them, wash them well and eat the whole thig. They produce something to eat just a couple of weeks after sowing at this time of year, before the proper salad leaves are ready if (like me) you don't have a proper greenhouse. Mine live in one of those cheap, polythene covered mini greenhouses on the patio, but I have just grown them on the windowsill in the past. In the warmer weather, they can be grown outside :) It is a nice activity to do with children, as they grow so quickly :D
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JHiggins91 wrote: »
    Afternoon all.

Weekend was a financial disaster, left me feeling really, really rotten. Any sort of steps I've taken over the past few months have been null and voided by an unexpectant emergency :( it's taken me since Friday to stop sulking and face up to it as a bigger challenge, so I'm putting on a more determined, braver face lol

Today will be a NSD
    Going to check to see if our tariff for electricity is cheaper overnight and if so do washings overnight
    Tidy house tonight
    Meals from freezer
    Make sure I apply for two jobs

Have a good day all!
    J

Please don't be too disheartened, you have been making great progress and had you not things could be looking a lot worse. Keep up the MSE ways and you'll smash it in no time. We think you're doing great :T
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PurpleFairy Thanks for starting us off this morning.

Yesterday turned out surprisingly busy, I intended to have a quiet day at home, ended up going to a regular monthly session that I take dd to (I had forgotten it was 2nd Sunday of the month) my sister also goes (with her dd) and she gave us a lift (approx 20 miles) we also met a friend who had brought along her 2 children, we had a good time at the group and catching up with friends as well as me and my sister enjoyed a free delicious mocha each. Glad I went as we had a good time, but surprised how tired I felt afterwards. I also spent some of yesterday planning this week, as most days this week have a HE group, time tabling lessons as well as doing a rough meal plan for the week, not helped by the fact that I haven't got my appetite back.

JHiggins sorry to hear about your emergency, but all the work you have put in previously will help you deal this emergency and be even better prepared for any that arise in the future, don't beat yourself up, try and work out what you can do to recover.

Dawn it is a very real fear your dog has of downing in a rain drop :rotfl:

Make the change sorry to hear about your anxieties return :(

CCL Hope the first day of term went smoothly and your children cooperate at getting things ready for school tonight.

Lego mum well done with sorting out your email accounts, this is one of my on going projects, mine still need a lot of work done on them, but I am getting their, just very slowly.

Today I have/will:
    LSD, only children's gym tuition
    Post on this thread for support, motivation and inspiration
    Open curtains fully
    Close curtains before it gets dark
    Turn off lights and appliances not in use
    reusable sanitary wear
    Stick to meal plan
    B/L/D from stores
    make bread
    PAD into saving £3.66 -1p
    Soak porridge overnight, batch made last night
    Set DW to run overnight
    Set WM to run overnight, only if their is enough for a full load
    Contact friends to organise our next order with wholesaler
    Unpack bags, when we get home so nothing is lost, damaged or allowed to go off
    Pack snacks
    Take water with us
    Check FPL
    Educate children for free
    Entertain children and us for free
    Wash hair and leave to dry naturally
    Keep heating to a minimum, nothing downstairs, upstairs thermostats turned down low, we have jumpers and blankets
    Cull 100 emails
    signed up for some free Shakespeare resources
    Our free dvd of Kung fo panda arrived, thank Ally
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just been and caught up with yesterday's thread, La E hope you make a speedy recovery.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • JHiggins91
    Options
    Helle Belle, lego mum, ziggy & Bailey's Babe Thanks so much for your kind words! It really does make it easier to take and I know that I can do this - thanks for the support :)

I've calmed down a bit now, got more than needed spag bol slowly cooking so I can freeze some for quick meals during the week :)

Hope you're all having a nice evening :)

J
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all JHiggins hope you're feeling better about the bill. I think no matter how in control of things we are, something will always come and side swipe us when we least expect it. Keep going is all I can say. Hugs to those that need them. Hope your feeling better La E hope today wasn't to stressful MTC

Good day here, home to find that DH has put our new bedroom blinds up. Measured them myself and was nervous of them fitting, didn't want to pay an additional 15% 'insurance' against them being wrong size :eek: I can now order lounge ones from same company :T

At work today got given £100 in gift vouchers to a big restaurant chain to say thank you for some stuff I've done recently. That's the entertainment budget sorted for the next couple of months :T

Have already done a p1necone survey, off to check some more. Stay dry peoples (and Dawns dog :rotfl:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure