Can we be compensated? Hurricane

Options
13»

Comments

• balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Disney will probably give you extra park passes valid indefinitely if you chat them up at guest services so could be used on future holidays.

Ignore the smart mouths , some people are just plain nasty and revel in the misfortune of others ......very sad. Hope you get the most out of your remaining holiday. Get onto the dibb and look for ways to stretch your funds a bit further with meal deals etc whilst waiting for everything to reopen to help stretch your remaining funds.

everything has re-opened now, the curfew was lifted at 2pm on 7th October in Orlando, and although restaurants in the area weren't all open that evening, yesterday everything was back to normal with the parks etc all open.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It's amazing how fast it returns to normal. I was a Disney in Ca when an earthquake hit. All rides were closed for safety checks , within 90 minutes all the major rides and most of the minior ones were checked and reopened.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Not at all, this is an eminently predictable event that would have to be allowed for, by no means certain or even probable but a definite possibility.

Schadenfreude doesn't apply, I have sympathy for people in a difficult situation but that is moderated by the actual situation and the planning, precautions and fall back options that exist.

My view is that is you can't afford a couple of extra days when soemthing goes wrong on a holiday then you probably can't afford it, others views may differ but there are unfortunately consequences to actions, or indeed inaction, hopefully people live and learn for their experiences but there is no guarantee of that either.

I'm not sure a hurricane of this magnitude could have been predicted unless you visited a fortune teller. But I could be wrong and the OP had the weather forecast before they booked and decided to encounter the adventure as a sort of Bear Grylls survival expedition.

However, the mere fact of replying to someone in distress instead of moving onto the the next thread and having nothing to positively offer and taking the high moral ground to me smacks of a superior stance verging on Schadenfreude. But I could be wrong.
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    Options
    Laz123 wrote: »
    I'm not sure a hurricane of this magnitude could have been predicted unless you visited a fortune teller. But I could be wrong and the OP had the weather forecast before they booked and decided to encounter the adventure as a sort of Bear Grylls survival expedition.

However, the mere fact of replying to someone in distress instead of moving onto the the next thread and having nothing to positively offer and taking the high moral ground to me smacks of a superior stance verging on Schadenfreude. But I could be wrong.
    Save your money on a fortune teller. Notice the water temps off the coast of Florida and keep in mind you need 80 degree's to maintain a hurricane.

161009.283.comp.lnt.jpg
  • scotcheggs_2
    Options
    Hi startup 1985. I'm really sorry to hear of your holiday hassles. Unless you took out very specific travel insurance that details compensation for hurricanes then I'm afraid that 'acts of god' are not generally covered. I also think that most insurers will not cover hurricane events in the Florida region. Thomas Cook are required to repatriate you to the UK and they will do so. I wish I could give you better news; perhaps try to make the most of your time left, if possible. Best regards.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SnooksNJ wrote: »
    Save your money on a fortune teller. Notice the water temps off the coast of Florida and keep in mind you need 80 degree's to maintain a hurricane.

161009.283.comp.lnt.jpg

Really?
    We've had hurricanes in the U.K., I'll bet the sea barely reaches 40 degrees let alone 80!
  • Startup1985
    Options
    Hi all and Thanks for all the comments, we returned home today and really enjoyed our last few days after the hurricane day. The weather turned tropical again and everything reopened. I should have said I have a credit card but I really didn't want to have to spend anything on it especially as it's interest free period has ended. As it happened I took several recordings of the hurricane and uploaded them to my YouTube channel. A couple of US news channels linked to them and I recieved a hell of a lot of views which has currently earnt me £150, what a bonus :)
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Now that is definitely making lemonade from lemons lol
    I wonder if bigatwit predicted that too........
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    Really?
    We've had hurricanes in the U.K., I'll bet the sea barely reaches 40 degrees let alone 80!
    I'm seeing a lot of remnants and Hurricane's that have transitioned to extra tropical systems on this list but not much in the way of an actual warm core Hurricane hitting the UK.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone_effects_in_Europe
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport