Help to keep me honest

Options

Comments

• allybee101
    Options
    Well done on your progress so far. With the new balance transfer CCs, make sure the physical card is out of sight and therefore out of mind so you're not tempted to spend on it. Put them in a sealed envelope at the back of a drawer, or wrap in a bag and freeze in a block of water in the freezer. You could even cut it up straightaway so it can't be used in a physical shop. When I last did a balance transfer 18 months ago I also shredded the PIN when it arrived so I didn't know what it was.

On the banana mountain - banana bread is delicious. Lots of recipes online for banana and nut, banana and chocolate etc so take your pick.
    They also freeze very well.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    allybee101 wrote: »
    Well done on your progress so far. With the new balance transfer CCs, make sure the physical card is out of sight and therefore out of mind so you're not tempted to spend on it. Put them in a sealed envelope at the back of a drawer, or wrap in a bag and freeze in a block of water in the freezer. You could even cut it up straightaway so it can't be used in a physical shop. When I last did a balance transfer 18 months ago I also shredded the PIN when it arrived so I didn't know what it was.

On the banana mountain - banana bread is delicious. Lots of recipes online for banana and nut, banana and chocolate etc so take your pick.
    They also freeze very well.

Hi allybee,
    Thanks, this is great advice, I will do this.
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Good morning diary and all,
    It looks like morning is going to be when I post this daily thought. Just arrived at work, made a coffee and just grabbing a few minutes to post this before the day begins. We enjoyed yesterday afternoon's retreat. It was a good opportunity to get some quiet time and to recenter and focus. It brought to my mind that however bad things get for us, we are never alone, and this forum is evidence of that. It was also a spend free day which was good.

Here are some DFW steps for today.
    1. Keep posting everyday on the small steps thread
    2. Signed up for myvouchers with Sainsbury (thanks to Crazycatlady for that tip!)
    3. Resurrected a winter coat from the wardrobe and realised its not that shabby so will last another winter!
    4. Scraped together enough change around the house to get lunch sandwich

Have a great day all!
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    I have heard from Virgin Money that the money transfer has been approved so when this comes through I will pay off the Natwest Loan, haven’t heard back from them yet on the settlement amount which I believe will include at least 2 months interest, but let’s see. On other matters, I have a potential opportunity to earn a bit extra with a project at work, these opportunities come along from time to time, sounds promising, should be firmed up in the next few days. In the past we would spend money like this several times over in our minds, or I would justify spends to myself on the basis that, well that will be covered by this extra. Now my attitude is more that, if it happens, great the debt will go down faster, and if not, still the debt is going down anyway! Looking forward to this evening’s dance class!! DS has got a great opportunity playing in the band at a pantomime and tonight is his first performance night, so hoping that goes well for him.
    Here are my DFW steps for today.
    1. 1. Keep posting everyday on the small steps thread
    2. 2. Resurrected a good suit from the back of wardrobe
    3. 3. Find out more about a project opportunity to earn some extra money at work outside contract.
    4. 4. Filled in YNAB
    5. 5. Today will be a low spend day
    Have a great day all!
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    So yesterday the money from Virgin Money arrived and I paid off the Natwest Loan by phone. This cost me £100 in interest (2 months) and another £150 as a transfer fee. But on the other hand, I am saving approx. £1400 in interest, so the net saving will be £1150 over the life of the loan. It’s interesting to me how I was sleepwalking along dutifully paying this monthly interest. Thanks to MSE for making me aware of the possibility of using a money transfer to pay this off!

Last night went along to the dance class which we really enjoyed. We pay for these in blocks of 10 so paid for the next batch. This is in the budget so that’s ok. The main thing for me now is to avoid using the credit cards or the overdraft to cover any spending. Thus I need to build up the buffer as per YNAB to be ready to cover any emergencies. I noticed that the last payment on the CC was the day before I started posting on this diary. No coincidence there, I am sure this daily posting is key to the mindset change.
    Here are some DFW steps for today.
    1. Keep posting everyday on the small steps thread
    2. Paid off loan with money transfer saving £1200 over life of loan
    3. Filled in YNAB
    4. Low spend day
    5. Signed up for surveys on Nectar Canvass
  • glass_half_full
    Options

I'm off to a conference today so on the train this morning,
    So I am half way towards transferring all the debt to zero % with the loan already gone to a Virgin money card and the credit card will be a balance transfer to a Sainsbury credit card for which I received the letter yesterday so just need to post that off. Yesterday was a low spend day in the end. My dear OH had used up the banana mountain and made some banana and walnut cake which was really nice. The evening was pretty busy though with helping DS with his personal statement for his University application. On the money front, had a bit of a scare because the boiler was on the blink when I got in. The light was Amber and flashing. It seemed ok when I reset it but can't be sure yet. Hence the reason for the title of this post. Everything is going well so far on the money front, and this is usually just when something big comes along to laugh in the face of your puny efforts. You have saved a few £ here and there but along comes a massive bill to knock you off course. In the YNAB method they call this 'rolling with the punches'. Here's hoping we don't need a new boiler! I am off travelling today and tomorrow and in the past this has been an area of difficulty because you often end up spending. I find myself in more spend situations, ok only small amounts but it adds up. You can't always claim it back either.
    Here are my small DFW steps for today:
    1. Keep posting every day on the small steps thread
    2. Remembered an expense I can claim
    3. Resist temptation to spend whilst travelling on business for 2 days
    4. Keep filling in YNAB
    Keep safe out there y'all!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Fingers crossed it's not a new boiler required. I'm lucky enough to know a gas man but I hate having to get tradespeople out...
    I really want to save for new doors and windows but don't know who to get to do it.
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Ok, here I am back after a year away. And in that time I have made really slow progress, reducing total debt to £16,077. In the meantime, a few setbacks have occurred including some household appliances giving up the ghost , the cooker and the washing machine and both needing to be replaced. Then the roof leaking and requiring redecoration of three upstairs bedrooms, And the car having a couple of major problems. On a more positive note, I have really got to grips with YNAB and at least can say that we are living within our means (just!) hence the very slow downward progress on the debt. Other good news is that OH has started a new job which means we have a bit more coming in each month. My goal now is to build up a buffer that will give us the ability to ride out the inevitable financial shocks that come along. And in the meantime, pay down the debt at a rate of £450 per month, Aiming to post at some kind of regular rate here which was the original plan to keep me on track.
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    I'm hoping to keep up some kind of regular posting here and that this will serve to keep me on track. Today I have finally been paid for a freelance project I took on over a year ago. At the time it felt a bit like a hospital pass because it was a project that had got behind schedule and the client was not really happy. But in the end it turned out to be really quite interesting. Although I was told I would be paid, to be honest I didn't quite believe it (I know that probably sounds strange). Anyway, to my slight amazement I have been paid today and it is £3000. I need to be careful because I will need to pay at least 30% in tax I reckon but still that leaves £2000. What I am going to do is to put this money into the savings buffer, so I have the £1000 available for the tax when the time comes. I now have a bit of a dilemma, because I would like to spend some of this windfall on a family holiday next summer (nothing too extravagant) and also a long planned and delayed refresh of the kitchen (refurb not new!). In the meantime, keep the repayments on the credit card going. I am sold on the idea of building up the savings buffer to cover unforeseen financial shocks. But I also feel that I need to continue to do a few positive things whilst at the same time grinding away at the debt.
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    I decided to do the SOA to see the situation since my OH has recently started a full time job and this should allow us to get rid of this debt since we now should have more disposable income to throw at the debt. I know that there are areas on here that we could cut back, In fact, compared to many other posts and diaries I have read on MSE I feel more than embarrassed that we have ended up with the debt that we have. We do pay for a cleaner now, this is to give my OH some space so she can concentrate on the new job which is quite demanding and so we felt this would be a good investment. This is the first time we have done this and it is a luxury that perhaps is more than a bit of an indulgence when in debt, although it has made a real difference to us. There are other areas, for example, we have a hobby we share that costs us together £80 per month which I would prefer not to cut back on. Then we give our 19 year old son an allowance of £80 per month, he is on a year out, but struggling to get regular work. So more areas where we could cut back for sure. A useful exercise this since it challenges your thinking.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 3
    Number of children in household.........
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2375
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 1900
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 4275

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 624
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 230
    Electricity............................. 45
    Gas..................................... 65
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 33
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 80
    TV Licence.............................. 12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 52
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 520
    Clothing................................ 100
    Petrol/diesel........................... 235
    Road tax................................ 25
    Car Insurance........................... 33
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 100
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 87
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 80
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 35
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 12
    Buildings insurance..................... 8
    Contents insurance...................... 8
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 20
    Haircuts................................ 25
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 100
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Prescriptions........................... 20
    Work related subscriptions.............. 26
    Hobbies................................. 82
    Cleaner................................. 60
    Newspaper subscription.................. 21.67
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2738.67

Assets

Cash.................................... 3160
    House value (Gross)..................... 350000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 3000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 356160

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 87000....(624)......3
    Total secured & HP debts...... 87000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Virgin.........................8299......80........0
    Sainsbury......................7778......80........0
    Total unsecured debts..........16077.....160.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 4,275
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,738.67
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,536.33
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 160
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 1,376.33

Created using the SOA calculator at https://www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport