ESA - Am I entitled and if so, how do I claim?

Options
Hi all

Over the last year, I've now lost two jobs due to issues with depression and am currently getting JSA through Universal Credit.

Someone I know reckons I'd also be entitled to Employment Support Allowance.

Does anyone on here know if that is likely to be the case? And if so, who do I contact about this?

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Over the last year, I've now lost two jobs due to issues with depression and am currently getting JSA through Universal Credit.

Does anyone on here know if that is likely to be the case? And if so, who do I contact about this?

Have you been working and paying class 1 NI contributions during the last two tax years? If you have then you may be entitled to contribution based ESA. Since you are in a UC area then this would be called 'new style ESA'. You would need a fit note from your doctor to claim this.

New style ESA can be claimed as well as UC but it is counted as income and deducted from your UC payment. Are you receiving housing costs with your UC?

What are your circumstances? Single? Partner? Children? Renting?

If you are not eligible for new style ESA then you could ask to be assessed for work capability. You would have to have a fit note from your doctor and evidence supporting your claim.

You could speak to your work coach about the new style ESA and about being assessed for work capability.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/universal-credit-for-disabled-people
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

You may be entitled to ESA instead of JSA, for all the difference that makes. They might decide there is nothing wrong with you and you're switching just to avoid having to find work. So you could lose both.

What are you doing about your depression?
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    You may be entitled to ESA instead of JSA, for all the difference that makes. They might decide there is nothing wrong with you and you're switching just to avoid having to find work. So you could lose both.

I've been back and fore to the GP quite a lot, on my 3rd different anti-depressant, which has been tweaked again.

I've tried counselling, online CBT and am also still on the waiting list for face to face CBT.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

With a comment like that you clearly have never suffered with depression!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options

What an utterly ridiculous comment. If the OP has a medical certificate from the GP, and has made the necessary NI contributions to qualify for Conts based ESA, they can claim ESA. There is no way that taking such a course of action would put them in a position where they wouldn't qualify for either benefit.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 November 2017 at 1:55PM
    Options

What a ridiculous comment.
    Completely incorrect.
    The difficulty with public forums is that it can attract ignorant and silly responses from people whose knowledge of the benefits system is solely based on prejudice.

OP - pmlindyloo has given you good advice.

These are the activities / descriptors / points for claiming New Style ESA (which is contribution based), or the Limited Capability for Work component within UC (income-based):
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/start-the-esa-test

See also: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/interview/claimant-commitment-what-group/

You may wish to get further help from your local CAB / advice agency.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • nicetomeetyou
    Options
    My friend is in the support group for depression.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Options
    You have two options

Income Related benefit, the one you get now called Universal credit.
    or
    Contributory benefit

You may already be on JSA Contributory New Style, only you can tell us, and is it being paid?

ok so
    If you want Income related
    , you ask UC to assess you for work capability. Essentially it means "I am giving you a doctor's sick note that has signed me off as unfit for work, please put me on the "sickness side" of UC."

If you want contributory benefit You have to phone UC and ask to claim ESA Conts New Style and give them a sick note from your doctor.

If you want to do both, you can do that too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure