IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Smart parking, Zenith, Gladstones - Northern Ireland

Options
Hi all,

I have been receiving debt collector letter from smart parking and zenith (another trading name of smart parking) for approximately one year for an alleged parking offence from August 2016 on a retail site that has a 2 hours parking restriction.

Until now I have been ignoring the letter but this week I have received from one Gladstone, from research on this forum I have determined it has been sent from DRP as the reference code begins with 3 and requests payment made to DRP therefore will not be paying the requested £170.

Unfortunately I am only finding this forum now so I have not lodged any appeals, I have read the newbies section which for NI states,

If in Scotland/NI:

Apart from (of course!!) complaining to the landowner/retailer you should IGNORE your fake PCN unless you are not the registered keeper and that is a company (hire car or leased/company vehicle).*

You are safe to ignore because there is no worthwhile appeals process - do not believe what the fake PCN says! This Watchdog video still applies in Scotland and NI because a PPC has to know who was driving (unlike in England/Wales now):

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY.

I now want to deal with the matter but I feel a bit lost. I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me to the correct step in the newbies where I should start. Is it too late to complain or appeal?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wal123g wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been receiving debt collector letter from smart parking and zenith (another trading name of smart parking) for approximately one year for an alleged parking offence from August 2016 on a retail site that has a 2 hours parking restriction.

Until now I have been ignoring the letter but this week I have received from one Gladstone, from research on this forum I have determined it has been sent from DRP as the reference code begins with 3 and requests payment made to DRP therefore will not be paying the requested £170.

Unfortunately I am only finding this forum now so I have not lodged any appeals, I have read the newbies section which for NI states,

If in Scotland/NI:

Apart from (of course!!) complaining to the landowner/retailer you should IGNORE your fake PCN unless you are not the registered keeper and that is a company (hire car or leased/company vehicle).*

You are safe to ignore because there is no worthwhile appeals process - do not believe what the fake PCN says! This Watchdog video still applies in Scotland and NI because a PPC has to know who was driving (unlike in England/Wales now):

I now want to deal with the matter but I feel a bit lost. I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me to the correct step in the newbies where I should start. Is it too late to complain or appeal?

Many thanks in advance!

f in Scotland/NI:

Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also, if this has gone-on for a full year, there won't be much else you can do but take the debt collector advice in Post 4 - Unless you can get the landowner to cancel it, which TBH is normally best done early-on.
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you in Northern Ireland, or was the ticket issued in Northern Ireland?

I'd be inclined to reply to all parties with a simply "GFY" letter along the lines of,

"Dear Gallstones,

I note that POFA 2102 Schedule 4 only applies to charges issued to, and/or vehicles registered in England and Wales.

As the vehicle is registered in NI/the charge was issued in NI, the keeper can not be held liable for any alleged debt. Please refer the matter back to your clients for their consideration,

Love and hugs,

Wal123g"
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    StaffsSW wrote: »
    Are you in Northern Ireland, or was the ticket issued in Northern Ireland?

I'd be inclined to reply to all parties with a simply "GFY" letter along the lines of,

"Dear Gallstones,

I note that POFA 2102 Schedule 4 only applies to charges issued to, and/or vehicles registered in England and Wales.

As the vehicle is registered in NI/the charge was issued in NI, the keeper can not be held liable for any alleged debt. Please refer the matter back to your clients for their consideration to Arkell vs Pressdram,

Love and hugs,

Wal123g"

Suggested alternative. :D
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    you should IGNORE your fake PCN

Which part of that are you struggling to understand?
  • wal123g
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Suggested alternative. :D

Thanks StaffsSW and DoaM

Yes I am in NI and ticket was issued here, does that effect your suggestion?
  • wal123g
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Which part of that are you struggling to understand?

I am really just wanting peace of mind if ignoring is still the best policy since Gladstone have "supposedly" got involved. I read in another post (not sure if it was on this forum or not) that as it went to a Gladstone, even if just their letter head at the minute, that it means it will eventually go to court?
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if it does get to court in NI , please tell everyone , because it would be a first
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    wal123g wrote: »
    I am really just wanting peace of mind if ignoring is still the best policy since Gladstone have "supposedly" got involved. I read in another post (not sure if it was on this forum or not) that as it went to a Gladstone, even if just their letter head at the minute, that it means it will eventually go to court?

You'd be the very first private parking case taken to court in NI either fronted by Gladstones, or anyone else for that matter - as far as we are aware, and I'm sure we would be if one had been attempted.

Sleep easy.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • wal123g
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    if it does get to court in NI , please tell everyone , because it would be a first

Wow this is music to my ears!! :T

Hopefully you'll not hear from me again then :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family