PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy to Let, Let to Buy and Limited Companies

Options
Hi folks,
I have a bit of an unusual situation, at least it is to me, and was hoping for some guidance.

For better of worse, I owned a house with a friend that we had planned to sell, but due to the crash in 2008, we were unable and it ended up being rented since (except for one year where I lived in it after selling one house and later buying and renovating another).
Its on a residential mortgage, which has never been ideal.

Right now, I'm at the last stage of "buying" this house off my friend and having myself and my wife as owners.

Once that bit is done, I want to remortgage it again, but as a BTL.

That's not too hard, only I'm going to be stung with the 2nd house stamp duty on the transfer of equity / initial remortgage, which is going to be about £2000

That's not too tricky so far. But....

I want to move house - and I really don't want to sell the house I'm in - I want to rent that out too. Then I'll have 2 houses. The start of plan to change careers in the long term, or at least a great top up on my pension.

So its another BTL mortgage on my current home.

Then I'll be buying another home to actually live in. As I understand, it'll be THIS 3rd house that I'll have to pay 2nd home stamp duty on , so it will cost me about £7000 (including normal stamp duty), which is harsh but thems-the-rules I guess.

So I'm about £7000 down on 2nd home stamp duty.

I'm a higher rate tax payer, so I'm going to be paying 40% on the profits from the rent.
And I don't actually need the rent in my hand - Its more of a long term investment. Ideally to be saved until I have a 25% deposit for another house to rent etc etc until I have 5-6 houses. I wouldn't expect to take anything out of the company except expenses until I retire/ quit working in IT.

Seems to me like I'd be better off forming a limited company, transferring both rental houses into it.
Then I'd be able to claim back the £7000 in 2nd home stamp duty charges - although about £1500 would probably be lost to conveyancing costs

Any thoughts? Am I mistaken in anything I've suggested?

I was self-employed until recently, so I'm familiar with running a limited company

Is it any more difficult to get a mortgage for a limited company than it is as a personal BTL mortgage? More expensive?

Will most all-of-market mortgage brokers have access to both sides?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family