Options
2»

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    There is nothing stopping you putting a piece of paper on your windscreen with tax expiry date if that is what you need to help you remember. You could even add the insurance renewal date and MOT expiry date and make it even more useful than before!
    Didn't somebody make a fortune through flogging these, when the tax disc first found its rightful place in history - before Joe Public realised they were just paying a fiver for a round piece of paper they didn't even really need...?
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aside from all the comments saying it's down to you to remember ( which I totally agree with, by the way ), you may find this website useful :

www.memotome.com

Basically you can set up email reminders for any dates, and it'll send you an email 1 week, 1 month, whatever you choose, before the date is due. I use it for birthdays and such-like.

I have no affiliation with the company - just a satisfied user :)
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 October 2017 at 11:08AM
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    why wait to put it in the window?

Because it isn't (wasn't) valid until the starting date. If you renewed your tax disc several days in advance, that new disc doesn't start on the day you buy it. So technically you'd be displaying an invalid tax disc.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    p90 wrote: »
    I was wondering do they actually send the road tax reminders with any sort of confirmation that they have been received? am sure I didnt get mine but got the penalty notice couple of days back. I got the car in april 2008 and it came with 6 months road tax i put 6 months on then normally try to do the year but some how it ran out 2 months ago. The car has never been SORN so i would of thought it was like april and october for the months it needed taxed.
    Why are you not availing yourself of the direct debit facility? This would ensure the tax is renewed automatically without you needing to do anything.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    droopsnoot wrote: »
    Because it isn't (wasn't) valid until the starting date. If you renewed your tax disc several days in advance, that new disc doesn't start on the day you buy it. So technically you'd be displaying an invalid tax disc.
    Of course, this was the most trivially technical of offences that nobody was ever done for. You couldn't even buy a tax disc before a day or two "early" unless it was a renewal.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 7:15PM
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    why wait to put it in the window?

Because the new one wasn't valid until the month start date.
    ETA
    DirectGov said:
    A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200. The tax disc can not be transferred between vehicles.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even if you can't remember when it expires, it takes 30 seconds to look on line.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Of course, this was the most trivially technical of offences that nobody was ever done for. You couldn't even buy a tax disc before a day or two "early" unless it was a renewal.

I'm sure you're correct on the first point.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You don't even need the postal reminder to tax your vehicle. you can do it online from the 1st of the month using your V5C document reference number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure