How to get your credit back from GB energy?

Options
2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    colinblue wrote: »
    I got my new bill today. Went onto a new tariff in June and the increase in energy price is extortionate. Elec price doubled (from £29.81 March-June to £60.64 June-Sept) and gas tripled (£12.69 March-June to £33.58 June-Sept). I was £183 in credit, sitting in their accounts which went to £59 when I submitted my new readings today. I have now changed suppliers but is there any way of claiming this money back?

GBEnergy will raise a Final Bill once it has received verified meter readings from your new supplier. You will be billed up to the date of the transfer and on the amount of energy used at the agreed tariff rate. Credit/debit balances are pretty meaningless unless they are based on actual meter readings and then only on the day of those readings. You will be re-paid any credit due.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Options
    I am now eight weeks on and no final bill. GB Energy tell me that they haven't received the reading from my new supplier. I have my doubts about this but I have asked the question of my new supplier.
    Je suis sabot...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am now eight weeks on and no final bill. GB Energy tell me that they haven't received the reading from my new supplier. I have my doubts about this but I have asked the question of my new supplier.

And your new supplier is? What are GBEnergy doing about chasing up your new supplier for validated meter readings? Gently remind them that they have a Licence obligation to take reasonable steps to produce a Final Bill within 6 weeks of the actual supply transfer date. I say, gently, as lawyers make £Ms arguing about what is 'reasonable' and 'not reasonable' in contract terms.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Options
    Thanks, Hengus. GB Energy have been gently reminded.

I transferred to Together Energy on 31st July.
    Je suis sabot...
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Options
    Hengus -- a quick reply. Obviously, they do nothing until prodded.

"Could I gently remind you that you have a licence obligation to take reasonable steps to produce a final bill within six weeks of the supply transfer? What steps have you taken to get the reading from Together Energy?

You do actually have the reading as I sent it to new and old suppliers on the transfer day. However, I know you need this validated by the new supplier."

"Thank you for your email. Please be informed that we have now contacted your new supplier in order to receive your final readings as soon as possible.

As soon as we receive your final reading we will provide you with your final bill and we will issue any credit amount left on your account."

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused. Thank you for your patience."
    Je suis sabot...
  • sd99
    sd99 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    I transferred from GB to BG on 10th Aug and still yet to receive a final bill also. Yet I have already received my first bill from BG on 5th Sep stating the correct 'start' reading that I had previously provided.

The only contact I have since received from GB since initiating a switch, is two written letters of demand for the account balance to date, or they'll send in the bailiffs. Presumably this is because they stopped collecting my direct debit the moment I initiated my switch.

I tried to pay this via their website, but their webcode is lacking, as it didn't work (even though it said payment was accepted), and subsequently had to ring up and give my card details. They apologised and said that I should not have been sent the letters, and that I didn't have to pay until I had received my final bill, but I chose to pay there and then as I didn't trust their systems.

My final bill will be for about a weeks worth of energy, if/when I get it, who knows...
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had no complaints about GB Energy but that are being really difficult over returning my credit:

Thank you for contacting GB Energy Supply part of Co-Operative Energy.

We are sorry to inform you that we did not receive your closing meter readings yet. A disputed reads process is being done at this time. When this process comes to an end, your final meter readings will be accepted.

Please accept our deepest apologies for this delay.

I am not sure I believe this and I'm waiting to hear from my current supplier. There should be no dispute over the reading as I sent a photograph. This is ten weeks on.
    Je suis sabot...
  • sd99
    sd99 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Just reopening this - I moved away from GB at the start of August, and my account has been archived online so that I can still see my old bills - that's fine. However, I never received a final bill. I calculated that it would be less than a tenner (my account balance is actually zero), it seems a bit odd regardless.

I'm not worried - I'm not losing out, but it just strikes me as bizarre that their systems are not sending me this bill. I've happy switched my single fuel to another supplier, but wonder how long GB really have to chase this?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had to give them a closing meter reading that was the same as the opening from my new supplier and it finally triggered the final bill and the returning of my credit. So we got there in the end not for lack of persistence. Ultimately took three months to get it back sadly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure