IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

14 days

Options
abby1234519
abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
edited 6 September 2017 at 10:55AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
If an "offence" (parking for 19 minutes without paying) happened on the 6th August, and the ANPR "invoice" from HighView wasn't posted until the 23rd, does this basically mean it's invalid?

My understanding is that the below applies, my maths makes it 16/17 days from "offence" to posting the letter.

"The relevant period for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4) is the period of 14 days beginning with the day after that on which the specified period of parking ended."

Asking for a friend who's got yet another parking ticket, this is the first time I think she can not pay one.

Edit: Charge notice admits they don't know who the driver was so was going to defend on keeper liability and the fact that they have timed out on that
Money money money.

Debt
Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A notice to keeper needs to arrive within 15 calendar days of the date of "offence" for POFA 2012 to be relied upon to transfer liability from driver to keeper. (i.e. 14 calendar days after the offence, where day 1 is the day after the offence).

This will only be one appeal point though ... it won't make the PPC simply go away. See the NEWBIES thread.
  • abby1234519
    Options
    Hi thank you for your response,

I have read the newbies thread hence my question based on that thread.

I am assuming the ticket is indicating keeper liability because they state "you were the registered keeper at the time of parking" and on the back state that they have "reasonable cause to apply to the DVLA for details of the registered keeper".

The NTK arrived late whether it's 14 working days or 15 calendar days, I know it doesn't make it void but that means there is no keeper liability?

The newbie thread says "the a postal PCN has to arrive by day 14 if there was no windscreen ticket"

I don't quite understand:

"Some firms (e.g. Civil Enforcement, Highview, CP Plus, Smart Parking and some small PPCs) don't even bother with POFA 2012 wording so the keeper is not liable if you point that out to POPLA. So you can see why the keeper is the person identified in your appeal."

What does this mean? Does it mean because they don't use that wording, the keeper just isn't liable?

Thanks
    Money money money.

Debt

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It means that they can't transfer liability to the keeper.

My appeal would simply say -
    1. I am the keeper, not the driver at the time and I reserve my right not to name the driver.

2. You have failed to follow the strict timescale laid down in POFA 2012 and taken longer than the 15 days to get the NtK to me. You have, therefore, lost the right to pass liability on to me as registered keeper.

3. I invite you to cancel the charge or send me a POPLA code where I will take delight in costing you £27 using this and other appeal points with my appeal to POPLA.

The above applies to PPCs who are NOT in the IPC. The IAS tend to play fast and loose and make the altogether biased view that if it's your car and you don't name the driver it's because you were driving.
  • abby1234519
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    It means that they can't transfer liability to the keeper.

My appeal would simply say -
    1. I am the keeper, not the driver at the time and I reserve my right not to name the driver.

2. You have failed to follow the strict timescale laid down in POFA 2012 and taken longer than the 15 days to get the NtK to me. You have, therefore, lost the right to pass liability on to me as registered keeper.

3. I invite you to cancel the charge or send me a POPLA code where I will take delight in costing you £27 using this and other appeal points with my appeal to POPLA.

The above applies to PPCs who are NOT in the IPC. The IAS tend to play fast and loose and make the altogether biased view that if it's your car and you don't name the driver it's because you were driving.
    They are park of the BPA but I guess thats neither here nor there!

My letter does cover your points, thanks for confirming. I say my letter, I've written it for my friend and we've submitted it online. Now just got to wait, I fully expect to escalate it to POPLA
    Money money money.

Debt

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 September 2017 at 3:26PM
    Options
    it isnt a case of being "invalid"

its a valid ticket to a driver, but issued to a keeper despite failing POFA2012

so as they failed POFA2012 , the keeper can and does say FRO and contact the driver (who shall not be named) - catch 22 , they dont know who was driving and nobody will tell them

so its the failure to comply with POFA2012 that makes it irrelevant to holding a keeper liable for a drivers actions

once the game is up they usually cancel, OR you use legal arguments at popla , such as failing the POFA test , to get popla to cancel it

at the moment , its see who blinks first, but they are hoping the keeper will fall for their tricks and wont know their rights

as the keeper has appealed and shown up their failings , they are likely to cancel it as a non-starter

you are not looking for it being "invalid" , you are looking for , and found , a technicality to get it cancelled , hence the appeal that was eventually made
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,039 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Highview usually give up at the first hurdle!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just search the forum for Highview...

...beat the 2 hour challenge tomorrow!

Surely you read other Highview threads as a first step - this is one of the easiest ones.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • abby1234519
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Just search the forum for Highview...

...beat the 2 hour challenge tomorrow!

Surely you read other Highview threads as a first step - this is one of the easiest ones.

Yes of course I have read the forum, nothing wrong with asking for clarification! Wouldn't want to submit something wrong and shoot myself in the foot. Which is something I do frequently:rotfl:

The irony is, I can't check with my friend to see if she's had a response from Highview as she's currently on a speed awareness course......
    Money money money.

Debt

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooh the irony!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure