Ebay/Paypal seller protection??

Options
2»

Comments

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    I won a few in the past. One I can think of was a wholesale lot that I'd sold (it was a product that was sold in Tesco at the time). Buyer tried to sell them on Ebay but had overpriced them and also overpaid in the first place (it was an auction). A few attempts at selling later the buyer complained that they weren't to standard and he wanted a full refund. I sent Ebay a link to the Tesco product and to the listings where the buyer had attempted to sell them and failed. They found in my favour, I think the buyer was suspended too.

Interestingly I have lost a similar case!

I was selling item A in full working order. Ebay image and listing showed the serial number.

Buyer buys my item. He is selling the same item, but broken.

I get a Return request and his broken item back. I take a photo of his return, showing the serial number doesn't match my listing and pointing to his listing. I lose the case (and get a black mark for escalation) within 23 minutes.

I went to MoneyClaim.gov.uk, got my 25 quid back, my item cost back, my seller fees back lost via losing a case, my Paypal fees back. and all postage costs back, inbound and outboard.. And I filed an ActionFraud case against the buyer.

But I lost via Ebay with what I thought was 100% watertight. But I do file against any fraudulent buyer, regardless if it make economic sense for me to do so, on a point of principle.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    To play devils advocate for a minute... Knowing everything I do about eBay buyer protection, if I bought a VCR on eBay and it appeared to work fine, I told the seller it worked and left good feedback and after a couple of uses something inside the machine stopped working, I would probably be extremely peeved and seek to redress the situation.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    To play devils advocate for a minute... Knowing everything I do about eBay buyer protection, if I bought a VCR on eBay and it appeared to work fine, I told the seller it worked and left good feedback and after a couple of uses something inside the machine stopped working, I would probably be extremely peeved and seek to redress the situation.

I don't disagree in principle, but the 'stops working' is the sticking point. Ebay is not supposed to offer a guarantee for goods - if it did not work immediately, its not as described. if it goes wrong (for used good from a private seller), I am not so sure?

Did the buyer use an old tape that chewed up the machine? Did it 'stop working' after he put something in the wrong way.

We all know which way Ebay will decide but 'stopped working'; doesn't mean shoddy goods 100% of the time...or even its the seller who has sold something faulty. Without looking at these sort of nuances you can't have a protection scheme that works equally for buyers AND sellers.
  • paypalvictim
    Options
    Thank you and definitely if as a seller you have to supply something as described in the listing how can you be held responsible for an item ceasing to work especially as you cannot guard against misuse. I have had my share of items that when I have received have been not as described or there has been a glaring ommission in the desription(such as damage). Even a buyer who bought an item said it hadn't arrived & upon looking at sold item has sold it on & received feedback. In the end you have to guage whether its worth it selling/buying on ebay.
  • paypalvictim
    Options
    Thank you point of principle is definitely the thing. Its not a lot of money but when you are an honest buyer/seller with realistic expectations,people taking advantage hits hard.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry but what is the relevancy of this when the whole thread is about a PayPal case?
    Because the title starts eBay/Paypal seller protection and I'm talking about a case where eBay protection worked for a seller. Now as the OP says...
    Thank you for the info I was thinking that ebay should be involved although buyer had gone to paypal. It does bring into question the mismatch of ebay/paypal and how this is 'shifting sand' as far as private sellers are treated.
    The fact that the buyer went straight to PayPal and got a result when they possibly wouldn't have if they'd gone through eBay is a key part of the problem. Especially when it's more difficult to use eBay without offering PayPal.

A buyer is entitled to be peeved if they buy something and it packs up shortly after - but if it's used and no guarantee was offered - that's tough. Everybody who buys a second-hand car from a private sale runs that risk and it's up to the buyer to prove that the seller knowingly sold a defective item (which is nigh on impossible to do). From the story here - the buyer has lied to PayPal to obtain the refund and been believed despite evidence of their story changing.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everybody who buys a second-hand car from a private sale runs that risk and it's up to the buyer to prove that the seller knowingly sold a defective item
    But you can't compare buying a used car with this. A closer comparison would be comparing it to buying electronic equipment in a shop - which is the kind of place eBay is moving towards, where it wants to place itself in the marketplace. And if you compare it with a retail shop, the odds are stacked very differently.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    But you can't compare buying a used car with this. A closer comparison would be comparing it to buying electronic equipment in a shop - which is the kind of place eBay is moving towards, where it wants to place itself in the marketplace. And if you compare it with a retail shop, the odds are stacked very differently.
    Well you can because the same law applies to all private sales.

Ebay and Paypal have their own rules which have no basis in law. They will refund the seller and hold you liable but they have no legal claim to make you pay them back.

The downside is you lose the use of the account you decide not to pay back, in this case Paypal, so can you live without a Paypal account? Personally it would be very difficult for me without a Paypal account.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you and definitely if as a seller you have to supply something as described in the listing how can you be held responsible for an item ceasing to work especially as you cannot guard against misuse.

In the end you have to guage whether its worth it selling/buying on ebay.
    Swinging it round if you buy a working item you should expect it to work for a certain amount of time. I suspect if you's listed it as not working you'd have got a similar price and not had the return to deal with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure