University maintence of £11,500 as mentioned by ML

Options
Hi looking for some guidance what to do here, my daughter starts University in UCA Rochester this September doing an Art degree. She is brilliant at what she does but is useless with money and figures. She doesn’t spend too much on the whole but she just doesn’t understand the finance part and is a bit too relaxed about money sometimes I feel.

Anyway so I had to step in and I have programmed everything in my diary for her so that we applied for everything on time. We have applied for the accommodation that is tied with the university which will work out a fraction under £5,000 per year and includes all bills, not food obviously. The rooms are really nicely equipped and so they are the favoured/most popular choice to stay while studying there.

I have applied with her for her loans and apparently what we have been granted is the maximum which is £9,250 for the course which will go straight to the university and £8,793 for maintenance, £5,000 of which will be eaten up by the accommodation.

This leaves her £3,793 for food, kitchen utensils, linen, study supplies and travel plus they advised her that she should buy a laptop in the first year. This seems like she is going to struggle. She will get a part time job but will be limited by the amount of homework she has to do, I think they suggest a maximum of 15 hours per week for a part time job not to interfere with studies.

We are on low income of £11,000 which my wife brings in working as a caterer at a local school. As well as my 18 year old daughter we have a 12 year old boy so on top of the income we get child and working tax credits and child benefit. This will reduce in September when my daughter leaves to live near the university (over 50 miles from us, we’re in Surrey and she will be in Kent). I am starting to make some income by growing some investments as this will become our income, however the income is currently very small and is taken via ISA’s and SIPP’s and so does not factor in when doing income calculations although currently it would have little effect anyway if it did, as I need to grow things a bit if this is to succeed.

Martin Lewis was on TV recently and kept mentioning that students could get up to £11,500 for maintenance costs so I followed this up realising that first we needed to get her basic loans sorted so that we know what she has first, well this has been done. Next I followed the instructions and went to the Gov.uk site and it said to ask your university who may offer bursaries and things of that nature. I did this and the university said unfortunately they don’t do anything like that except in extreme case and that she would almost certainly fail with any claim as it was her first year (I gave them all our details so they could gauge what we could do).

So is there anything else we can do to get my daughters maintenance figure up from £8793 to £11,500?

How is this usually achieved?

Any help/guidance appreciated.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The "up to" in ML's article refers to the maximum available, which would be for students studying in London.

Full table is here.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • happyhero
    happyhero Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    The "up to" in ML's article refers to the maximum available, which would be for students studying in London.

Full table is here.

Hello silercar, ok thanks for that, I didn't realise that part. So is there any way she can boost her money or should I take it that we have achieved maximum?

I suppose someone in London might get the £11,500 and get a bursary on top, so i was thinking along those lines to top hers up.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She tops it up by working her backside off during the summer holidays. I had over £1200 saved from working in retail the summer before I started university and did the same the following year. I graduated 30 years ago so I would expect she could earn and save at least this much as I was on less than £2/hour at C&A.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Options
    My DD gets a maintenance loan of around 3.7k, is the lowest one. Her accommodation is 4.2k. The way the ML is paid means she doesn't pay all out at once as accommodation is also paid in 3 installments.

She has had a job from day one. She works all over summer, every holiday and days not at uni. Yes I appreciate she's lucky in getting the job, but she dropped CVS in hundreds of places, she certainly did the leg work.

I give her £20 every Friday on a direct debit. That way I know she always has food, should she use it on other stuff, that's her choice.

Sometimes she wishes she got more ML but it only means more to pay back, she manages with working and has learnt to make her money stretch.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    Hi OP,
    I live and work near the UCA, and there are loads of restaurants and cafe places nearly, plus tons of Tescos and Asdas etc. They are always looking for part time staff, so see if she can make that a priority when she gets there :)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    She can also look at whether there are any bursaries available, and possibly grants from external bodies (although there is usually a lot of competition for these).
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    On the positive, she wont have enough money to waste on alcohol!!
  • Sandy75
    Sandy75 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    15 hours part time work is insufficient. I worked 30 throughout my degree and two jobs in the summer.

Both the students union and the university itself should have hardship funds if things get tricky.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How many contact hours will be having during the week. I did nursing and my course contact hours was full on compared to standard uni courses. We were in pretty much every day 9-5. I imagine her course won!!!8217;t have as many contact hours so she has the days to do her studying. Maybe she could do a few hours work on evening and weekends. It!!!8217;s all amount gone management.

Most employers near unis will understand the restrictions on days that they can work.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Options
    Looking at it another way, allowing her almost £800 for lap top, bedding etc, and say she is away 44 weeks, that's just over £65 a week. Totally doable.

Add a job and she will have even more.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure