PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ground rent scandal - PETITION

Options
Ground rent must be ABOLISHED for ALL leases, not just new ones

Onerous ground rent clauses must become a thing of the past: people with doubling ground rent are now struggling to sell their properties.

Please sign and most importantly SHARE the following petition:

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/214195
(copy and paste the above in your browser as I am not able to post links as a new user)

We need 100,000 signatures for the Parliament to debate on it

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ASGM wrote: »

Onerous ground rent clauses must become a thing of the past: people with doubling ground rent are now struggling to sell their properties.

(copy and paste the above in your browser as I am not able to post links as a new user)

They would have known about this before they bought though, or did they think property prices would more than make up for it?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2018 at 8:30PM
    Options
    Restricting increases linked to hpi or similar might be a better solution.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/214195
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I don't think doubling every 25 years is particularly onerous, it is less than 3% per annum.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    While I disagree with ground rents that double every ten years, I can't see the government bringing in a retroactive law on this. While Parliament can do this, it's always controversial. Essentially, you'd be depriving someone of income to which they were previously legally entitled.

As much as it sucks, the homeowners and their solicitors are responsible for making such a bad deal. I'd rather those legal professionals who were negligent in spelling out the consequences were dealt with.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Options
    kinger101 wrote: »
    While I disagree with ground rents that double every ten years, I can't see the government bringing in a retroactive law on this. While Parliament can do this, it's always controversial. Essentially, you'd be depriving someone of income to which they were previously legally entitled.

As much as it sucks, the homeowners and their solicitors are responsible for making such a bad deal. I'd rather those legal professionals who were negligent in spelling out the consequences were dealt with.

I considered investing in ground rents about 6 years ago, but I decided that I was too old (I was 54 at the time), plus I was concerned about the legislation risk.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

That's nice. You realise the freeholders will need to be compensated (basic ECHR principles here) - so are the leaseholders paying that? Could be a chunky sum involved. Or are they hoping the rest of us will chip in for them?
  • ASGM
    ASGM Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Hi davidmcn

If the government abolishes ground rent only for new leases existing leases may suddenly lose value and be significantly affected- how fair is that?

The government must not leave hundreds of thousands of homeowners behind

Re doubling ground rent clauses, most banks who previously approved mortgages on properties with such clauses now they don’t: if freeholders do nothing again I think the government must intervene to push for a change in the legislation and coherently with its plans on new leases propose to abolish this Middle Age ground rent regime once and for all
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 March 2018 at 1:04AM
    Options
    If the government abolishes ground rent only for new leases existing leases may suddenly lose value and be significantly affected- how fair is that?

It's a whole lot fairer than the taxpayer compensating the current freeholders, which they would probably be required to do if the government introduced a retroactive law which deprived someone of their assets. I already resent the bad deals struck for PPI. I don't wont to have to fork out for every private citizen that makes a bad bargain due to lack of due diligence.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi davidmcn

The government must not leave hundreds of thousands of homeowners behind

Re doubling ground rent clauses, most banks who previously approved mortgages on properties with such clauses now they don’t: if freeholders do nothing again I think the government must intervene to push for a change in the legislation and coherently with its plans on new leases propose to abolish this Middle Age ground rent regime once and for all

You haven't answered my point - it isn't possible for Parliament to simply "abolish" anybody's property rights. They need to provide for adequate compensation. Which presumably in this case would be coming from the relevant leaseholders? Do they all want to pay out the monies involved?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,176 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2018 at 12:19AM
    Options
    They knew about this when buying.

As for doubling every 10/25 years. People's rent usually increase £40-£50 a month each year and others say well it's the market rate, it's no different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure