PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I leave my tenancy before end of contract?

Options
13»

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    True, but not everyone is that kind of tenant though it is easy to forget that on this board. Not everyone wants the hassle. Some prefer to abide by the rules and not go out of their way to cause themselves or their LLs a load of legal hassle, to say nothing of expense. Some tenants behave with decency. Let us hope the OP's LL does so too.
    Which 'rules'?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Which 'rules'?

Those of decency. Google it if you don't know what it means.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Those of decency. Google it if you don't know what it means.
    I know the meaning, I just don't understand the relevance. I don't concern myself with mr Sainsbury's, I see no reason to do so here.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    What has a supermarket to say to anything regarding renting? Oh, don't bother.
  • Comms69
    Options
    What has a supermarket to say to anything regarding renting? Oh, don't bother.
    I simply meant these are commercial relationships, and should be treated as such.

I wouldn't waive my rights for consumer goods, so why would I as a tenant?
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Smodlet, either we have quite different views of decency, or you're extrapolating to the general case when I was being very specific to the OP.

The OP and their landlord had been mutually agreeing 3-month extensions. However, the OP was now buying a property and wanted their tenancy to run up to completion on their property instead of staying for 3 months. I don't think it would be in any way "indecent" of a tenant in this situation to say "no, sorry, I don't want to sign another fixed term contract as I intend to leave within the next 3 months". If the landlord chose to respond to this by serving a section 21, I think that's a pretty significant breach of the "rules of decency" on THEIR part, and I wouldn't see any issue with the tenant staying until their completion date as long as that was before a court granted possession to the landlord.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Thank you, Pants; that makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts