LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Options

Comments

• lonelyrat
    Options
    Spent £7.40 in Aldi... Needed veg and a few bits. They also had some little mini pies on offer for 50% off so got a nice Feta and Spinach one which will be my lunch tomorrow :cool:

Made Steak and Ale pie for dinner which was lovely. My first attempt at making pastry though (used pre rolled last time) and it was a bit of a disaster :eek: The filling was great but the pastry was no bueno - will definitely need to practice.

Also felt very tired after dinner and me and OH wen't to have a lie down/ cuddle.... ONLY JUST WOKE UP! Not feeling great as now worried I won't be able to sleep tonight :(

No dd's have left my bills account yet... I feel like I'm just playing a waiting game always. They should maybe be Monday/ Tuesday so after that I should be able to transfer some extra to the Santander card.

Was working out how much overtime I need to do to make a decent wage. Probably between 25 - 30 hours a month which is very doable if they offer it! There still isn't any available really, all I've managed to put through is 10 hours which won't help too much. It will pay for my season ticket deduction I suppose, but won't give me anything extra. Will keep checking the message board at work religiously :A

In work tomorrow but hoping for a quiet day. Need to call our Emergency line at half 6 to make sure we are actually open. I don't want to travel for 45 minutes to be told to just go home!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Day off today and nothing to report. NSD which is always good :) Going to aim for another one tomorrow.

I am panicking a tiny bit at how little money I really do have this month. It's only been 3 days since payday and I'm already in a flap :( I know I made the choice to go part time for the sake of my mental health but I am worried it was the wrong decision. I don't know if I should have held off until I had more debt gone... Nothing I can do about it now though I suppose :o

I hate that I seem to be wishing my life away always waiting for payday.
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    Pastry is a pain! I loved once upon a time, it’s silly but really enjoyable. Not keen on the “revamp” that’s been the latest season though. I clearly don’t like change :’)
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    edited 23 January 2018 at 8:33PM
    Options
    Oh Silver Queen the pastry was such a disaster! Will not be trying again for a wee while I think! I'm on Season 5 at the moment and am really enjoying it. It is very silly but I think that's why I like it... It's just pure escapism! I usually watch shows that can be a bit darker so having something like this is nice. I'll be sad when I'm all caught up. I'm not a fan of change either though so we'll see how I feel when I get to the latest season! I'll keep you posted :rotfl: I'm not sure if I've read your thread or not. Will jump over and check it out when back from the shops :)

Dd's all come out the bills account now and I had more in there than I anticipated. I always round up the dds and leave some extra in the account anyway but I think this time I rounded up too much as had quite a bit left... Better than having too little I suppose! Have now transferred £150 to the Santander CC so that's brought that balance down a fair chunk which is nice! I'm also expecting some money from OH when he gets his student loan payment at the beginning of Feb so that will be going to Savings/ rat fund.

Ideally I'd like to have £300 or more in the savings before we go to Copenhagen in March. Then the plan will be either use the Monzo or the Santander CC as a back up card (0% fx fees). If I do have to use the Santander card I will be paying off what I use straight away from the Savings and will not use more than I have saved.

Day off today and just lounged about (watching more Once Upon A Time :cool:). Going to pop to the shops and get a bottle of wine as me and OH going to make a nice dinner and watch a film tonight :o
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 24 January 2018 at 4:16PM
    Options
    Hi lonelyrat.I am very new to the Debt Diaries forum and have just set up my own diary,(Dusty's Frugal Fortnights),though I only have one final £19 payment to Arg*s to be debt free.:j:j
    I do think though that having a place where I can post mindful attempts to improve my life in all sorts of areas - diet,drink,exercise,saving,organizing and decluttering to name a few - as I think writing down what you actually want to do at least makes you try to do something.
    But of course the minute I started I have been super busy and have hardly posted!:mad::mad: But I am determined to get into it.
    I really admire your determination,and I am enthralled with your posts. Keep it up!
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    HI Dusty! Thanks for popping in :) That's amazing how close you are to being debt free! I'm a little bit jealous but happy for you all the same haha! Soon that will be me... just need to persevere. I have an app on my phone that counts down days and I've set my Debt Free Date on it... Only 175 more days to go! :cool:

I'm finding that posting here more regularly is really enjoyable and like you say I am more likely to try something if I post it here

How are you finding Slimming World? Loads of my colleagues use it and have lost a lot of weight so I've been toying with the idea for a while... It's just quite expensive and I don't know if I can commit to it while I'm this skint :eek: I may bite the bullet as I am overweight and would love to shift some of it. We shall see... Maybe I can find some room in my budget!
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 25 January 2018 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Perhaps you shouldnt divert from paying off your debts for now,lonelyrat! There is a great support group for SW here on on MSE,with a neat tabling of SW facts and plans,and masses of meal suggestions from the group members.At the moment we are doing a challenge to lose 9lbs each before March,but thats not compulsory.I have definitely focused more on slimming since joining.
    check out - moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5766275#topofpage

.......or maybe not.:rotfl::rotfl:Tried copy and pasting the thread,but not working.I am totally a technological dinosaur! I never learned to type.strictly 2 fingered,and never touched a computer till I was in my sixties,so I am very hit and miss with links etc.:D:D:D
    Anyway the group is found on the Health and Beauty forum,under Slimming Through the Winter,sorry for no quick link!
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Aww thank you Dusty! I will definitely go check it out :) I'll leave joining Slimming World right now and may join as a reward for doing (the dreaded) Overtime - if I ever manage to get any! :mad: All the requests I put through were declined today as they capped the offers after I applied :( Nothing on the go for the next few weeks as well which really isn't ideal. I may see if I can find a part time evening/weekend job to top up my sad little wage.... I don't know how likely it will be that I can find one but I can try.

Had a look for accommodation for Copenhagen and managed to find something £100 cheaper than what I'd already booked :beer: Cancelled the old booking and re-booked with this new one. So saving some money which is always ideal. Best thing is the new place has a small kitchen so we can save money on meals out as well!

Took little lady rat to the vet today about her lump as it's gotten quite a bit bigger since her last visit. I was hoping to see if she would do surgery to remove it but she seemed quite against it. She says lady rat has lost quite a fair bit of weight which means she is more likely to not wake up from the anaesthetic. She said she would book us in if we wanted but she wasn't too optimistic about it. So we've had a think and we'll just leave her as she is now and then when she starts to stop doing the things she enjoys take her in and have her PTS. It's really hard because I feel like we're just doing nothing and I feel quite helpless. Vet did say she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at the moment which is my main concern. Going to book in her cagemate for a check up in the next few days as well as I'm concerned she's either got a pituitary tumour or an ear infection. If it's the tumour then we'll likely have to say goodbye to both of them pretty soon :( Maybe it's for the best though as they shouldn't be kept on their own. Gahhh. I feel so guilty and useless. My main concern is either of them being in pain but that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

On more positive note the vet only charged us £8 for the visit and it should have been more than that. She said the boss was on holiday so she could get away with it! Also 173 days till I'm debt free! (Although today has only just begun so that's a bit of a cop out).

Had an issue with a self scanner at Tesco on Wednesday... I paid an odd amount in change in then put a round figure on my Tesco cc by scanning their Pay+ app but I think I confused the machine and it just completely froze! They asked me to pay again, which I did, but I could already see it had come off my Tesco card balance so I had thought it was going to be a whole rigmarole of contacting customer service etc. to get a refund BUT they handled it really well in the shop. The lady helping me just took my number and called me about half an hour after we left and said the machine had finally spat out a receipt so she had my refund in cash if I wanted to go in for it. I'm neutral money-wise but still feels like a win not having to chase it. Paid the cc off using my current account and just going to keep the cash in my purse.

Got £65 left of the cash I'd taken out and £40 in the spending account. Got plenty of food in and me and OH have quit the booze again (only as of yesterday, but still, it's an improvement) so that should save us some money this month :)
  • lonelyrat
    edited 26 January 2018 at 6:31AM
    Options
    I was so shattered after work yesterday that I fell asleep right after the vets... Woke up about 11pm and have been up since :( Starting to feel tired again but have to be up for work in an hour and a half. I don't know if I should push through and try and stay up or if I should have another wee snooze. Ho Hum... I don't think I'll ever have a regular sleeping pattern :(

Rejigged my spreadsheet a bit as I was always going payday to payday but now I've decided to budget from the beginning of the calendar month to the end. Got a new app for tracking spending as well so spent the past 20 mins going through my transactions from various accounts to consolidate my ins and outs in one place. Currently my spreadsheet just has a "spends" section so doesn't really tell me what I'm spending on. I think this should help keep me focused as I know I do still fritter money away.

Sorted out my clubcard app as well as I received the physical card today.

Today I need to:
    1. Email HR again as my proof of season ticket purchase wasn't sufficient
    2. Call vet
    3. Call Tesco Bank
    4. Text friend who just had a baby to organise a meet up
    5. Laundry (wash and sort)
    6. Shower
    7. Try a new face mask (friend from work just got back from holiday in Hong Kong and surprised me with loads of face masks so going to give myself a wee pamper session)
    8. Try to get to sleep at a reasonable time?!

Have a good day everyone :j
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Hmmm so yesterday was a bit of a write off :rotfl: I tried to go back to sleep at 3 am but didn't have any success so just stayed up then left for work at 6. By home time I was totally and completely shattered. I had a vending machine coffee for the first time since August last year... I was proud of kicking my buying food/ drink at work habit but I just couldn't make it through the day! Full of regret - 80p down and it tasted god awful.

Made chicken, haggis, neeps and tatties for dinner yesterday - a bit belated for Burns night but it was very yummy all the same!

Because I was so tired I didn't really manage much on my to do list :o I ended up snoozing at about half 7! Slept straight through to 6 this morning which was amazing. Never have I been so refreshed in my life...

To do:
    [STRIKE]1. Email HR again as my proof of season ticket purchase wasn't sufficient
    [/STRIKE][STRIKE]2. Call vet [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]3. Call Tesco Bank
    [/STRIKE]Turns out I don't actually need to which is good. I hate speaking on the phone (... and I work in a call centre, oh the irony!)
    4. Text friend who just had a baby to organise a meet up
    Will do this this evening
    5. Laundry (wash and sort)
    Will do this tomorrow as is my day off
    [STRIKE]6. Shower
    [/STRIKE]7. Try the new face mask
    Will do this tonight
    [STRIKE]8. Try to get to sleep at a reasonable time[/STRIKE]
    Was 7pm reasonable?!

Having so much fun with my new spending tracker app thing (how sad am I?). It's got an option of adding in regular outgoings so I've input all my dd's so I don't need to do them again. It has a little pie chart for your expenses and I'm sad to say that 'credit card payments' is my largest part of the pie :( Only 172 days to go so need to keep my chin up.

Researching things to do in Copenhagen and how to travel about and there's something called a Copenhagen Card which looks pretty good. You get it for a certain amount of hours and can travel on all their public transport and get free entry into museums and stuff so am considering getting that for us. Going to add up the price of the Card then the price of individual activities/ sights that I want us to see and work out if it actually will be the most economical.

Still haven't found OH's passport so that will be my task for tomorrow... I did ask him about it a few weeks ago so I'm worried if I mention it again it may arouse suspicion. Being sneaky is not my forte :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport