Ring video doorbell

Options
2»

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2017 at 1:13PM
    Options
    That's a lot of bloody money for a doorbell........

Wireless IP camera = £35-£50
    Wired doorbell = £20

I already have a CCTV camera at my front door and I got so sick of unreliable wireless doorbells that I made my own wired doorbell from stuff I had in my spare parts draw.
    My CCTV is accessible from anywhere in the world on any PC/phone/tablet that I happen to have access to.

If you think about it, by the time you've got your phone to check who is at the door, they either going to have heard you fumbling about OR they're going to leave.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    That's a lot of bloody money for a doorbell........

Wireless IP camera = £35-£50
    Wired doorbell = £20

I already have a CCTV camera at my front door and I got so sick of unreliable wireless doorbells that I made my own wired doorbell from stuff I had in my spare parts draw.
    My CCTV is accessible from anywhere in the world on any PC/phone/tablet that I happen to have access to.

If you think about it, by the time you've got your phone to check who is at the door, they either going to have heard you fumbling about OR they're going to leave.
    How do you hear your wired doorbell prompting you to access your IP camera remotely when you're not at home?

That's the point of these Ring doorbells. Haven't you seen the TV ads?

However I do agree they are too bloody expensive!
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Ring.

It was wider than the frame on my door.

I'm getting the pro, and it will be on the brick work, not on my lovely new door frame.
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    I'm getting the pro, and it will be on the brick work, not on my lovely new door frame.
    How do stop them getting pinched?
  • Annie1960
    Options
    custardy wrote: »

If it was still the 1980s I would be interested in this. These days I just prefer to pay someone to deal with things for me.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    lovinituk wrote: »
    How do stop them getting pinched?

Ring promoses to replace free if it's stolen.

Mine will be wired in, so harder to pinch.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    How do you hear your wired doorbell prompting you to access your IP camera remotely when you're not at home?

That's the point of these Ring doorbells. Haven't you seen the TV ads?

However I do agree they are too bloody expensive!

Why do I need to? it's not as if I can just up sticks and teleport myself 20 miles in time to answer the door.

My CCTV records motion events, so I can check that at any time (useful to know if the postie has left a package in my utilities cupboard).

When i'm at home, the CCTV calls out a motion alarm, so I often know someone is there before the bell rings.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Why do I need to? it's not as if I can just up sticks and teleport myself 20 miles in time to answer the door.

My CCTV records motion events, so I can check that at any time (useful to know if the postie has left a package in my utilities cupboard).

When i'm at home, the CCTV calls out a motion alarm, so I often know someone is there before the bell rings.
    You're missing the point. The unique selling point of the Ring is that you CAN see who is at your door even when you're not at home. Your suggested alternative does not have that function so is irrelevant to someone looking to buy the Ring.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    You're missing the point. The unique selling point of the Ring is that you CAN see who is at your door even when you're not at home. Your suggested alternative does not have that function so is irrelevant to someone looking to buy the Ring.

You can also speak to the caller via the Ring. It is supposed to make them believe you are at home but can't come to the door.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure